Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

It's very odd to me to think of agility where the 8" class isn't dominated by Papillons. That's how it is around here. And plenty in the 12" class too, of course.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
So so so true. I only wish I had made this revelation sooner!

Our jumpers run from yesterday:

And today (when I realized she was not going to hold her start line for beans and I was going to have to run it completely differently from how I walked it. I had planned fronts and blinds, and ended up running the whole thing with some speedy rears!)

I can't view the first but the second looks great, very smooth and fast!

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm All Ears

Lucy looks great! What venue is that? I'm so used to 18 or so obstacles per course.

I have kind of a hard question..... When do you consider retiring a dog? I know I am just now starting out with mine but my trainer and I were talking about our dogs and she commented retiring her border collie in the upcoming year because she was 9. My brain goes 'Wait, Summer's 9 too...'

Summer is having a blast, she's only had the one injury really her entire life and as of now it's not come back. Hopefully it doesn't. She's fast, but more importantly she's having a lot of fun. Her lines have quite a bit of longevity (most relatives made 16+)in them and dogs that stay sound up until the last couple years. Every sports or working dog person comments on how sound of a little dog she is.

My plan with her has always been to take it day by day and just focus on having fun. I realized she was 8 before I started training and we're not going to have a really long career. But is it bad to continue playing with an older dog? At nationals there were lots of 10-12 year old dogs. I believe one of the little dogs was 14. Do you retire dogs once they hit a certain age or do you keep going as long as the dog is having a blast and not having and physical issues?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Sport Model Pug

As long as they're still healthy enough that its safe and want to play the game, I say let them play.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
The Monster.

A friend of mine trialed with her old girl (15-16 year old Aussie mix) up until a few months before she died. Obviously they weren't the fastest times, but both she and her dog had loads of fun while doing it, and the dog was sound. I'm glad my friend gave the opportunity to her dog to work with her until the very end.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm All Ears

That's been my opinion. Agility is the highlight of Summer's week. She LOVES it and is the most enthusiastic and is the fastest dog in her class. There is no question to me right now that Summer is having the time of her life. Caliterp's Lucy reminds me a lot of her running, actually. I know Lucy is 9 too.

It's hard since my past dogs were slowed down quite a bit by now. I don't want to push her too far but I like keeping her active. We regularly do 5-6 mike hikes and agility. I have no plans to stop now but every time I hear people talk about retiring their 9-10 year old I get to thinking....
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Top Dog

Congrats on all the success this weekend!! Everyone sounds like they had tons of fun.

I loved the video of Lucy, way to handle on the fly!

I was wondering the same thing Laurelin, there are a ton of paps/phalenes that run here. They are the go-to small dog breed it seems like.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Laurelin, I would base it on your dog. Shamoo at 15 is far more spry than Arnold at 8. I would like to hope I can trial B at 9, hell we're hoping we might Q by then.

If Summer is healthy and happy keep running. Do you have any videos?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Congrats on all the success this weekend!! Everyone sounds like they had tons of fun.

I loved the video of Lucy, way to handle on the fly!

I was wondering the same thing Laurelin, there are a ton of paps/phalenes that run here. They are the go-to small dog breed it seems like.
I asked my trainer and she just said it was the area. The only trial in the state ive ever seen paps at has been nationals. Then my club mates came back going 'wow I can't believe there were so many papillons!'

I even had one lady who is pretty far along (masters in usdaa and akc) with her border collie get all excited to meet Summer because she said she's never met a papillon before lol.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
The Monster.

Small dogs in general are pretty rare here. I'm wondering if I just don't live in a very agility-happy area. Our trials are easy to register for last minute, they're not very crowded and there aren't many small dog competitors around.

Have two friends who run 10" dogs; one is a Havanese and the other is a Cavalier. They're often the only dogs competing in their height class (one is in Masters, the other Advanced). Plus, they're often the first dogs on the line since there's rarely any 6" regulars running. There's one lady with a fabulous little Pap who I see from time to time, but really that's it.

Heck, there's not even that many Jacks who I see competing. It's pretty much all herders and retrievers these days.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog