Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm All Ears

I love Gusto and Meg. <3
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I love Gusto and Meg. <3
Ditto !!!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

I loved the videos! It really makes me want to trial with Diesel. Next tuesday is his last class and that saddens me .
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
The Monster.

Love the Meg and Gusto videos. They're both so positively happy to work with you.

I have a question about rear crosses. More specifically, about options for how to cue them.

I was taught to set the line the obstacle before the cue, decel and then pressure the dog's line for the turn. Evidently I'm not very good at this (or Cohen is bad at reading it, but it's probably me), so it's not uncommon for Cohen to turn the wrong way when I try to cut behind her on a tight turn.

Last night my instructor suggested I cue the rear cross verbally. More specifically, to give Cohen my "turn" cue (verbally and physically), which means for her to turn away from me. So I'd be approaching a jump, cue the turn, then cut in behind and pick Cohen up after she jumps. I hadn't heard this suggested before. Is this common practice? Is it advisable? What do you guys think?

My first trainer taught mostly the Derrett handling system, and my currently trainer is more Mecklenburg, so I've been struggling to marry the two systems. Sometimes I get conflicting information and need to figure out how best to proceed with my own dog.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

This is what I was taught to do, we call it a switch, so you cross in behind the dog and pick them up on the opposite side that they went into the obstacle.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
This is what I was taught to do, we call it a switch, so you cross in behind the dog and pick them up on the opposite side that they went into the obstacle.
And what do you do to cue it?

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm learning the derrett system and my previous used the mecklenburg system (which whether by translation or system was not working for us). We don't use any verbal now and it should all be by physical cues and the value placed on the front. I'm far from an expert on this but we were started with stationary sits where I would line up on both sides, step back and click and reward for the head turn (a whoops and reposition if the feet followed, conditioning we're looking for the focus). Then I would begin stepping across the tail of the dog while behind them in a sit, when the head turns to follow (no nose up like in flashy heeling but a wrapped head to the left or right) I would click and reward, thus conditioning the dog to be aware of my front and whichever side of the dog I am on.

eer... next week we'll put it in motion. LOL

Previously we taught left and right turns but honestly while running I am neither fast nor reliable enough to use them and while they're a fancy and fun trick it only added anticipation and spinning into obstacles. This is a lot more steady and broken down for Backup.

Sloan seems to do fine with either method, it would just be a matter of consistency for her.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

If cued correctly, both of my dogs will read a rear cross just off how I line things up. If I handle like crap, forget where I am going, or am late (see the line between the teeter and chute in Meg's run. I had planned a front cross after the first jump, but had a flashback to Gusto's course where we went to the a frame and was too late for a front), both have a cue that means "turn away from me". I use "flip"; their name means "turn in to me". I tend to use the verbal flip more than needed, but it is handy to have. I also use it when I need them to turn into a tunnel off a contact.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Last night my instructor suggested I cue the rear cross verbally. More specifically, to give Cohen my "turn" cue (verbally and physically), which means for her to turn away from me. So I'd be approaching a jump, cue the turn, then cut in behind and pick Cohen up after she jumps. I hadn't heard this suggested before. Is this common practice? Is it advisable? What do you guys think?
Yes! I had Pirate at a Barb Davis seminar last December (always do a seminar with Barb if you get a chance, she's a great instructor), and she had me teach a verbal to Pirate. I tend to use mostly front crosses, but I do need to use more rear crosses with Pirate, and for whatever reason, he just didn't seem to read them well (my other dogs have not needed a verbal for this). He picked up the verbal fast, and it's made a huge difference.

I use "switch" as the verbal cue, and I'm trying to remember how she had us train it. I think that we walked along with the dog roughly in heel position, gave the cue, and lured the head away from us with a treat (or tossed a toy back? Hmm... Wish I'd made note of this.) Then we'd walk up parallel to a jump, give the cue as we approached, and reward as the dog turned back to the approach side of the jump, so they were flipping away from us. It only took a few tries, and then we could use it on course.

I do have video of Pirate using his new skill:

The first time through, I was forgetting to use the cue, so you can see where we were at; not turning, or wide turns. Vs the nice, tight turns I got with the addition of the verbal cue. I used it on a course for the first time at our next trial, and it worked great!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm learning the derrett system and my previous used the mecklenburg system (which whether by translation or system was not working for us). We don't use any verbal now and it should all be by physical cues and the value placed on the front. I'm far from an expert on this but we were started with stationary sits where I would line up on both sides, step back and click and reward for the head turn (a whoops and reposition if the feet followed, conditioning we're looking for the focus). Then I would begin stepping across the tail of the dog while behind them in a sit, when the head turns to follow (no nose up like in flashy heeling but a wrapped head to the left or right) I would click and reward, thus conditioning the dog to be aware of my front and whichever side of the dog I am on.
I am almost positive this is how SG talks about teaching a rear cross on her One Jump DVD. SG and GD are pretty similar so it's probably close to how GD teaches it if not the same. I can't remember how he says to teach it on his DVD, it's been a while since I watched it.

Verbals help some dogs and not others. I got pretty quiet with Auggie because my babbling wasn't helping. I'm fairly quiet with Payton too. I don't think being quiet or not is necessarily superior, it just depends on the dog. I would put the turn cue on it with Cohen and see if it helps. Just make sure you're giving the cue before she takes off - late cues on turns and stuff tend to result in dropped bars as the dog struggles to respond in mid-air!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog