Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Laurelin, I would base it on your dog. Shamoo at 15 is far more spry than Arnold at 8. I would like to hope I can trial B at 9, hell we're hoping we might Q by then.

If Summer is healthy and happy keep running. Do you have any videos?
No real videos of agility. Here's one when we first were doing foundations. I'll have to try some of more complicated exercises next week. Filming is a hassle. Lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=duHy6XeESVYu

Here's us goofing around.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIfjtGIjus
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm All Ears

The trials I've been to have very few little dogs. Short jump heights are usually Cardis. But in my heights there's only one or two dogs running.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Small dogs in general are pretty rare here. I'm wondering if I just don't live in a very agility-happy area. Our trials are easy to register for last minute, they're not very crowded and there aren't many small dog competitors around.

Have two friends who run 10" dogs; one is a Havanese and the other is a Cavalier. They're often the only dogs competing in their height class (one is in Masters, the other Advanced). Plus, they're often the first dogs on the line since there's rarely any 6" regulars running. There's one lady with a fabulous little Pap who I see from time to time, but really that's it.

Heck, there's not even that many Jacks who I see competing. It's pretty much all herders and retrievers these days.
Low entries because there are often multiple trials each weekend in Ontario. Last weekend alone there were 3 east of Toronto, K-9 Klub, Spot On and AARF There has never been small dog numbers that equal or come close to the 22" or 26" divisions, at least not that I have saw.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Low entries because there are often multiple trials each weekend in Ontario. Last weekend alone there were 3 east of Toronto, K-9 Klub, Spot On and AARF There has never been small dog numbers that equal or come close to the 22" or 26" divisions, at least not that I have saw.
This is true. K9 Klub and DAO need to stop having trials on the same weekend. I'm debating going up to Innisfil the first weekend in July. I've not been before. Do they have a nice facility?

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Do you retire dogs once they hit a certain age or do you keep going as long as the dog is having a blast and not having and physical issues?
Well, Auggie was six when I retired him, a month before he turned seven.
But his grandma was retired when she was 15.

I think there's too many variables involved to give some kind of definite answer about when. Auggie's retirement didn't really have anything to do with his age. I mean, to a point it did... but it was a financial decision more than anything. It was going to be a lot of throwing money down chasing after a PACH that we were unlikely to get and his age was a factor in that. If he were three years old I probably would have looked at it a bit differently, but being a seven year old dog, the picture looked a bit differently to me. OTOH if I were a richer person and had money I was comfortable basically throwing away, I might have kept playing with him.

There's a lot of questions about health of a dog, how prone they are to injury, and their general enjoyment level as well that come far before "well how old is the dog?"

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm All Ears

Honestly at this point I don't care about titles. I dont have any particular ones I want and even if I did its not like I need to prove these dogs as they're both spayed pets. I guess it kind of looks like throwing away money but I don't see me really campaigning either dog for anything big. Titles happen they happen but if they don't then I'm ok too. To me it's just a fun thing to do with my dogs. She is having a lot of fun.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The trials I've been to have very few little dogs. Short jump heights are usually Cardis. But in my heights there's only one or two dogs running.
That's crazy. Our last one-ring trial had 20-25 dogs in 8" masters and that's a only one ring...

Novice and Open might only have a couple but with the big masters classes there are a lot of little dogs there. Well, there are a lot of dogs, period. Full trial syndrome I guess the 24" division (other end of the spectrum) always has quite a few more dogs than 8". 20" is usually the biggest class...very rarely under 50 dogs. For two-ring trials, flirting with triple digits is not unusual.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

We only had another dog to compete against once, in 8 inch novice and he was a Corgi. There are a few in some other classes, but not a whole lot.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

This is a pretty cool video. Sloan hadn't been on a full course since October in Las Vegas and Denis, although her owner and trainer in IPO & OB, has never handled in agility. They recently started some foundation classes to learn to work as a team and iron out some issues while getting hooked on another venue for some fun.

You can totally see Denis progress in this video, he was convinced he couldn't get those front crosses in a few places at the beginning (thus running her into dropping bars) but the next day he nails them. So many times he pushes her out too far, she's a bit disconnected and confused, but with time and practice they're going to be very smooth.

I can't wait to see what they can do with some practice and training.

I'm still debating posting my videos. LOL I might save those for a fun juxtaposition of when we actually can run a course at a trial.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Tons of little dogs around here. Lots of paps, chis, shelties (teeny ones that jump 8 or 12), poms, mini poodles, and tiny mixes. NADAC is a big fan of low jump heights, but generally half the trial is 4, 8, 12 (the other half 16/20).

Also, I will not put a retirement age on Lucy. She will tell me when she's done. This weekend a 14 year old basset finished her elite standard title. With low jump heights and no teeter, she was capable of doing it all.