Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

honestly I vote hot tape too. I seriously love kids, but would NOT be ok with them coming into my yard. If they still kept doing so then dang straight I'm going to put hot tape around the top of my fence... but then I have a dog that is NOT super kid friendly and if he happened to be in the yard when a kid came over the fence I would be worried about that outcome... would much rather have that added deterrent of hot tape to keep kids out of my yard.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Seriously. Or chicken wire, or spiky things, or anything as a visual deterrent.

You've asked nicely, you've talked to those in charge...not sure what else you can do. Your concerns are legitimate.
Agreed. I would feel kinda bad but you definitely have legit concerns.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

around here, using electric stuff for anything other than livestock is a no-no. You'll be in trouble if anyone comes in contact with it, so check your local ordinances.

I'd just go over again with a bunch of new baseballs, whatever kind they are using and be as nice as pie. Tell them these are to replace any they hit over the fence and can't retrieve when you're not home so they can keep playing.

And when you get home tell them to just please come over and tell you they hit a bunch of balls in the back yard and you'll gladly get them for them.

You just don't want there to be any incidents with the kids or any dogs. NOt that you'd expect any, but kids and strange animals don't always mix. Let them know you're not trying to be a pain in the ass (even though they're being pretty disrespectful) you just want to avoid accidents.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
.....Maybe I'm just a tad harsh, but a bit of hottape run along the top wouldn't maim them for life. And bonus points for keeping out critters or anything else that would climb over your fence.

Just let the grandparents know that you are doing it so there's due warning.

Otherwise, if there's ever a time you're outside and a ball comes over, just throw it back or ask them to come around to the door and you'll meet them there. Give them a glass of lemonade or something and ask them to take it easy in the heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Barbed wire.
Both of these. I think the barbed wire would work best because everyone knows what it is and they wont even try to get past it.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 PM
orange iguanas.

Maybe it's just me or just where I live, but I completely can not imagine anyone having barbed wire on their fence... especially with the purpose of keeping out children. O.o

Seriously other than talking I don't know what else could/should be done.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I have an 8 wire electric fence for the sole purpose of keeping people out my yard. Touch it and it will knock you out. Its my yard, don't come in.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I have an 8 wire electric fence for the sole purpose of keeping people out my yard. Touch it and it will knock you out. Its my yard, don't come in.
Unfortunately, in the US, that's a great way to get sued.

As for the original problem, I like the idea of befriending them with some new baseballs. Somewhat of a "grand gesture" to show that you are sincere that they shouldn't be climbing your fence.

Also, why do I keep picturing the movie "The Sandlot" in my head? Especially when after they go through all of the crap to get the ball, they finally knock on the door and the old man says, "Why didn't you just knock on the door? I'd have gotten if for you."
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Taxiderpy

Would you be at risk of getting sued if the wire was there "for animals" though?

I mean, you could go warn them it's there so they can't claim booby trap. Just say something like, "Stray cats are spraying and crapping in my yard so I put up some hot tape to keep them out. Just wanted to give you a heads up because I know the kids sometimes climb over to get their baseballs. Here's some extras in case they hit them into my yard when I'm not home and can't get them back for you."

Or use the excuse that one of the dogs started climbing the fence, so you put hot tape up to discourage him before he learns to climb over.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Maybe it's just me or just where I live, but I completely can not imagine anyone having barbed wire on their fence... especially with the purpose of keeping out children. O.o

It's semi-common around here to keep trespassers out. You see it a lot across the top of chain link - because chain link is easy enough to climb, but once you hit the top and put your hand down over barbed wire...

I've never heard of anybody having an electric fence except out in the country though, and it's supposedly to keep the livestock in rather than trespassers out.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

Thank you

I am honestly very saddened by some of the posts here...just disturbing.

AND this is coming from someone who has lots of neighbor children who I DO have to watch and make sure they know not to come into the yard etc because one of my dogs is guardy and anxious around children.

RTH had awesome advice on how to handle it.

I dont know, I grew up in an actual NEIGHBORHOOD...which means being neighborly. We jumped fences all the time to retrieve things or just to shortcut. If anyone had asked us to stop, sure we wouldve. But as long as we werent hurting anything who freaking cares?

(Again, dogs bring a WHOLE different level and I totally understand that angle, I have the same issue. But just because its "MINE" to me is a silly and rude position...again, as long as its for something like ball retrieval etc)