Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

Out of all the aussie checkpoints
- High energy with good off switch
- Loves to control movement
- Quick to learn
- Handler oriented/velcro
- Reserved with strangers

he fits all.. except for that last one Merlin loves everybody and thinks everybody should love him
Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Merlin loves everybody and thinks everybody should love him
I bet it doesn't help that this belief is reinforced everyday.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

Sort of?

I wouldn't say Zander is extremely typical for a Siberian Husky, but he is definitely a Siberian Husky. They are known to be skittish, hyperactive, naughty, interesting sense of humor, smart, can't be off leash, high prey drive, etc. And in all of that he is very typical.

But he has his quirks, definitely. He's perfectly happy sleeping in until 3pm, going to bed early, only going on a small walk or none at all. He's independent with most people in his life, reserved/slightly skittish with strangers. But who he accepts as "HIS" like BeAu, or Child, there is absolutely no doubt in his affection. And it sort of fits in a way...Sibes will usually find that one person and cling to them, but more often than not they don't settle on people. They aren't people oriented. So it's a quirk, but a quirk that can be expected in the breed.

As far as the prey drive goes, he was raised around inside animals so he's fine with all small animals inside. We've never had a problem, he loves taking on the babysitter role, and he'd never intentionally hurt/hunt/stalk an inside animal or what he considers an inside animal (won't go after the pet rabbit outside, for example). But all outside, unknown, stranger critters are fair play and he's killed his share of pests.

Aggression isn't common in the breed, nor is protectiveness. Since they aren't people oriented and since they are "reserved" (i.e. bred to the skittish side), they don't often get aggressive or protective unless they are pushed past their limits and they learn that is their only alternative reaction to their environment. However, Zander CAN be very protective of Child. I knew he always loved children, absolutely adored them, but he's never really had his own child before. Since moving in with B&R, he's really taken to Rhio's son and it's been a huge learning curve for the both of us. Me learning how to redirect him correctly and him learning that not everything is a major threat to Child.

So he definitely has his quirks that aren't necessarily part of the breed, but he isn't so far left field that he's out of the ordinary. For an 8 out of 10, he's a good example of a Siberian Husky.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Well, Art isn't really a breed, but he is not typical for his boston terrier half. His mom was very friendly with strangers, very tolerant and Art is NOT stranger friendly. Very luckily he's never been a biter, even when pushed too far by a stranger he's never attempted a nip or bite or anything, he just shuts down poor boy. Whatever his other half is I can't imagine such a nervy dog is normal for that either. lol He's very very smart and easily trained though, which I attribute to his mother. He's very active, which seems normal for boston terriers as well, but he has a very terrier (think JRT) play style and drive I think. His brother looks very much like a wirehaired jack russel, so I'm guessing that's the other half (at least in part).

Talon, hmm.... I don't know. I was expecting something ........different when I got a border collie. He's smart, driven, intense at times, and very go-go-go when asked.

I was not expecting him to be so laid back in the house. He has no need to do something 24/7, I was expecting a bit more need to move all the time I guess. He has a great off switch, and I absolutely love it! ^_^ He may also be a bit more reserved/skittish side with certain people (men), but with almost every woman he is "OMG I love you let me sit in your lap and get loves...or food...you have food?" lol He's a womanizer.

So in some ways he is, but mostly I think he may be atypical.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Nope, not in the slightest.

Incredibly easy to train.
Great focus.
Not yappy in the slightest; her bark is actually really deep for her size.
Reliable off leash.
Active. Very active.
Cuddly and loves to be held, but is not a lapdog.
Great focus.
She a good deal, but not as much as most Dachshunds I've met.
Not snippy/agressive/reactive.
Tolerant.
Takes everything in stride.

Really the only way she meets her breed standard is she loves food, is protective and is a total velcro, one person dog.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Milo is pretty typical of a JRT - and unfortunately I think his issues that are unacceptable in the breed are pretty typical of a poorly bred/puppy mill/byb JRT.

But he has appropriate prey drive, high intelligence, very affectionate, active, a little obsessive, etc.

Our wheaten is not at all typical of the breed. He's very very low energy, extremely difficult to train, and very shy/timid/fearful of strangers (and everything else).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Happy Lab

Mollie is a little independent for a lab. She loves being near us, but she doesn't enjoy being really close to you. She'd rather be standing outside the room guarding the house than lying by your chair.

-Dave Barry
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

He's technically a boxer mix but since he was surrendered as a "purebred", let's pretend for a minute that he is.

Mostly, No. Obi is not as goofy or as laissez-faire as other boxers I've met. He's serious and analytical. He is also pretty unaffectionate. He could care less if I ever pet him. He's insanely vocal, and uses his voice to demand attention. He's not happy-go-lucky with other dogs and is very pushy, bossy, commanding with them. He is really intuitive and I feel like he tries very hard to absorb everything that goes on around him.

He is, however, very naughty. He is impossible to crate because he will escape. He loves garbage diving. And he suffered for years with separation anxiety.

Whatever he is, I love him.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 AM
Spanish Pup

Natasha is, overall, a sighthound/scenthound hunting dog, so she's pretty normal. She likes activity, running, she's quite timid, but very sociable, a bit insecure, she has great reflexes and is quite food motivated, but for her there's nothing better than playing tug.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Vizsla mom

Penny is a high, high energy velcro dog who spends her days with her nose in the air, running like a psycho ..I'd say she's a very typical Vizsla ahaha