Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

Wow!! Backup looks fantastic!!!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm All Ears

I...: think I'm going to enter at least Summer in this trial. Not sure how many runs/days. I am wavering on Mia though. Well see how that goes he next couple weeks.

I am thinking they will both be running preferred in usdaa. 12 inches seems really tall for such little dogs. Especially an oldie and a dog with some structure issues. I wish they had better jump heights.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I...: think I'm going to enter at least Summer in this trial. Not sure how many runs/days. I am wavering on Mia though. Well see how that goes he next couple weeks.

I am thinking they will both be running preferred in usdaa. 12 inches seems really tall for such little dogs. Especially an oldie and a dog with some structure issues. I wish they had better jump heights.
Me too. My 16.2" dog is supposed to jump 22". No thank you! Every other venue she jumps 16". Can you run summer as a veteran? I've run Lucy that way in USDAA before to drop the jump heights.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

lowercase

DO IT!!!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

lowercase

DO IT!!!
That!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm getting nervous just thinking about it!

I think all three days may be too much for them. I may be dropping $1400 on my car so that may limit the amount of runs I get to do.

But I think I'm going to do jumpers/gamblers at least one or two days.

Do y'all enter every day first trial out of the bat?

Summer could run veterans but ts masters level. I've talked to my trainer about it but she thinks as of now summer is ok jumping 8" which is what preferred would be for her. It kind of makes me nervous since that's full height akc. So if they need to drop to 4" or something I don't have that option in usdaa. Bah
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm All Ears

I think Summer stands a good chance of Qing. Not sure about Mia. My friend was suggesting doing standard and just skip weaves if needed. I know for sure my dogs will miss weaves so that makes me want to just go do jumpers. We're having weave camp though this month starting tonight.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Nooooo. (Though that's as much for me as it is for Lucy--I get exhausted after multiple day affairs) Lucy actually tends to do better on day 2 of a trial when we do enter multiple days (used to the venue, the edge is taken off after being tired the day before), but since I have to travel at least 90 minutes to get to a trial, it's hard to motivate myself to do that very often.

My trainer is HUGE on getting us to enter one day only when we start, and NOT FIX ANYTHING. Just keep running. Dog skips weaves? Keep going. Avoids a contact? Keep going. Knocks a bar? Keep going. (And I have a pretty tenacious dog--with a softie it's even more important).

Keep it light, easy, and reward them for playing with you. A trial is 100x more stressful than class, so set them up for success.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My first trial was a 2 day trial; I ran every starters class, so 3 classes a day. The advantage to doing a bit more is that you get less nervous as time goes on, and if you and your dog have a meltdown at first, you have time to fix it. That's what I tell myself anyway

Preferred works for my dogs in USDAA. Honestly, I could probably run Gusto Championship, but at just a hair under 17", I jump him 16" preferred. How tall are your girls?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Ok that's good. I work Friday so wasn't planning on taking off. Was thinking about entering Saturday.

Summer is so resilient so I was contemplating running her two days. Probably a bad idea. Mia I know I will need to take it slow. One or two runs is all for her. I'm a bit nervous about it to be honest. She is sensitive sometimes.

It will be indoors which will be brand new. One concern is that there were NO 8" preferred dogs at the last trial so if I ran both I'd probably be back to back. Now I see why so many people keep their dogs in different classes.