Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
She's not a "no touch" dog, but she doesn't like strangers. She pretty much ignores them completely. No aggression, and no acknowledgement that they exist basically, which is exactly what you want out of a dog that does the work she does. Once she knows someone she's very friendly with them, but never the type of dog to climb in their lap like Enzo, more like, she'll lay at their feet, or come up for a drive by petting.
I feel special! She did her lap-pretzel thing with me in like the first 15 minutes, LOL.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Temperment/personality wise, Caleb is pretty spot on for a Lab- he's happy, smart, trainable, loves everyone, especially kids, etc. Unless it's coming down from the sky, he loves water (but he'll work in the rain if I ask him to). Despite having a lot of energy, he's mellow compared to a lot of Labs. The one thing he lacks, tho, is the "retrieve til you drop" gene. He'll retrieve for a bit, then his ADD kicks in and he gets side tracked. But he does have that "must carry something in my mouth all the time" trait.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

I'd say so - I tell Trent "you're such a [German] Shepherd" all the time.

He is fairly typical of a working line German Shepherd Dog in temperament, personality, and some drives, but he wasn't the pet quality of the litter for nothing. He's a lazy bum He'd rather nap or stretch out for chest scratches than work, and he doesn't always have an amazing attention span. He has a great deal of energy and enthusiasm, but he's not a "never quit" type of dog. He's usually more than happy to call quits, actually. If we've been playing ball for a few hours and he's tired, he'll take the ball and find a patch of grass to lie down in. If he's working on a puzzle but can't get the treat, he'll give up and bring it to me to solve. If I refuse, he stops trying.

So many admirable qualities in a dog

He LOVES to cozy up to people who walk into our house. Some dogs follow guests around suspiciously, but Trent follows them around wagging his tail, just waiting for them to sit down so he can give them kisses. At least outside the house he'll usually be disinterested in people (with exceptions). I've always said that anyone can break into our house and walk out with all of our valuables without a scratch. Thankfully no one in our neighborhood would ever guess, at least not with the way he barks and rushes at the door.

He's also independent for his breed. I thought I was guaranteed a cuddly, velcro dog when I got a GSD but he never tries to follow me room to room, and outside he never sticks to my hip. When he's off leash he likes to keep within a 20 ft radius and check in on me every now and then, but otherwise he goes about doing his own thing. I could probably go anywhere and just leave him there without him caring...we're usually in the same room only because we have mutual favorite places in the house. And of course, he is not a fan of cuddling. Every time I've tried to drag him on the couch with me, he tolerates it for a minute or two before prying himself away. Wish he read that part of the GSD handbook!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

My dogs are all pretty much what I expected (Corgi, GSD, Kelpie). I was hoping for a more social/trial-able Kelpie but am not really shocked due to what others warned me about (more surprised based on what Limit was like as a puppy - he was SO SOCIAL).
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
My dogs are all pretty much what I expected (Corgi, GSD, Kelpie). I was hoping for a more social/trial-able Kelpie but am not really shocked due to what others warned me about (more surprised based on what Limit was like as a puppy - he was SO SOCIAL).
Why isn't Limit trialable? ;(

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Why isn't Limit trialable? ;(
The environment scares the crap out of him. And he's a fear biter. Going to see if age makes a difference but at this point, he gets so stressed (he worries that he's upsetting me...while he's upsetting me so it's difficult), it's not worth making him do it.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Not a Border Collie

I wouldn't call Quinn "typical" but she is definitely all English Shepherd. If that makes sense.

I would say she's much higher drive than many English Shepherds. She can be a little sharp and reactive. While she does have the great off switch typical of the breed, she is ready to go go go all the time and isn't a dog to hang back, ever. She is very fast and driven!

She's also more outgoing with strangers than what I expected from the breed descriptions. It's not uncommon, but she's definitely more on the friendly end of the spectrum. That said - she only acts like an idiot and is all excited for the first 30 seconds of meeting someone, then she's back to the cool dude she is with people.

Her chase drive is high (like if she sees a rabbit, or lure coursing) but her drive to actually exterminate prey is quite low. This surprised me because her dam and granddam are both very skilled hunters! Quinn will chase squirrels, rabbits, etc but I always say that if she stumbled upon a nest of babies or something she wouldn't know what to do with them. Maybe just mother them LOL (whereas my mom's ACD, who is a great vermin hunter, knows baby raccoons are raccoons right away and will take them out).

My herding trainer (BC owner and breeder) says she's rather BCish in some ways, and her breeder (competed in agility with BCs, I think she had a few litters too) has said the same of her dam and said she knew Quinn would be the same.

Her "typical" ES traits far outweigh those, though. She is intelligent, alert, and family oriented. Gentle and great with kids. Protective. Adaptable, solid nerves. Great off switch. A good sense of rules and how things should be - independent thinking enough to enforce this but not ornery. She's a "thinker".

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Quinn will chase squirrels, rabbits, etc but I always say that if she stumbled upon a nest of babies or something she wouldn't know what to do with them. Maybe just mother them LOL
I think that's an ES trait too, lol.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Not a Border Collie

I suppose, LOL! She is definitely a suck with baby kittens and stuff, but man Quinn you're suppose to know the difference between kittens and vermin!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I suppose, LOL! She is definitely a suck with baby kittens and stuff, but man Quinn you're suppose to know the difference between kittens and vermin!
Chloe *loves* babies. Lol A baby bird fell out of a tree on her head one day, and after her initial shock, she Just started licking it and mothering it. I think she'd do the same to Amy kind of infant baby she stumbled upon.