Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'll be honest, the people I know with the most high end titles in many sports usually buy, train, sell, repeat. It's far from the same as working with pet owners. I have absolutely no issues with it, finding the right dog is important if you want to compete at the top and many often wash out, but that won't always prepare you for the staunchly patient process that training a pet dog can be.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm All Ears

I have no doubt that there are good pet dog trainers out there. I just don't know how I, as a potentially uneducated customer, am supposed to figure out who is legit and who isn't? Yes titles tell you only that that person trained that dog to that level but I know NOTHING about someone who hasn't titled a dog. Nowadays I'm educated enough to weed good from bad but a lot of people aren't. I have seen one ridiculously incompetent 'certified' trainer. I mean absolutely moronic when it came to dogs/dog behavior.

Personally I have seen a lot better understanding of dogs in general from sports trainers and people involved in dogs to a higher degree than just a pet. I am really not trying to dig on pet trainers at all but just saying why I personally wouldn't go to them. I also find sports people and I tend to have a better alignment as far as goals for our dogs behaviorally.

Obviously a trainer needs to be people oriented and be able to teach. I don't think there's an easy way to judge that until you've seen them teach though.

Last edited by Laurelin; 06-18-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

I think for training pet dogs, experience, maybe a program, certification, and some well behaved dog(s) of your own with the ability to teach people well would be enough. I definitely look for a cpdt-ka in any obedience/pet trainer I go to. I want a trainer with a lot of methods in their toolbox and an understanding of how every form of reinforcement or punishment is used, even if they don't teach it.

I definitely don't believe in teaching something you haven't titled.

My boss leads most of the puppy, obedience, cgc, intro to agility, etc. classes that are geared towards companion owners. She has her cpdt-ka and I think that's enough personally. I trained under her before I got a job working with her and she's part of the reason I know what I know and can train as well. I don't know that she's ever titled in anything- maybe a little agility or rally? And CGCs of course.

We have a CPE agility judge on staff who leads the more advanced agility classes, and a pet detective on staff who runs a business using nosework to find lost pets to lead our nosework classes.

My agility instructor doesn't have any certification that I know of, but has titled very highly in agility (I'm not sure exactly what titles) and is good at teaching us. I don't know how well she would do teaching a CGC class, though, or working with an client with extreme reactivity issues.

The proof is in the pudding, right?

I know that personally, I would not be able to have as vast of an understanding and ideas if I hadn't worked in shelters and seen every side of any kind of dog you can imagine. My boss often refers people to me with reactivity issues or aggression if I'm in class with them because I have so much experience with my own dogs (Frag and Sir) and shelter dogs and she has personally never owned a dog with reactivity or aggression. That doesn't mean she doesn't know how to train them or work with them, but first-hand experience is a lot easier to explain, I've found. You know exactly what they're going to need to trouble shoot before they get to that point and can warn them about more or set them up to succeed before it gets to that point.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'll be honest, the people I know with the most high end titles in many sports usually buy, train, sell, repeat. It's far from the same as working with pet owners. I have absolutely no issues with it, finding the right dog is important if you want to compete at the top and many often wash out, but that won't always prepare you for the staunchly patient process that training a pet dog can be.
There's a middle ground between buy, train, sell and just pet though. I am not a fan of cycling through a bunch of dogs for the one sport prospect either.

Then again I dont forsee me ever going to a trainer for just pet stuff at all. I guess never say never though lol. I probably jinxed myself there.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

If I was going to a class, I'd look for one that was convenient and one that I could sit in on a couple times without a dog to see what goes on. If it fits with what I want, sign me up, if not keep looking.

Beyond that, everybody is a trainer to me. When I first started, I had a few people that I looked to almost exclusively, the more I learned, the more I looked at everybody. I've picked up things from so many people I can't even remember them all.

Some have titled dogs, some have never, some don't do sports, a lot do. Some train for a living, some are training their first dog. My core principles don't change a lot, at least they haven't in quite some time, but I can always pick up a new trick here or there that can help me out.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Sport Model Pug

Okay maybe I'll add to the scenario.

What abouy Board and train, doggy bootcamps, or dog walkers or daycares that also train your dog without you there... So not classes where you're really interacting. What qualifies someone to do that?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't trust people to do that.

/control freak/
Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I don't trust people to do that.

/control freak/
Lol I never would either. But if I did, I would expect to see a dog they trained doing what I'm paying them to teach the dog. I would want referrals.

I offer board and trains on a limited basis to work on repetitive tedious tasks that owners don't have time to do: crate training, house manners, recall, housetraining, etc.

Stuff that I absolutely know how to do, basically.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
If I was going to a class, I'd look for one that was convenient and one that I could sit in on a couple times without a dog to see what goes on. If it fits with what I want, sign me up, if not keep looking.

Beyond that, everybody is a trainer to me. When I first started, I had a few people that I looked to almost exclusively, the more I learned, the more I looked at everybody. I've picked up things from so many people I can't even remember them all.

Some have titled dogs, some have never, some don't do sports, a lot do. Some train for a living, some are training their first dog. My core principles don't change a lot, at least they haven't in quite some time, but I can always pick up a new trick here or there that can help me out.
This is a great answer.

My answer remains the same. I train bootcamp, besides not killing their dogs daily I feel my clients continue with me due to my customer service and the results I offer.

I would totally use the service I offer if I could afford it. I have requested in all seriousness sending B to my agility trainer a few times a week to be trained.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Resident fainting goat

Pet trainers?
I want their dog to be EXCEPTIONALLY well behaved, titles may not be needed but I would expect their personal dog to be a frikin angel.
I want their students to have good things to say (even if it means just positive yelp reviews or something)

Other dog trainers?
I would like titles on their personal dogs but more than that, MUCH MORE, I want titles on their students.
Being able to teach YOUR DOG something =/= being able to teach. The proof is in the pudding and that is dogs that have graduated from your classroom.

I don't care that YOU can title your dog, I don't live with you! I care that you can teach ME how to title my dog

I also like to see different methods, creative teaching styles that suit different dogs, knowledge of breeds and just..
being a kind human being.
I love training but I cannot stand mean trainers. I am not going to class to be talked AT or put down.. I am here to work with my dog and you are here to help me.