Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
<----Thanks Allie

I don't worm mine with safeguard monthly either, but I do know a lot of people that do. I think a lot depends on what the dogs are doing as well. Like if they are in daycare a lot surrounded by other dogs all the time or if they're always out on trails and are bad at sneaking bites of things.

And a lot of the commercial heartworm pills include an antiparasitic, so they are being wormed monthly that way.

Also, I might add: I leave 2 weeks between ivermec and safe guard. So if I am doing both that month it's ivermec on the 1st and safeguard on the 15th.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
I don't worm mine with safeguard monthly either, but I do know a lot of people that do. I think a lot depends on what the dogs are doing as well. Like if they are in daycare a lot surrounded by other dogs all the time or if they're always out on trails and are bad at sneaking bites of things.

And a lot of the commercial heartworm pills include an antiparasitic, so they are being wormed monthly that way.
Yeah for sure, I worm Keeva semi-regularly because she eats poop in daycare. Blegh. Also, Fenbendazole treats giardia too, which is a nice bonus.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Ok, so what schedule do you do? Every month? Every other? Robin was on Heartguard before, does that mean I don't need to test? The small dogs all eat poop (Eden, Poppy, Snitch), is every other month ok or every month? I am so confused. I ordered the ivermectin, a dinky syringe, and the dilution stuff...I now need to order the wormer.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
<----Thanks Allie

If your dogs have been consistently on hw preventative then I wouldn't feel the need to test again until your yearly test.

As far as safeguard, do what you feel comfortable with. I have a poop eater and my dogs run trails daily. I do every 2-3 months. Also, I find it easier to keep everyone on the same schedule.

Really the hardest part is figuring out your schedule, after that it's routine & easy.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Um... I just do 1/10cc per 10lbs using the 1% solution.

I haven't had any problems. And if you have any worries of mdr1, the test is $75.
This is what I have always done as well, without issue. I read a lot about it on the GSD board years ago. Vets will dose .9ccs daily for weeks for mange dogs, the .9 cc for Frag, .4 cc for Sir/Recon once monthly are not to worry about and I don't have the patience to worry about dilution and freshness, really.

I don't deworm unless I think there's an issue, then it's panacur, which should be dosed for 3 days, then a two week wait followed by another 3-day course to be used accurately from what I have always been told.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
This is what I have always done as well, without issue. I read a lot about it on the GSD board years ago. Vets will dose .9ccs daily for weeks for mange dogs, the .9 cc for Frag, .4 cc for Sir/Recon once monthly are not to worry about and I don't have the patience to worry about dilution and freshness, really.

I don't deworm unless I think there's an issue, then it's panacur, which should be dosed for 3 days, then a two week wait followed by another 3-day course to be used accurately from what I have always been told.
So you're using ivermectin on Recon?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
So you're using ivermectin on Recon?
Yep. Talked to Shirley and she said he'd be fine based on parents, talked to an old vet who uses a gradual increase dosage to make sure dogs didn't have a problem for mange treatment, who said that small of a dosage would be very unlikely to effect a mutant dog, anyway. She gets concerned when it's up in the 9cc range for 20 pound puppies, like my foster Bennett last year. So we started with a tiny dose and then monitored and moved up to his normal with no issue. And I still dose under his weight just to be sure. I know that much isn't always necessary.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yep. Talked to Shirley and she said he'd be fine based on parents, talked to an old vet who uses a gradual increase dosage to make sure dogs didn't have a problem for mange treatment, who said that small of a dosage would be very unlikely to effect a mutant dog, anyway. She gets concerned when it's up in the 9cc range for 20 pound puppies, like my foster Bennett last year. So we started with a tiny dose and then monitored and moved up to his normal with no issue. And I still dose under his weight just to be sure. I know that much isn't always necessary.
Awesome, that's what I'm finding even on the testing website for MDR1
Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Awesome, that's what I'm finding even on the testing website for MDR1
I did order the test and ended up not using it after talking to Shirley and the vet. There are the rare dogs that will be very sensitive to it even at smaller doses, but that's why you start at a quarter and wean up to full- to monitor. My vet gave me a list of things to look for. I don't have the list handy, but obviously lethargy, increased drinking/peeing, any neuro signs like staring/seizure like behavior, aggression, etc.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I did order the test and ended up not using it after talking to Shirley and the vet. There are the rare dogs that will be very sensitive to it even at smaller doses, but that's why you start at a quarter and wean up to full- to monitor. My vet gave me a list of things to look for. I don't have the list handy, but obviously lethargy, increased drinking/peeing, any neuro signs like staring/seizure like behavior, aggression, etc.
Ivermectin toxicity..and this was from heartguard. This was the next day too, the night it started she seemed to be blind, couldn't walk at all/severe ataxia, drooling.