Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Ok, I already have plans for what Nextdog will be but I was just curious what breeds come to mind when I describe this:

- Size doesn't matter for this really. <50 lbs?

Koolies have a wide range in size as you know but most seem to be between 25-45 lb.
- coat doesn't matter

- Energy level- moderate to high with great off switch. Puts in a lot of effort when need be but also is totally cool to sleep part of the day.

Endless amount of energy and go but a VERY nice inherent off switch. But, that needs to be rewarded and encouraged and busy behavior not rewarded. It would be relatively easy to create a dog with the need to be doing something in them because they do find DOING THINGS rewarding.

Both of mine are sleeping at my feet right now after a day of not getting out at all and no training. And I worked all day. In a few minutes I'll probably take each outside for around 10-15 minutes each and play some disc and do some training and that will be that for the night.

Didgie is a more busy dog but it's in a nice way, she finds bones and chews on them or finds a toy and plays with it. She tends to go lay down on one couch, get up five minutes later and go lay down on another and so on. Traveler doesn't tend to entertain himself but rather just goes into stasis mode where he quietly waits for me to move.

And you will never be able to think about getting up without your dog being right there and ready to do things with you.

Overall Didgie and Traveler probably get individually 2-3 off leash hikes a week and 2-3 bike rides a week during spring/summer/fall. They also tend to get either disc play and/or flirt pole for a little bit daily. That being said, it's not a stretch to say that sometimes they go a week without really getting anything and during the winter I go into hibernation and they don't get anywhere near what they probably should. They deal incredibly well with that though.

Didgie is a more busy dog but it's in a nice way, she finds bones and chews on them or finds a toy and plays with it. She tends to go lay down on one couch, get up five minutes later and go lay down on another and so on. Traveler doesn't tend to entertain himself but rather just goes into stasis mode where he quietly waits for me to move.

- Extremely high biddability and desire to work with you.

One the my favorite things with them is how much they love and enjoy doing things with you. Happy dogs that seem to just enjoy life to the fullest and everything you do or they do is done because it's a joy rather than a job. I think if I had to use one word to describe them it would be enthusiasm about life.

Traveler works incredibly hard to make me happy and Didgie is more female in the respect that she doesn't look at me like I hung the moon and stars but she still really loves working with and for me and derives a lot of pleasure out of it.

They don't give up and they don't get bored. But they do get frustrated.

- Some sort of high useable drive (for us it's food but could be anything. Doesn't need to be mal level or anything. But at any rate a dog that is easily motivated)

What I also like is that both are easy to reward. I can use a ball, a tug, food or a YIPEE!! Didgie has a lot more varied drives switches more easily between then Traveler but I think that has some to do with who they are naturally but more to do with what I know now vs when I got Traveler.

- Extremely people friendly. Very outgoing that way.

Traveler tends to be more enthusiastic in his love of everyone and can get overstimulated and Didgie is more into me and what I can give her while out. But, my approach to how they deal with people was done very different between them.

But overall the breed is known to be incredibly people friendly.

- very athletic/likes to jump.

Well, I don't even need to go into that.

- Very suited to agility training/fast. (essentially lightly built)

Some lines are bigger boned than others and you would have to look around for the right overall build but definitely not uncommon in Koolies.

- dog friendliness- not necessarily a dog park dog but can live peacefully with other dogs easily

Both Didgie are dog friendly though rather intense for some dogs. Traveler and Didgie's focus tends to be more on doing things with me when we're out playing but never an issue with aggression. Though, Traveler does have issues with getting attacked or humped all the time by dogs.

- relatively sensitive personality. But also very confident. I am not sure if I am wording that correctly. Not a very hard or sharp kind of dog?

I think that makes sense. Traveler and Didgie both are sensitive to my moods and what I want (Traveler more so than Didgie) but that being said they don't take things to heart or break down because of a correction, but they understand it.

- Very confident with surroundings and new things. Takes everything in stride. Maybe not as prone to needing such extensive socialization like Mia does and a lot of breeds I like do.

Overall a stable breed with fewer nerve issues that you typically see in herding breeds. They can still be twitchy and some lines are more "shy" than others but that's not the ideal. They should and most are outgoing dogs that fear very little. But they are still twitchy herding dogs so react first, think later in a lot of instances. But recover fast.

I never really did socialization with Traveler or Didgie in the sense that I wanted them exposed to everything to make them not afraid. It was more getting them into stimulating environments and working on them keeping their heads and not getting overstimulated by the excitement.

Mine have been exposed to concerts, gun fire, fireworks, storms, trains and never seemed bothered at all. Traveler slept through a firework show at a year old and I'm not sure Didgie noticed fourth of July.

-Happy/up personality. Easily excited, lol. I guess some would say just a touch hyper.

Koolies are happy. It's one of the things I love best about them. Everything is enjoyed, everything is fun and everything needs to happen. They never just say hi they SAY HI!!!! Why walk when you can run? And why sit when you can jump?

- Extremely handler oriented/velcro

Both of mine are cuddlers to an extent. Traveler often curls up in the crook of my legs and sleeps like that at night. Didgie is a draper who sprawls over me often. But they don't NEED to be on me all the time. They like to be on the same couch, by my feet or near more often than not. But I very rarely wake up or watch TV without one of them at some point being next to me.

They are always in the room with me, always know where I am and the amount of times one has landed on my while I'm on the toilet is slightly embarrassing.

It does cause some issues when one is being worked or taken out and the other isn't. They tend to be crated for that reason.

Bonus: toy drive and likes water (which is a trait I don't have at the moment lol)

Koolies as a whole really seem to enjoy water, some take to it faster than others but I don't think I know of a Koolie that doesn't enjoy swimming and fetching by two.
So since Koolies were already recommended I figured I would throw my thoughts in! Answers in purple!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I think a lot of gundogs are just as happy being mentally challenged as they are physically! The only thing I would say, is they can be a bit thick headed. They are often used to being very far away from their handler, so can be independent and stubborn. Vislas are (to my knowledge) considered softer than gsp.
Yes. Sometimes Penn will sit/stay& when I ask for movement, she just sits there looking at me like ..nope. Especially if it's after I've corrected her for breaking the stay. The independence is there for sure& the handler focus took a long time to get ..and still leaves swiftly should a bird fly overhead. Vizslas are generally super soft for sure.

I don't think a gsp would have the trainer focus... It's the one thing I do miss in Freddie, he does nothing unless there is something in it for him, you have to get his attention with something, or you're screwed.
Penn had to actually learn this skill.. I would say I still reward most things about 80% of the time (not basics like sit, down, paw ..the easy ones aha) and that seems to keep her paying attention ..but only because she's waiting for a reward not because she has a true deep love to please me LOL She's a velcro dog but in a very odd way. She needs to be able to always have my location but she doesn't always need to be NEAR me. If I leave her, all hell breaks loose. If she leaves me, I better be where she can find me when she checks back in!

Vizla might be a good choice though, and a bitch would be quite small and light.
Penn is about 22.25 inches at the shoulder& 44lbs. A little taller than Briar& the same weight. She's a tiny little thing and basically on springs! She jumps MUCH cleaner than B.

Honestly though, if you want to do dog sports, there's a reason herders are picked over a lot of gundogs!!
And this. Penn was purchased to be my snuggle bunny& running partner. She is excelling at both those jobs ..agility came after we had our breeder with 6wk old puppies. I wouldn't change that decision but my next dog will be a Border, Kelpie, Sheltie, etc!

*My thoughts are in bold but the pretty much just match pace for pace Dizzy. I only know 2 GSPs& they are both neurotic rescues who bark constantly at shadows so I can't speak for them LOL
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
So since Koolies were already recommended I figured I would throw my thoughts in! Answers in purple!
Stop that. Stop making them sounds so perfect. I think I just need to have a Koolie in with my cattle dogs. That would make life perfect.

Laur- I think there are a lot of dogs that fit your needs. Do you like having a good breed community to fall back on? That may be something to help narrow down the choices. From my research, Vizsla communities are normally pretty welcoming, but some do kind of hold grudges to people not planning to hunt their dog. BC's are obviously pretty split between working and conformation and performance sometimes in there. Ect, ect. I don't know. Just throwing that out there. I like having a nice breed specific community to fall back on that's welcoming and without a whole lot of turbulence.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
How are they at pulling? Everything about them is everything I love about Squash, plus an off switch? STOP TALKING ABOUT THEM.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 PM
BusterLove

Lol. Sass. There is a woman in Western Australia that has 2 Toolallah Koolies that she does competitive sledding with. She also runs huskies but her Koolies do really well.

You know... if that helps.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
How are they at pulling? Everything about them is everything I love about Squash, plus an off switch? STOP TALKING ABOUT THEM.
What Mrose said! She's one of my favorite Koolie people and she got into the breed looking for a dog with the stamina, drive and build for sledding and fell into Koolies.

She's actually a member here, maybe this will make her post. Her and her dogs are awesome and they live for pulling.

ETA: And the bikjoring I've been doing recreationaly with Traveler has been awesome! So much heart and soul in it and he looooves it.

Last edited by Linds; 06-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Bored Now.

Get a Visla because... V!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

Soooooo...any chance a Chazzer Koolie litter would be on the ground in 4-6 years? The more I read, and now knowing that they're mostly taller than I thought they were, I'm seriously considering trying a Koolie as a successor dog when Logan retires.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 AM
such sights to show you

People. This is the EXACT OPPOSITE of stopping talking about them!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Soooooo...any chance a Chazzer Koolie litter would be on the ground in 4-6 years? The more I read, and now knowing that they're mostly taller than I thought they were, I'm seriously considering trying a Koolie as a successor dog when Logan retires.
I have a feeling NONE of those puppies would make it outside of the Chaz circle.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/