Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
LOL no kidding! I say Malinois and they're like "oh a Malamute!". Even Roust's rabies certificate says "Belgian Malamoot". The only people who put it together are the ones who already at least kind of know what a Mal is and they usually ask me "Is that a Malinois (Or Malinoise LOL)? Our police department has one" or some such thing.

I tend to say Malinois just out of habit, unless I have Roo and a Black Dog out then I say they're Belgian Shepherds because it's easier. Saying Belgian Shepherd is certainly a better idea for simplicity and I try to remember but...it's hard! My dogs with their funny names and weird breeds just get confusing looks all around from the general public LOL

Popularity isn't as much an issue as breeders willing to sell dogs to anyone with no screening and no strings attached. And that seems to be pretty common with Mals
Popularity draws people in, but yes the breeders should be steadfast, in theory. Unfortunately in breeds without much interest the money breeders usually move on looking for an easier to sell commodity, that's all I mean.

Side note, I met a pyr today. Very cute!!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
With Savvy I think people ask what he is just so they don't accidentally end up with one LOL
I will take him. I was talking to a pyrshep person recently and she says people just assume hers came from the pound. Poor weird looking little sheepdogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post

Shep? lol
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I don't think I would guess ES if I met her either! They're just all so different looking and not really generic but have the good old farm dog look to them. When I did run into a ES I thought Aussie/BC mix but when she said English Shepherd I was like "OHHH! That makes sense!"

But, if I saw a Koolie I probably wouldn't guess Koolie either so I never expect anyone to ever get it!
If I saw Quinn on the street I would guess Border Collie cross too! She's on the bigger side for a BC bitch but has a similar build.

We have an ES (different breeder, but same grandsire as Quinn) who comes into my work pretty regularly. His owner was very surprised when I knew his breed - he definitely wasn't expecting it! He started to do the spiel about the breed, then I mentioned I had one and her was surprised, then SUPER excited lol!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Ok I just have to say I spent the last hour between customers trying to read this! It was awesome!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Popularity draws people in, but yes the breeders should be steadfast, in theory. Unfortunately in breeds without much interest the money breeders usually move on looking for an easier to sell commodity, that's all I mean.

"Sloan" & "backup" are weird names? I guess to someone they might be but I don't think they are weird, I think they are cool! Backup's name just fits his adorable expressionable face

Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
If I saw Quinn on the street I would guess Border Collie cross too! She's on the bigger side for a BC bitch but has a similar build.
There was a ES at our last agility trial -- pretty tri girl (almost no white...looked nearly black and tan). I asked if she was an ES and the lady grinned and talked all about her for the next twenty minutes hehe

Regarding Flat-Coats, I actually haven't had anyone guess anything weird in a while. In the summer if we're out in public it's usually to go to the lake, and there people just say she's one happy retriever. At training/competition stuff here, everyone pretty much knows who she is now and are familiar with the breed. I even went to a PetSmart with her about three weeks ago and a gal in the parking lot called out, "Is that a Flat-Coated Retriever???" I was surprised she knew, but Mira was just happy to get some lovin' lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I will take him. I was talking to a pyrshep person recently and she says people just assume hers came from the pound. Poor weird looking little sheepdogs.
I get that a lot with Savvy "Awwww did he come from the pound?" or "how wonderful that you rescued him!". And I'm like "errr...ummm....weellll....". Oh and if I take him to the flea market people automatically think I'm trying to give him away. And that was especially so when he was a puppy.

Occasionally people meet him and are like "OMG I love him!". Usually people who are into dog sports but occasionally pet owners too. I guess some people just like crazy I think it's safe to say he won Emily over with his hypeactive-ADD-can-I-be-your-boyfriend-random-springing-flinging charm LOL.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
I think it's safe to say he won Emily over with his hypeactive-ADD-can-I-be-your-boyfriend-random-springing-flinging charm LOL.
I LOVE HIM!!! He's very charming indeed, makes me kinda want one. But right now I need a PyrShep like I need a hole in my head.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm All Ears

Okay....lots of jealousy you got to meet him now.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Okay....lots of jealousy you got to meet him now.
He's super cool. I liked him even more in person than I do "on paper." I really, really think you'd just love one, Laur!