Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Picklepaige's Avatar
Picklepaige Picklepaige is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,527
Default

Yeah, my shelter (in Mississippi, where there actually IS overpopulation, if only regional) wouldn't be almost approaching "no kill" status if it weren't for sending dogs up north. We send mostly puppies, which apparently northern shelters don't have much of. My shelter probably gets in 5-10 litters of puppies every day, if not more. It takes forever to adopt out puppies of any size and shape here, especially black lab/mix pups, and from what I've heard, they get snatched up in northern shelters.

So if they can get adopted quickly in the north as opposed to dying here, why not send them?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 28,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
I just don't think it's right to judge people from a high horse because they make different choices.

So no. No brownie points. No cookies. No dog biscuits. ;-)
I see this attitude a lot. Why do 'breeder' people care if people feel good about rescuing? Why shouldn't they feel good about rescuing? They took a dog facing an unknown fate and loved that dog and gave it a good home. It's a good thing to do. Saying rescuing is a good thing to do doesn't mean it's everything everyone HAS to do. It doesn't mean I did a BAD thing by purchasing my dogs from a breeder. It seems like as much as certain rescue folks are out there to demonize breeders, there's a section of people that purchased pets out there trying to prove that rescuing dogs does no good. Both are extremely irrational thought patterns.

One of my friends wears rescue shirts all the time, has rescue dogs rock bumper stickers and things like that all over her car. It has NOTHING to do with me and my dogs. Why do people see that as 'holier than thou'? It's a cause she's active in and devotes a lot of time to so she 'advertises' it. I volunteer quite a bit in non-dog ways and I wear my shirts and things from my causes. How is hers different? All her dogs are rescues, she fosters dogs and cats all the time for rescues, and... that has nothing to do with me at all. I love her dogs, she loves my dogs. Why do people seem to want a divide there when there is none?

I do think her decision to rescue and foster dogs is a GREAT thing and something all dog lovers should praise and encourage. She definitely gets 'brownie points' in my books for helping out so many lives. Volunteering and doing good things should be recognized and encouraged.

Very rarely do I come across people that are judgmental about my dogs being from a breeder. And those that are are usually not dog people at all. In fact the only one that I really got berated by was a guy that admittedly hates dogs and never wants a pet. And yet he insinuated I didn't care about dogs if they didn't have a pedigree simply because I purchased my dogs.... I'm not going to take someone who hates dogs opinion and give it much value.
__________________
Mia and Summer
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I see this attitude a lot. Why do 'breeder' people care if people feel good about rescuing? Why shouldn't they feel good about rescuing? They took a dog facing an unknown fate and loved that dog and gave it a good home. It's a good thing to do. Saying rescuing is a good thing to do doesn't mean it's everything everyone HAS to do. It doesn't mean I did a BAD thing by purchasing my dogs from a breeder. It seems like as much as certain rescue folks are out there to demonize breeders, there's a section of people that purchased pets out there trying to prove that rescuing dogs does no good. Both are extremely irrational thought patterns.

One of my friends wears rescue shirts all the time, has rescue dogs rock bumper stickers and things like that all over her car. It has NOTHING to do with me and my dogs. Why do people see that as 'holier than thou'? It's a cause she's active in and devotes a lot of time to so she 'advertises' it. I volunteer quite a bit in non-dog ways and I wear my shirts and things from my causes. How is hers different? All her dogs are rescues, she fosters dogs and cats all the time for rescues, and... that has nothing to do with me at all. I love her dogs, she loves my dogs. Why do people seem to want a divide there when there is none?

I do think her decision to rescue and foster dogs is a GREAT thing and something all dog lovers should praise and encourage. She definitely gets 'brownie points' in my books for helping out so many lives. Volunteering and doing good things should be recognized and encouraged.

Very rarely do I come across people that are judgmental about my dogs being from a breeder. And those that are are usually not dog people at all. In fact the only one that I really got berated by was a guy that admittedly hates dogs and never wants a pet. And yet he insinuated I didn't care about dogs if they didn't have a pedigree simply because I purchased my dogs.... I'm going to take someone who hates dogs opinion and give it much value.


I agree with absolutely everything you said.

------

Friend and I just drove down to rural Virginia this afternoon and adopted a lovely little hound for her that would have otherwise languished in the shelter for a great length of time (or not as long, if they filled up rapidly). The lady at the info desk said they got 29 dumped hounds yesterday alone.

I absolutely feel good that my friend chose to give a dog a great life outside of a kennel, and I was able to help her navigate and work through the process. Why shouldn't I feel good about that? Doggy is happy, person is happy, shelter is happy. No downside.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM
ruffiangirl's Avatar
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
Yeah, my shelter (in Mississippi, where there actually IS overpopulation, if only regional) wouldn't be almost approaching "no kill" status if it weren't for sending dogs up north. We send mostly puppies, which apparently northern shelters don't have much of. My shelter probably gets in 5-10 litters of puppies every day, if not more. It takes forever to adopt out puppies of any size and shape here, especially black lab/mix pups, and from what I've heard, they get snatched up in northern shelters.

So if they can get adopted quickly in the north as opposed to dying here, why not send them?
I think swapping dogs from a highly dog populated area to a less dog populated area, especially when done between shelters/rescues is different then a separate group importing dozens or hundreds of dogs, from other countries, with no regard into what dogs are already sitting in the local shelters.

Thats why I wonder will people choose random shepherd mix A over random Shepherd mix B simply because its from Greece via pictures on the internet?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
Thats why I wonder will people choose random shepherd mix A over random Shepherd mix B simply because its from Greece via pictures on the internet?
Well, if they did... don't both dogs need homes? Other than maybe not being the most efficient use of monetary resources, is it inherently wrong?

What I'm interested in is that once a dog is taken into a home, it stays in that home. And if someone bonds more strongly with that dog from Greece, that's ok with me. Because honestly how different is it, really than shepherd mix A and shepherd mix B in adjacent kennels at a shelter?

The assumption is that the hypothetical person would choose dog B if dog A wasn't there, but maybe the person isn't going to click with dog B no matter what.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Xandra's Avatar
Xandra Xandra is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
Ya just linked the article because it does show proof of dogs being imported in great numbers, and thats just the ones they know about. I really dont think its hundreds of thousands, but tens of thousands i think is realistic. Into both Canada and the US.

It is a good read though, and I think it adds to what one person said on this thread about people who make their "rescued dog" their persona. How many dogs would be in our shelters if people adopted them instead of these imported ones?? Is the dog born in this country more deserving of a home? Do people adopt the imported ones for bragging rights? I know many people, as im sure we all do, who use the "well hes a rescue" as an excuse for its behaviour.
For me it's not really the country of origin that matters but use of resources... there are apparently dogs in Canada that are perfectly adoptable and being put down, there are hoards in the US. Dogs that are caged and have 1 week left before they get the needle/incinerator treatment. Seeing as how they're closer (presumably cheaper to import) and their situation is more dire, it makes more sense to me to bring them to where there are dog shortages. Street dogs in a place like India have been living like that for millennia, it's natural for them, and it's totally possible I've got the wrong impression but in all the random photos and videos I've seen of them, most look pretty happy and healthy. If a person wants to spend money on them, it makes more sense to me to spend it vaccinating and sterilizing them and treating mange and injuries vs importing halfway around the world and putting them in a pet home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
No, I don't look at it that way.

People who want a dog will get a dog, whether it's through rescue or a breeder. People don't rescue dogs to ONLY do a good deed: there's something in it for them or else they wouldn't be doing it.

I don't think people rescue only to save the dog's life, in other words. They do it because the feeling of knowing they rescued a dog does their own heart good. Something for something.
This is true, but it's for all good deeds. People do good things because it feels good or NOT doing the deed would feel bad. I mean, someone rescues a random little girl from a hurricane at some risk to themselves. That person shouldn't get any extra credit because they would feel terrible leaving her behind and they feel really good having saved her? (no I'm not saying taking in a shelter dog is equivalent rescuing children, just illustrating why I think good deeds exist with a clearer example).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
I don't think that makes me better then someone else who maybe wouldn't have been able to help or wouldn't have wanted to due to whatever circumstances.

I just don't think it's right to judge people from a high horse because they make different choices.

So no. No brownie points. No cookies. No dog biscuits. ;-)
I certainly don't think it makes you a superior person either either. And I'm totally OK with judgment at the level of "hey you got a dog from a breeder, yay he's very cute!" vs "oh, you got a dog from a high kill shelter, good on you for saving him, that's wonderful, he's very cute!"... I really can't see what's wrong with that.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
ruffiangirl's Avatar
ruffiangirl ruffiangirl is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
For me it's not really the country of origin that matters but use of resources... there are apparently dogs in Canada that are perfectly adoptable and being put down, there are hoards in the US. Dogs that are caged and have 1 week left before they get the needle/incinerator treatment. Seeing as how they're closer (presumably cheaper to import) and their situation is more dire, it makes more sense to me to bring them to where there are dog shortages. Street dogs in a place like India have been living like that for millennia, it's natural for them, and it's totally possible I've got the wrong impression but in all the random photos and videos I've seen of them, most look pretty happy and healthy. If a person wants to spend money on them, it makes more sense to me to spend it vaccinating and sterilizing them and treating mange and injuries vs importing halfway around the world and putting them in a pet home.
And this is what makes me wonder, if it is just about the dogs why are so many being flown in from spain, greece, india, china etc. when for the same dollars so many more could be save from similar fates in the USA?

Just interesting side note--When I was in Mexico we came across a lady with a rescue down there that you could adopt a dog form, its was $125 and about a weeks wait, that included transporting the dog anywhere in North America...it costs something like $300 from our SPCA up here, LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I see this attitude a lot. Why do 'breeder' people care if people feel good about rescuing? Why shouldn't they feel good about rescuing? They took a dog facing an unknown fate and loved that dog and gave it a good home. It's a good thing to do. Saying rescuing is a good thing to do doesn't mean it's everything everyone HAS to do. It doesn't mean I did a BAD thing by purchasing my dogs from a breeder. It seems like as much as certain rescue folks are out there to demonize breeders, there's a section of people that purchased pets out there trying to prove that rescuing dogs does no good. Both are extremely irrational thought patterns.

One of my friends wears rescue shirts all the time, has rescue dogs rock bumper stickers and things like that all over her car. It has NOTHING to do with me and my dogs. Why do people see that as 'holier than thou'? It's a cause she's active in and devotes a lot of time to so she 'advertises' it. I volunteer quite a bit in non-dog ways and I wear my shirts and things from my causes. How is hers different? All her dogs are rescues, she fosters dogs and cats all the time for rescues, and... that has nothing to do with me at all. I love her dogs, she loves my dogs. Why do people seem to want a divide there when there is none?.
I think it's rather clear your friend is not the person people are upset about. I don't think it plays out the same.

There are plenty still around who judge those of use preserving the purebred dog.

Guess what? My breeder bought dogs could be facing an unknown fate if I didn't buy them or if I didn't keep them. It's fair to say that "well, I saved my dog" mentality alone is rather elitist.

Honestly, I don't care, but I *do* see the "oh, you didn't rescue" <undertone:you monster!> a lot in my line of work. I don't think everyone who rescues is the same and I don't think that's what this article was arguing
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil 6/15/13-

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,897
Default

I like my husband's philosophy and attitude about getting dogs. He said to me recently, "I like my dogs like I like my cars-preowned."

I guess I don't know any extreme rescue people in real life. Most of my "dog friends" who rescue also have at least one breeder dog as well.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I see this attitude a lot. Why do 'breeder' people care if people feel good about rescuing? Why shouldn't they feel good about rescuing? They took a dog facing an unknown fate and loved that dog and gave it a good home. It's a good thing to do. Saying rescuing is a good thing to do doesn't mean it's everything everyone HAS to do. It doesn't mean I did a BAD thing by purchasing my dogs from a breeder. It seems like as much as certain rescue folks are out there to demonize breeders, there's a section of people that purchased pets out there trying to prove that rescuing dogs does no good. Both are extremely irrational thought patterns.

One of my friends wears rescue shirts all the time, has rescue dogs rock bumper stickers and things like that all over her car. It has NOTHING to do with me and my dogs. Why do people see that as 'holier than thou'? It's a cause she's active in and devotes a lot of time to so she 'advertises' it. I volunteer quite a bit in non-dog ways and I wear my shirts and things from my causes. How is hers different? All her dogs are rescues, she fosters dogs and cats all the time for rescues, and... that has nothing to do with me at all. I love her dogs, she loves my dogs. Why do people seem to want a divide there when there is none?

I do think her decision to rescue and foster dogs is a GREAT thing and something all dog lovers should praise and encourage. She definitely gets 'brownie points' in my books for helping out so many lives. Volunteering and doing good things should be recognized and encouraged.

Very rarely do I come across people that are judgmental about my dogs being from a breeder. And those that are are usually not dog people at all. In fact the only one that I really got berated by was a guy that admittedly hates dogs and never wants a pet. And yet he insinuated I didn't care about dogs if they didn't have a pedigree simply because I purchased my dogs.... I'm not going to take someone who hates dogs opinion and give it much value.
Awesome post!!

We "imported" a dog from southern Indiana who will being going to Michigan to live with his new family soon. My friend runs a rescue I volunteer with (and does own one dog from a breeder BTW) and got an email from the shelter asking her to pull any dogs she could because they were full.

We picked up a fantastic young male black lab. I truly cannot say enough good things about this dog. The only down side of the deal is that it gave me major black lab want. I do feel good that we were able to get that boy into a forever home and anyone who has an issue with that can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

As far as people importing rescue dogs--who cares? Really, dogs everywhere need homes. That's like criticizing someone for adopting a child from China rather than the US. My old landlord and the trainer at my old barn have 3 dogs between them that they brought up from the Dominican Republic (they physically picked them up off the street and flew them up themselves). They were mostly feral street puppies that were starving and covered in parasites. Did BeBe, Mouse, and Nikki deserve to die down there because there were dogs here in shelters?

So go ahead and rescue, Bleedingheart, but don't you dare feel good about doing it and only get your rescue dogs from certain geographical locations. I swear some people just LOOK for things to b!tch about.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site