Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Sport Model Pug

I dunno where people are growing up but we knew if we were dumb enough to lose a toy over the fence, it was gone for good. Suck it up, kids.

I most certainly do not want kids in my yard "because they're only kids". Kids are assholes and love to destroy things and be idiots. Learn painful life lessons on your own property and get hurt there so I'm not liable.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Behavior Nerd

What about a bucket hung on your fence where they can reach that you just deposit lost toys in? Then no one has to climb the fence, they don't have to work up the nerve to go to your door, and you don't have to fetch balls constantly.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Maybe it's just me or just where I live, but I completely can not imagine anyone having barbed wire on their fence... especially with the purpose of keeping out children. O.o

Seriously other than talking I don't know what else could/should be done.
Me either, yikes! Of course, when our neighbor's kids were young enough to hit balls over the fence they always asked if they could come get it so I never really had to deal with this exact situation.

I'd be very, very careful about using anything like electricity or barbed wire unless you're absolutely sure you have no liability if someone gets injured by them. I like the idea of bringing them some balls and/or leaving a "collection bucket" hanging on the fence, though.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

On a city lot, I think barbed wire and hot tape is a bit bizarre... on an acre? I don't find that too strange. I'd guess if she happens upon their balls she chucks them back over, but unless they only hit them to one place or she regularly scours the yard, she's not going to find them very often, especially if she has any bush or long grass.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
such sights to show you

Well even on my city lot the neighbor kids' balls rarely made it halfway across my yard, I doubt that most kids are going to be peppering an entire acre with balls.

Or if they are... I'd buddy up to them and get in on that MLB career now, on the ground floor.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Well even on my city lot the neighbor kids' balls rarely made it halfway across my yard, I doubt that most kids are going to be peppering an entire acre with balls.

Or if they are... I'd buddy up to them and get in on that MLB career now, on the ground floor.
I'll take your word for it. How far 8-13 year old boys bat their baseballs is definitely beyond the scope of my knowledge.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM
such sights to show you

Well maybe my neighbor's kids were just athletically challenged.

But seriously even for most MLB ballparks a home run is something like... 400 feet or thereabouts, I think?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I would never put barb wire or hot tape on my fence- that's just asking for a lawsuit!

I like RTH's idea- give the boys a pack of baseballs and introduce yourself. Let them know you'll return any balls that land on your side of the fence. Put them in a basket or in a bag by your front door. If this doesn't work, I'd talk to the grandparents again.

I totally agree that it must be annoying to have children coming over your fence- that would drive me nuts! Hopefully you'll find a solution that works

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Resident fainting goat

Perhaps a small sign that goes over their side of the fence.
"If one of your balls come over the fence, please come to the front door and ask and I'll go get it for you! We have dogs that are easily surprised and don't want you to get hurt!"

I love the baseball in a basket idea as well.. better to keep things friendly with the neighbors than anything.
Go over and talk to the grandparents or whatever again. Make it all about the kids "I would worry about them falling, them getting hurt, my dogs spooking and jumping on them by accident. WE HAVE LARGE DOGS, something could happen. "
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Here lots of people put broken glass on the top of concrete walls! Well, I say here, I mean more inner city areas.

But barbed wire is a visual deterrent as is glass. How is that a law suit? It's perfectly legal here, and perfectly visible. It's there to make people not climb... It would be like trying to sue a farmer for climbing in their field and getting snagged.. And actually, barbed wire isn't that nasty. Razor wire is. Not barbed wire.

Or I'd put anti-vandal paint on the tops of the fence and sign saying, vandal paint. No one wants that sh1t on them.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein