Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Summer is pretty classic for a papillon. She is very friendly with people, loudmouthed, very stable and confident, loves to train, super biddable, intelligent, fast, athletic, happy, easily excited, cuddly and affectionate, quirky, and very handler oriented. Beau and Nard are also in this spectrum, although Nard is MUCH calmer than the other two and a little more hard headed. Beau is hyper but not in the same way as Summer. Summer's a little bit more excited-hyper and is very springy whereas Beau (especially younger) was just all over the place hyper. His grandpa was the same way, just darting everywhere all the time.

Mia is not unusual but she's on the reactive and sharp end of the spectrum. She's still capable of working through fears but she's much more concerned about things and is a not-stranger friendly dog at all. She does not like being touched by strangers. Environmental things also bother her more than other paps. Her energy level is pretty high but I think it's more that Mia lacks an off switch (or at least a good one). She is very busy and demanding and needs a lot more consistency to get her to settle down in the house. She will not be lazy all day, still at 4 years old. She needs some decent exercise every single day. She also has a lot more edge.... I'm not sure how to describe it but a level of intensity most paps don't have. She is no faster on the course than Summer but Mia's one of those dogs that tenses and shakes when she's raring to go whereas most paps seem to just be all 'oh yay this is fun!' But she's still very affectionate, very happy, trainable, biddable, exiciteable, etc. I think she and Summer overlap quite a bit even though they are very different in their tolerance for strangers. I have met other papillons much like Mia so she's not a complete anomaly by any means.

Rose is the far opposite of Mia. She is very low drive, and exceptionally low energy for the breed. She's just a lot quiet than most paps are. She could go forever without exercising, just wants to be lying on her pillow. She's also a lot more aloof than the others and is the only one that doesn't spend her day following a human around 24/7. She's also very meek, kind of timid, finicky, gentle... I don't meet many paps like her. She was cut from the breeder's program for temperament. She is a GREAT dog and the easiest one to keep as a pet. She's most peoples' favorite when they meet them all. But not normal for the breed.