Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Thank you

I am honestly very saddened by some of the posts here...just disturbing.

AND this is coming from someone who has lots of neighbor children who I DO have to watch and make sure they know not to come into the yard etc because one of my dogs is guardy and anxious around children.

RTH had awesome advice on how to handle it.

I dont know, I grew up in an actual NEIGHBORHOOD...which means being neighborly. We jumped fences all the time to retrieve things or just to shortcut. If anyone had asked us to stop, sure we wouldve. But as long as we werent hurting anything who freaking cares?

(Again, dogs bring a WHOLE different level and I totally understand that angle, I have the same issue. But just because its "MINE" to me is a silly and rude position...again, as long as its for something like ball retrieval etc)
The kids are old enough to understand that you do not wander into other people's fenced in yard. You can keep feeling saddened that people want to protect their property, I feel saddened that people don't care enough to instill respect for other people's property in their children.

Be it for dogs, be it for grass seed someone put down that shouldn't get trampled, it doesn't matter. I would have never done that as a kid.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thank you

AND this is coming from someone who has lots of neighbor children who I DO have to watch and make sure they know not to come into the yard etc because one of my dogs is guardy and anxious around children.

I dont know, I grew up in an actual NEIGHBORHOOD...which means being neighborly. We jumped fences all the time to retrieve things or just to shortcut. If anyone had asked us to stop, sure we wouldve. But as long as we werent hurting anything who freaking cares?

(Again, dogs bring a WHOLE different level and I totally understand that angle, I have the same issue. But just because its "MINE" to me is a silly and rude position...again, as long as its for something like ball retrieval etc)
This ^ they're just kids. I understand the annoyance but its not a huge deal. If you aren't actually worried about the dogs what's the problem? I agree that if you were nicer and the kids were totally comfortable approaching you it wouldn't even be a problem.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Big Dog

Yeah ... when I was a kid, we would go into others yards all the time to retrieve items. We were in the yard for 15 seconds to retrieve an item we on accident hit or kicked in there and then left right away, no big deal. We were aware if there was a dog outside, a flower bed here or there we need to watch out for, etc. so that we didn't cause any trouble or ruin anything for our quick skip into the yard. I don't know, I think thinking about putting barb wire, hot tape, an all out electric fence is a little extreme and ridiculous for kids just coming to retrieve something. I understand the concern with the dogs; but I just imagine they wouldn't willy-nilly just come into the yard if the dogs were out. I could be giving them more credit than I should be, though.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Twin 2

Yeah, not gonna lie, this threads and people's suggestions gives me the creeps. I find it vaguely disturbing that electricity and barbed wire are people's first suggestions. And this is coming from someone that hates the idea of people coming into our yard.

I like RTH's idea a lot though. I think you would get a lot farther by making them more comfortable with you and coming to your door. I know as a kid I would not have liked to go to someone's door anytime a toy got thrown into someone elses yard, it's much easier and indirect to just climb the fence.

But if they had made some gesture, explained why they don't want me jumping the fence and made it seem less intimidating to go to the door I would. Or I would just leave the ball.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thank you

I think you're being a bit dramatic. At 8-13, we knew trespassing (especially when you've been told not to multiple times!!) was RUDE and a violation of privacy (for some people privacy matters).

Not saying that we didn't do it regularly lol but we knew better. At that age, if you'd been told several times not to hop the fence and one of you tried one time and got zapped, would that have been so bad? Maybe we were horrible and stoic children but I'm pretty sure we would've found that hilarious. I'm also sure we would have taken it as legitimate retribution for our crimes lol.

Barbed wire is a bit cruel, you can cut yourself on it and wreck your clothes.

I think the main thing here, is that if you even if you put up painful barriers, being kids, with time and resourcefulness they may just find away around your hot tape or barbed wire and continue on. They sure as hell aren't going to be more comfortable going to your door after you've electrocuted or skewered them with your fence lol

Last edited by Xandra; 06-24-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: change a word
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

I do have a dog that might bite if someone were unexpectedly in our yard, and frequently dog sit my dad's dog, who is even more protective than Elsie, and what I did (which works) is talk to my neighbors nicely when the ball throwing wasn't an issue--so like, not 'in the moment,' and it worked really well.

They come to the front door now and we go get it for them, and haven't had an issue.

I was just friendly and polite, and mentioned that we have dogs and would prefer people don't come into the yard, but we'd be more than happy to get the ball or whatever for them.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Big Dog

Greenmagik, I think they key you are missing is these kids have been asked to stop, and aren't.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
Unfortunately, in the US, that's a great way to get sued.
For real? People sue when they get hurt breaking and entering? Glad I live here tbh.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
Greenmagik, I think they key you are missing is these kids have been asked to stop, and aren't.
No, I didnt miss it.

I was replying in general for most of my response.

I still think talking with the children and grandparents again, in depth, is the way to go...not barbed wire or hot tape.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

We knew better then the go into people's yards, but if someone did something to prevents us...it was war. The one place that put up barbed wire was the one place we targeted. We peed on their wood fence, we spray painted their fence, we kicked their fence and we made sure to make the very most amount of noise around their place. Just a heads up. Maybe we were dicks. They also got huge fines for their electrified barbed wire when someone's cat almost died on it be cause its leg got caught on it so it got a good long zap.