Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 AM
orange iguanas.

Boston terrier. To this day, people still think Juno is a boston. Which, let's be real, aside from color that would just never be my first thought.
Or "boxer and.....?"
And then the people who think they know better than me when I say she's a brindle.

The other 2, don't really get guesses. I think "poodle mix" is kind of a given with Lucy. The only guess I've gotten about Happy is "is that a keeshond/keeshond mix?" and yeah I could totally see that. And truth be told I don't even know what Happy is lol so whatever, guess away!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

Goose gets Chinese Shar pei a lot. It had not happened in quite awhile when a new coworker recently asked, with furrowed brow 'where do you get a shar pei like that?'.

Nog usually gets Pug/Terrier mix.

A little boy once called Aesop a lion

And I was asked if Brooks was a Goldendoodle
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

At nearly 7, Smalls is somehow still a Lab puppy to a lot of folks. Or a "Miniature Lab" because unbeknownst to me, that is a thing? I met one at a nail trim clinic. I cut her nails and remarked she looked similar to Smalls, and the woman said "Oh you have a mini Lab too? We had to pay quite a bit, but she is exactly what we were looking for."

Jack is thought of as a Husky or once in a while a GSD. I'll usually tell people what he is, but a Husky isn't a far cry so no big deal. I can't recall any one saying any thing about the others in a long time, but Shambles always draws the guessing. Is he a Pit? Is he a Bulldog?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I don't know, I don't mind confusion over my dogs. They're not appropriate for the average "oh they're pretty, and my how well they behave!" to purchase so its for the best they stay in the dark. If anything I usually say yup, like a GSD only from Belgium or Belgian shepherd. Hopefully then they will at least google before buying one.

http://thedogsnobs.com/2013/06/15/ow...ead-ignoramus/
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't know, I don't mind confusion over my dogs. They're not appropriate for the average "oh they're pretty, and my how well they behave!" to purchase so its for the best they stay in the dark. If anything I usually say yup, like a GSD only from Belgium or Belgian shepherd. Hopefully then they will at least google before buying one.

I dunno, if the people you talk to can even remember the word "Malinois" (let alone spell it) they're head and shoulders above most here. LOL Half the time I just stick with generic "shepherd" unless somebody asks something specific. I almost never bust out the word Malinois, it just leads to headaches.

Then again, nobody seems to want a Blossom. I can't imagine why, unless it's the barking, the spinning, the biting.... LOL

Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I often wish we didn't have socially appropriate dogs, I have a habit of deleting videos of training when my dogs are nuts, I feel like its a lie and people don't believe the work we put in to get dogs like this. Denis busts out with Malinois a lot and it leads to more questions, Belgian shepherd, like German shepherd or Australian shepherd, tends to finalize inquiries, ime.

They're good dogs, I prefer them to stay the way they are and popularity has never helped a breed.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM
love herds

I had a full out argument with a guy who was convinced that Desoto was an ACD because he has prick ears. Apparently it was easier to accept that he was a huge, extremely fluffy, merle ACD with loads of white trim than just an aussie with uppity ears

Radar is ALWAYS called a 'scottie dog' or 'maggie' or 'the little Ceasers dog' the only people that ever actually call him a Westie are other Westie owners. People know what he is just not what his breed is actually called, if that makes sense.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Big Dog

Baxter has been labelled as basically every variety of poodle. I was surprised the other day when we were out for a walk. A lady came flying down her driveway and I'm thinking "Great, she's going to want to pet my poodle", then she blurts out "Oh my gosh! He's an adorable Bichon!". I swear I saw rays of light and heard hallejula!

Rocky usually gets pegged as a yorkie... That usually gets followed by "I've never seen one so big!".
Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I dunno, if the people you talk to can even remember the word "Malinois" (let alone spell it) they're head and shoulders above most here. LOL Half the time I just stick with generic "shepherd" unless somebody asks something specific. I almost never bust out the word Malinois, it just leads to headaches.
LOL no kidding! I say Malinois and they're like "oh a Malamute!". Even Roust's rabies certificate says "Belgian Malamoot". The only people who put it together are the ones who already at least kind of know what a Mal is and they usually ask me "Is that a Malinois (Or Malinoise LOL)? Our police department has one" or some such thing.

I tend to say Malinois just out of habit, unless I have Roo and a Black Dog out then I say they're Belgian Shepherds because it's easier. Saying Belgian Shepherd is certainly a better idea for simplicity and I try to remember but...it's hard! My dogs with their funny names and weird breeds just get confusing looks all around from the general public LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Then again, nobody seems to want a Blossom. I can't imagine why, unless it's the barking, the spinning, the biting.... LOL
LOL no one ever has wanted a dog Roo either. Even though he's well behaved and generally acts fine. It could be the fact that my first words are always "do not try to touch him"..."don't touch him"..."my dog is not friendly"..."he doesn't like strangers, don't pet him". No one in agility class ever wanted him because he's the clumsiest dog ever and they probably thought he seemed kinda dumb as he came out of the tunnels on his face repeatedly and flailed around on the puppy dogwalk He's better at flyball...but still no one wants him LOL

With Savvy I think people ask what he is just so they don't accidentally end up with one LOL

Quote:
They're good dogs, I prefer them to stay the way they are and popularity has never helped a breed.
Popularity isn't as much an issue as breeders willing to sell dogs to anyone with no screening and no strings attached. And that seems to be pretty common with Mals

Hey my question was about brown dogs LOL
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:

We were definitely a "Type 1" when we took in Sally. It was pretty much went like "Hmm, she looks like a pit bull and hasn't tried to eat us in our sleep yet, let's Google 'pit bull'."

With Sally I've gotten boxer, "tiger" pit bull, (regular) pit bull, American Staffordshire terrier, and my personal favorite-pit bull/pug mix.

Lots of people think Jack is a chessie. Everytime we go somewhere crowded someone asks at least once. I've been asked 3 times in one trip to Petsmart and several time at the farmers market if he was a chessie. I did have a guy at the dog park absolutely insist Jack was a lab/rottie mix.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.