Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Big Dog

Default Moral Superiority of People Who Rescue

http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/S...-Romeo-134.asp

I saw this on Facebook today and thought I'd post it for discussion.

I thought this article was interesting; not because I agree necessarily with all of the sentiments of the author, but because its sort of the other side of the coin.

I've fostered, rehomed, and I've bred, so I've been on all sides. I totally get the author's frustration, but I do think she's a bit harsh.

What are your thoughts on this?

Oh...and it is pretty inflammatory, just fair warning. I know that there are some people and some topics that I really just *have* to avoid or else I show my butt lol
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Glutton for Crazy

What a harsh and emotionally driven essay, I can't say I pat anyone on the back for choose rescue over breeders and I also tend to roll my eyes at the staunch will-never-buy pet owners but, meh, to each their preachy own.

I have started to try to best to just ignore the long standing battle between rescuers and rescuers because in the end we all rescue in one way or another, be it by training, networking, or just plain old not dumping the dogs we have, and the rescuers are fooling themselves with their better than thou attitude just because they don't see some of us actively housing death row escapees.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 AM
such sights to show you

I couldn't justify spending any more of my time wading through it once I hit "Mr. and Mrs. Bleedinghart," sorry.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Yeah...I stopped reading and processing after the first paragraph.

I don't give the time of day to the folks that foam at the mouth about how horrible breeders are so I am not going to give my attention to the camp that hangs out on the opposite end of the spectrum either.

I will go and spend my time where all the reasonable people are playing with their dogs

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

That was a...painful read. One thing I've never understood, why is it okay for someone to be proud and feel good that they bought a dog from a breeder, but it's not okay and it's preachy and "holier than thou" to be proud and feel good about rescuing a dog?

I will probably get the majority of my dogs from breeders, but I do feel pretty **** good that Maggie is alive because of me. If that makes me preachy and a bleeding heart, then so be it
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

I guess I don't see all the 'holier than thou' that this blogger is raging about.

Sure, both sides have the extremes. People who are 'purebred snobs' and people who are 'adopt, don't shop' but that's normal.

If it's REALLY bugging her so much, maybe she should delete some FB friends or something

I know people who would never buy a purebred dog, but they don't think breeders are the spawn of satan. And to be honest, a lot of 'breeders' that most people know are probably BYB by Chaz standards anyway. (The few I know are just gross. And they breed small dogs. All the poo's.)

I had to skim it since 3/4 of it was straight up bitching.

I'm just not seeing what she's talking about.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Y'all got farther than I did. Didnt even get past the thread title without eye rolling. And the first line of the article was completely obnoxious to me.

It seems like the author is not very secure in her decision on where she got her pets? And so she's lashing out? I honestly have no idea why else someone would care that much about it.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
such sights to show you

It's a discussion that should be had, but it's hard for people to do it unemotionally. I do see what she's talking about to some degree, and if I were a breeder I would probably notice even more of it. I probably notice it more than I do since I started hanging out at places like Chaz.

Honestly I've seen plenty of rescue groups that just want to get dogs out into homes without very careful consideration given to compatibility or objectively and honestly evaluating dogs and their faults as well as their good traits... it's an excellent point. The just get 'em in, get 'em out mentality is one of my HUGEST pet peeves. I've come over the years to really feel that simply Keeping. Dogs. In. Their. Homes. is the holy grail of solving "overpopulation" so the "any home will do" thing just drives me bonkers.

But... there are constructive and not so constructive ways to frame the conversation, and bringing your personal rant/vent to the table probably isn't the most constructive way to do it. Go blow off your steam and come back to the table... but reading the rant itself isn't a good use of my time.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, silly article.

Quote:
I could be the groomer or trainer or the vet you trust. Most are dog breeders.
Not in my experience they're not!!!

Quote:
Before you get on that soapbox about overpopulation ask yourself why public shelters and private rescue groups spend enormous amounts of money importing hundreds of thousands of dogs a year from foreign countries while taking dogs they deem “less desirable” into a back room to euthanize them?
Does anyone know if that's actually true? That seems like a lot, not that it's relevant, because of course when your goal is to save the most dogs it makes perfect sense to do so. You don't push "less desirable" dogs on people who don't want them (or don't know enough to know they don't want them). Dogs are going to be put down either way, best make room for the ones that will fit into new homes well.

I think I've said it before, but I do believe you get a brownie point for adopting a dog that would otherwise die vs buying a breeder dog. There's a hell of a lot of dogs in shelters and rescues and unless you're set on breeding or showing or *insert task that cannot be done by a shelter dog*, I can almost guarantee everyone that a dog that would have made them really happy was euthanized sometime in the past year on this continent. Probably there were many dogs that would have. To me it's crystal clear that seeking out and taking in that dog where possible is the most compassionate choice.

That said, there are a number of reasons why getting a shelter dog might not be entirely practical, or maybe you're set on the security of a breeder dog, or maybe you refuse to compromise on anything, even small things. That's fine by me, I don't think anyone is in any way obligated to get a rescue/shelter dog. I know many foster, help rescues financially, etc., and of course they get brownie points for doing those things, but I still think when it comes to taking in a new dog, rescuing a dog that would otherwise be put down is the gold star option. Encouraging rescue is great, as long as people keep in mind that saving a dog isn't the be all end all of morality or most people's lives.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Big Dog

sassafras, that's pretty much how I felt about it and I have encountered both ends of the fanaticism and I just wish that people could meet in the middle.

Regardless for me personally, whether you show, breed, rescue etc that shouldn't be the only thing that defines "you" as a person, and I think alot of people use their dogs as a way to define who they are.

And that's fine, but it should be one facet and not the only thing even if it is a really important thing.

I think too many people try to find the enemy in the situation, when really it should be everyone working together.

ETA- People don't get brownie points in my book for rescuing. I just look at it as a decision they chose to make.