Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Agility freak!

Default Undercut hairstyles

You know, the half/part shaved look? I am seriously considering it right now.

For what it's worth, I have hair that looks like this:

Taken about a year ago, but it's looked like that for as long as I can remember. I usually wear it just like that, or up in a pony tail. No variety really.

So I am looking for something that looks a little more... well, like I put some effort into it, but is still easy. So I am looking at this undercut thing, and just don't know if it'd look good on me. I'd like to keep it so that I could part it over so that it looks like it's not shaved, but still can do it so you can see it. Basically, looking at this girls blog post, I really like it.
http://fat-aus.com/2011/08/17/so-you...alf-your-head/

... Anyone here have that style? How hard is it to deal with, maintain, and honest opinions, you think it's something I could pull off?

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

I would think that if you have naturally curly hair (and it looks like you do?) if you ever want to grow out that side again, it's going to be a bitch. Not to mention it will take twice as long for it to go back to 'normal'. But if you don't have curly hair, disregard this.

Might be quite a bit of maintenance. Especially if you're used to doing nothing with it. (In terms of keeping it shaved and looking like that. Not really in terms of daily maintenance.)

It depends on how drastic you want to go, but I definitely think there are many unique things you could do before shaving half your head.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Agility freak!

Should have mentioned that. That is my hair if I don't brush it. And if I encourage it to be curly. It never gets any more curly then that. And it grows short really wavy, no curl, then curls when it gets longer..

Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

I think you'd look great, but mostly because I think you're pretty enough to pull off most hairstyles.

I went through a period where I was considering a half shaved hairstyle, but I knew I'd regret it because I just don't have the face for it. It's a little overdone but not a bad hairstyle by any means. If you like the look, take the corner of your hair that you'll be cutting/shaving and try to pull it back tightly against your scalp. Clip your hair from the back to keep it there and see if you like your temporary undercut look
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
Should have mentioned that. That is my hair if I don't brush it. And if I encourage it to be curly. It never gets any more curly then that. And it grows short really wavy, no curl, then curls when it gets longer..
Ahh okay. Because I have curly hair and anytime I cut it short or 'accidently' snip something shorter than the rest... chaos. Especially in the bang area. I look like Medusa.

Anyway, growing it back out shouldn't be too difficult. I'd just get someone who knew what they were doing, though. You want to be able to shave half, but flip your hair over it if you want. (I'm guessing?)

And if this is also a "Omg my heat is so hot in this summer heat." getting your hair thinned helps with that. It's helped me with my poofiness and headaches that I got from having such heavy hair.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
I think you'd look great, but mostly because I think you're pretty enough to pull off most hairstyles.

I went through a period where I was considering a half shaved hairstyle, but I knew I'd regret it because I just don't have the face for it. It's a little overdone but not a bad hairstyle by any means. If you like the look, take the corner of your hair that you'll be cutting/shaving and try to pull it back tightly against your scalp. Clip your hair from the back to keep it there and see if you like your temporary undercut look
Awe, thank you so much! Thanks for that suggestion. I will give that a try tonight and see what I think. I think I'll really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
Ahh okay. Because I have curly hair and anytime I cut it short or 'accidently' snip something shorter than the rest... chaos. Especially in the bang area. I look like Medusa.

Anyway, growing it back out shouldn't be too difficult. I'd just get someone who knew what they were doing, though. You want to be able to shave half, but flip your hair over it if you want. (I'm guessing?)

And if this is also a "Omg my heat is so hot in this summer heat." getting your hair thinned helps with that. It's helped me with my poofiness and headaches that I got from having such heavy hair.
Yeah, I'm looking for someone who knows what they're doing. I wish there was a really good site where you could try on hairstyles!

This isn't about the heat, in the summer I usually just throw back in a pony tail. I just really love the look and I have had the same hair for YEARS and want a "real" change. The boyfriend makes fun of me for paying all that money to just to get like an inch trimmed off.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Slave to the Aussie

I have an undercut all be it much shorter.

It's pretty easy upkeep and styling now. When I had just the side panel short it was much harder to make it not like I had just had surgery there or something
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

I am LOVING mine. I am like you, most days I wear my hair up, and really can't be bothered to style it. My sister commented that she really likes it on me because it makes it look "styled" even when it's not. It's also cool because you have the option of parting it on the other side to hide it.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
I have an undercut all be it much shorter.

It's pretty easy upkeep and styling now. When I had just the side panel short it was much harder to make it not like I had just had surgery there or something
What do you mean the side panel? Like not the whole half?

I am looking at keeping it so that I can part it differently and cover the other side up at times too (like when it's growing out, eventually, etc.)

Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Go for it! I think it's a really fun hair style. I was seriously considering it for a while. But my hair takes FOREVER to grow out so I decided it was probably a bad idea. Instead I went for just kind of a short sideburn bit/short bangs on one side, so when I pulled my hair all the the other side it was sort of a similar effect. Like so...

I liked it, it was a bit of a nice, funky look, though I always thought it looked a bit funny when I had my hair totally down. I've since let it grow out and it's pretty much blended in with the rest of my hair now.