Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie was entered in both jumpers and standard, both days, for his first trial. (At the time FAST wasn't a class yet.)

Payton is only entered in jumpers both days for his first trial, but part of that is because a) he's not solid on contacts yet and b) it's the local trial but it's indoors on their crappy floor and I really don't want to run my dogs on that floor. We are going just for fun and whatever happens happens. As long as he doesn't run out of the ring and pick a fight or something. For our next trial after that, at the end of July, he is entered in both JWW and standard both days... but I'm thinking of pulling him because of money issues. I entered him knowing if I didn't like how his contacts were I would pull him anyway.

The nerves get better. The first time I ran Auggie I was so nervous and I almost threw up on the teeter. No joke, I almost heaved in the ring. It took a good long while before I felt comfortable with it, but the last couple years of his career we just had fun with it. It didn't matter if we Q'd or not. I was just playing with my dog. I am freaking out about running Payton for a myriad of reasons, the biggest being that I am about to come smack in the face to the reality that I am running Payton now, and not Auggie, and I will probably never run Auggie again. And I don't want to face that. I have no idea how I'm going to feel when I'm actually there and on the line though. Nervous? Excited? Will I cry? I don't know. I'll find out soon enough...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I entered Sloan in all classes at her first AKC, several or all at her first NADAC. Backup, maybe we'll try half of a class?

Really, I don't get nerves in agility, I reserve crippling ring nerves for obed mostly because even if I look like an ass I know my dogs are having a blast. Things may change if I get more competitive, lets hope not because I need a "let loose".
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

I wasn't nervous, but I think Lolie gets ring nerves. Half the time she's perfectly fine, and the other half of the time she DOES everything, but it's like pulling teeth.

Well scratch that, I do always get a bit nervous that I'm going to get lost in the course. But that's my thing not the Lola dogs lol.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Because taking agility or life too seriously is anti pit bull.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

This thread has been killing me, folks training, folks trialing and having fun with their dogs. And doing so well

Here is The Punk at 7 months of age, learning wraps etc. This was our first time with me running and sending her to a tunnel.
We haven't been doing a lot of agility foundations training with equipment (about once a week now for a month) but working on her impulse control and OB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kMH...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I get nervous EVERY TIME. I still get nervous in class, too! One day it will get better I hope, as Kimma totally picks up on it. But I get nervous for any dog things, so it's not just reserved for agility.

For our first weekend out, I entered her Friday and Sunday both Standard and JWW each day. It ended up being the right decision for us, and now I feel pretty comfortable entering her in both classes a couple of days in a row. Not sure how I would feel about 3, but I haven't come to that yet

Oh I love that Moo. She's a good trainer

Punky looks so good! And you've given me some stuff to think about... When is it appropriate to teach wraps (what age/what prior training must be done)? How does everyone here teach them?

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
This thread has been killing me, folks training, folks trialing and having fun with their dogs. And doing so well

Here is The Punk at 7 months of age, learning wraps etc. This was our first time with me running and sending her to a tunnel.
We haven't been doing a lot of agility foundations training with equipment (about once a week now for a month) but working on her impulse control and OB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2kMH...ature=youtu.be
She looks awesome!!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Punky looks so good! And you've given me some stuff to think about... When is it appropriate to teach wraps (what age/what prior training must be done)? How does everyone here teach them?
This!! Punky looks awesome!!! <3 her so much.

Wraps are one of the first things I teach. Just wrapping a post, or a tree, or a cone, or a jump standard. They teach a lot of great things other than just wrapping such as sending, powering through a turn, directionals and handling. Wraps are awesome. I started Zinga on wraps at about 5 months I think? Obviously not over-doing it, short fun sessions centered around mostly play.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm All Ears

I am feeling less nervous but still trying to decide if I want to enter one or two classes per dog. Y'all have fantastic advice!

Oh decisions.......
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

hahahaha I couldn't resist this ribbon. We actually placed second but we were just short on points from a Q. He went nuts with zoomies and tunnel sucking while wasting some time but he got his contact on the Aframe (mom quick released, bad mom) and came together after some serious OMG YAY!

I'm not sure if I will run him in std but he's having fun, a ton of it, so that's all that matters.

Sloan ate it off the Aframe, not sure why, but she came out of it fine and reran (full house) and hit her contact just fine. She missed her weaves but his handling needs some soothing out to help her. She Q'd and took third.