Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Big Dog

Yeah, it's not KEYZ hond. It's CAYZ-HOND and the plural is CAYZ-HONDEN.

I used to be really into that breed and we had two while I was growing up.

Samoyed is Samy-ed (weird I know).
Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
With a golden and a crestie or two?
She said she had something like 14 dogs...for sure she had the Berger and an ACD, and a few other herding breeds. I don't know what else she had. She works for a popular raw dog food company.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
and the plural is CAYZ-HONDEN.
Oh geez... plurals are a WHOLE nother thing lol. I know that the plural for Corgi is something long and strange (at least to me) but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I didn't think that any other breeds had a "different" name when plural. Interesting Any others?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
Oh geez... plurals are a WHOLE nother thing lol. I know that the plural for Corgi is something long and strange (at least to me) but I can't think of it off the top of my head. I didn't think that any other breeds had a "different" name when plural. Interesting Any others?
Corgwyn A friend let me know a while back, but I still say "corgis" because I just know I'd get some weird looks otherwise.

I think it was Aleron who told me about Mudi and Pumi being Mudik and Pumik?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Top Dog

I think Vizsla plural is Vizslak. Or actually, maybe it isn't and is just Hungarian. Don't listen to me...

I think the plural names are pretty cool, even if I don't know any of them.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

I can't pronounce lots of breeds, but to date I've only met one person who can properly pronounce (or spell!) Dachshund.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNola View Post
I can't pronounce lots of breeds, but to date I've only met one person who can properly pronounce (or spell!) Dachshund.
I'll admit, even as an owner I often spell dachshund wrong :P And when talking about them its easier for me to just say doxie.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I was at an event with someone that has a hodge podge of dogs and I guess is quite active in agility. She had a Berger Picard in tow (really nice nice dog), and she pronounced it Burger Pickard. I guess some people care less than others.

"So you want Pickles on your Burger?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Scruff mutts.

I just say Pyrshep.
I know, I do too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
That's how I "try" to say it but I totally think I need a French accent in order to actually sound like I know what I'm doing

Agree! That's usually what I end up saying if I'm ever talking to someone about them. Because most people don't even know what I'm talking about anyway.
lol, I try but many I don't (like PyrShep).
The one that always gets me is when those "probably has never seen the breed in their life" TV reporters try way to hard to say the breed names right in the country of origin accent, just don't people! Honestly some times I wish they would just say it wrong than with those cheesy accents , "Vie-mrr-haw-ffffer" uh, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
It's "Corgwn", and one author wrote an easy way for the average public to somewhat say it right, is to treat it like you would the plural of Ox "Oxen", although it isn't totally correct, it's close enough.