Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer is pretty classic for a papillon. She is very friendly with people, loudmouthed, very stable and confident, loves to train, super biddable, intelligent, fast, athletic, happy, easily excited, cuddly and affectionate, quirky, and very handler oriented. Beau and Nard are also in this spectrum, although Nard is MUCH calmer than the other two and a little more hard headed. Beau is hyper but not in the same way as Summer. Summer's a little bit more excited-hyper and is very springy whereas Beau (especially younger) was just all over the place hyper. His grandpa was the same way, just darting everywhere all the time.

Mia is not unusual but she's on the reactive and sharp end of the spectrum. She's still capable of working through fears but she's much more concerned about things and is a not-stranger friendly dog at all. She does not like being touched by strangers. Environmental things also bother her more than other paps. Her energy level is pretty high but I think it's more that Mia lacks an off switch (or at least a good one). She is very busy and demanding and needs a lot more consistency to get her to settle down in the house. She will not be lazy all day, still at 4 years old. She needs some decent exercise every single day. She also has a lot more edge.... I'm not sure how to describe it but a level of intensity most paps don't have. She is no faster on the course than Summer but Mia's one of those dogs that tenses and shakes when she's raring to go whereas most paps seem to just be all 'oh yay this is fun!' But she's still very affectionate, very happy, trainable, biddable, exiciteable, etc. I think she and Summer overlap quite a bit even though they are very different in their tolerance for strangers. I have met other papillons much like Mia so she's not a complete anomaly by any means.

Rose is the far opposite of Mia. She is very low drive, and exceptionally low energy for the breed. She's just a lot quiet than most paps are. She could go forever without exercising, just wants to be lying on her pillow. She's also a lot more aloof than the others and is the only one that doesn't spend her day following a human around 24/7. She's also very meek, kind of timid, finicky, gentle... I don't meet many paps like her. She was cut from the breeder's program for temperament. She is a GREAT dog and the easiest one to keep as a pet. She's most peoples' favorite when they meet them all. But not normal for the breed.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Violet? Nope. I always say she's broken. She doesn't howl or talk like a normal husky. She doesn't really have the energy most huskies have (though she has her days). She doesn't even really have a tendency to run off like most huskies. She has slipped out the door a few times, but each time she comes running back as soon as we open a car door and she thinks she's going for a ride. She was a bit of a trouble maker when she was younger, but now we let her free roam the house at night and she doesn't cause trouble except if the bathroom door is open she will shred toilet paper. (We crate her when we are gone because she will get into things if no one is home.) She does have a high prey drive, and she looks like a husky, but that's about it.

Chloe is a pretty typical dachshund/chihuahua mix. She has traits of both, but mostly dachshund I'd say.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Big Dog

Both of mine are fairly typical for their breeds.

Bichons are supposed to be merry, cheerful, gentle mannered, sensitive, playful and affectionate". That's Baxter to a tee.

Yorkies are terriers by nature and are brave, determined, investigative and energetic. This decribes Rocky pretty well except that since he's older now he's not so energetic. I think most people who think of Yorkies as purse puppies would think that Rocky is far from what their idea of a Yorkie is.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Active Pup

Samwise was a Craigslist puppy, though I did get his breeder's info from his previous owner. Let's just say that if I was looking to buy directly from a breeder? His would be on the 'not in a million years' list. No titles, no health testing, lots of litters, and a whole mess of different breeds/designer mixes.

I do have to give them credit, though. For a family dog? His temperament is fabulous. But not... necessarily typical poodle, I don't think. We hear that he's too friendly a lot, when I've heard it's more typical for poodles to be a bit reserved or aloof with strangers. And he doesn't have great focus, though we're working on it. It's worked out for us so far, but we want to try him out in agility someday down the line, and it'll be a shame if he doesn't have the drive for it. Though maybe I could use that to justify another dog
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Professional Nerd

Grant? Yes. Stan? He's not incorrect, but you don't see a lot of Malinois with the bubbly, outgoing personally of a golden.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Enzo is not typical of her breed in that she doesn't fetch. She will in water! But on land? No fetching. Otherwise, her personality is pretty typical of what a Labrador is supposed to be. She's very happy to meet people, loves almost everyone, I think I can remember two people EVER that she's not liked, and they were creepy to me as well.

She's very loving, affectionate, and willing to please. She definitely loves water, and I think her only atypical trait is she's not a barker. She's barked like, maybe five times in her life.

Indy, I'm not sure if she is or not. If we're going with "Dutch Shepherds are just Malinois with stripes" but then based off the Mals I've known, and I've only known a handful, about half of them were "no touch" dogs that did police work, so I never got a sense of them when they weren't "on duty" and the other half were bred for French Ring, and were pretty similar to Indy. I only met them once a a FR club meeting. They didn't mind being touched by strangers, but they all had their tugs in their mouths, and were very happy because they'd all gotten done being worked in Ring. They were social in that, they'd run by with the tug if called over and brush up against you and then do the "herder circle" back around to their owners.

She's a focused dog, but most of that had to be trained in, she was very much an airhead when I got her. She's serious when she's working, but she likes to know she's doing a good job, or the right thing. It's not hard for me to shut her down if I do the wrong thing when we're doing obedience stuff. She hasn't ever been worked in IPO, so I don't know what she'd be like with a decoy.

She's not a "no touch" dog, but she doesn't like strangers. She pretty much ignores them completely. No aggression, and no acknowledgement that they exist basically, which is exactly what you want out of a dog that does the work she does. Once she knows someone she's very friendly with them, but never the type of dog to climb in their lap like Enzo, more like, she'll lay at their feet, or come up for a drive by petting.

With me though, she barkscreams when I come home from somewhere, which is the only time she barks, she likes to wrap my leg with her front legs and hold on for pettings. She likes to cuddle with me, but if I don't pet her how she likes she'll kick me My husband she likes in passing, I guess, but she's not really bonded to him.

She's very prey driven, especially with cats and squirrels. She loves to play fetch of any kind, and tug her most favorite game.

Um, I think that's it. Sorry for the novel.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

My two purebred dogs are, yes. Keeva I suspect is higher intensity/energy than many Cardis, and maybe higher prey drive as well, but she's definitely a Corgi.

Same with Blossom, she is a pretty typical Mal, though she seems to be extra dorky/goofy/clumsy, according to other Mal owners. LOL. Lucky me, I got the doofus.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Yes, my dogs are very typical Staffords. Pirate is more of the outgoing love everyone type which is most typical, where Tess is a little more reserved with strangers (she likes people who make a little effort, mostly defined as crouching down to pet her), but that falls within the normal spectrum of behavior.

Mine are pretty high energy/high drive, which not all seem to be, but again, well within the spectrum of normal.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Yes and no for all of mine, I think!

Frag is a very aloof dog, he does not enjoy pettings beyond the initial meet, does not seek out people and has one or two "people" that are his. He sheds like no one's business. He's whiney/vocal. Prone to S/A. Loyal. Versatile

But, he's all bark/no bite (to some that's abnormal and some that's desired, depends on who you ask) and is more of a couch potato. Not guardy whatsoever and absolutely fantastic with any and all dogs.

Sir is a very friendly dog, extremely energetic, a little stubborn, and easily motion distracted/focused. Lots of prey drive.

But, he loves water, doesn't smile, won't pull a bike, and isn't dog aggressive!

Recon is fast, quirky, driven. He's very eager to please and barky.

But, he is absolutely drawn to people and is afraid of sheep, with a fantastic off switch and no need for strenuous activity/mental stimulation most days.

All in all, I like that my dogs have the best traits for their breeds and lack the worst ones (for the most part)!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Mira is an water-loving orally-fixated happy dog who likes people, adores her person above all else, and wants to be involved in everything. She loves to work, any work, is bird-obsessed, will retrieve until she passes out, and is serious while working and light-hearted and a bit silly when off duty. She generalizes quickly and isn't bothered by loud sharp sounds. She can be extremely intense depending on the circumstances, and when in drive sees nothing but the task at hand.

I'd say she's well within the range for what a Flatcoat should be. On the serious, work-oriented side of things but not beyond reason.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13