Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Thanks! They definitely sound like a breed with a fabulous temperament that I think I'd enjoy a lot. Wish they were more common to get to meet some.

English shepherds are the same way but I worry a bit more that they may not be drivey enough.

Y'all all need to make road trips to Oklahoma.
I would totally go to OK if Sara wanted to road trip (obviously I don't have the integral part of this meetup), besides, I'm sure Siri would love to come and pull on Mia's face and see how mad she can make her

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

A Payton fits every one of your requirements but this one:

Quote:
- Very confident with surroundings and new things. Takes everything in stride. Maybe not as prone to needing such extensive socialization like Mia does and a lot of breeds I like do.
And even this one he mostly fits. I think he would fit it 100% if his breeder had done a lot of early puppy socialization, but I think he just missed out on some stuff. Also, as he's getting older, he is mellowing out on the THAT'S A WEIRD THING. It's further and further between incidents these days. He had a nice brief wig out when my parents brought home the new patio furniture but previous to that it was the clipboard at his CGC, and that was... October? About six months ago anyway. I think he's getting more confident since clearly nothing has killed him yet. Also as long as he can investigate something he's pretty quick to go "Oh, that's no big deal. Moving on." I expect as he matures more it will become a total non-issue.

I really liked Zinga when I met her, and even though I haven't met him I adore Traveler (like we all do LOL.) Honestly if I didn't know shelties were perfect for me, I'd seriously look into koolies as a future dog. I think you could definitely consider them and put them on your list.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Do Koolies have a off switch? They don't seem like it lol

Importing is actually very easy esp into Canada or the US. You could always use a transport company. It takes the stress off and they take care of everything for you and doesn't really add that much extra. I think they charged $200 (ish) over the price of the import to handle all customs in Vancouver, keep Solo over night and put her on the plane the next day. All I had to do was walk in, sign a paper and walk out with her. Totally worth it.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post

Importing is actually very easy esp into Canada or the US. You could always use a transport company. It takes the stress off and they take care of everything for you and doesn't really add that much extra. I think they charged $200 (ish) over the price of the import to handle all customs in Vancouver, keep Solo over night and put her on the plane the next day. All I had to do was walk in, sign a paper and walk out with her. Totally worth it.
Zinga does, otherwise I don't think I'd ever step foot in Sara's house again. Which is very fortunate, because I quite enjoy hanging out with Sara and her dogs

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Everything I've heard says they have an excellent off switch. Which is good, because I don't want a dog without an off switch, and Koolies are definitely on my future dog list.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia's to the point where she startles then recovers fast. Summer on the other hand seems oblivious to potentially dangerous things. Both have good and bad points to them. Mia is much more concerned with things in general. Summer is all about the people.

Going by the other thread it sounds like koolies would have more 'edge'. There's that word again. That wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I like some edge and a lot of drive. Summer is not edgy at all. She's just kind of a mush. Lol. And yet she's very fast and driven in agility. Mia is much more edgy in real everyday life. But she also is definitely on the overly cautious side of things. And also just a touch sharp.

I love their balance and how both adore agility. I love summer's yay lets to have fun training attitude. She's a ridiculously good dog.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Both of my koolies have great off-switches (well Zip Tie is struggling a bit right now with Zinga in heat, but he will lay down and settle if I tell him too). I was sure to reinforce it right away though, as with any other high energy breed.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm All Ears

How muh exercise/work do your dogs need and get? Mine do gt quite a bit but every day is not packed full and my guys will relax a day or two if I need to with just yard time/nosework. I try to be fair though and we do a lot of off leash hiking and are training at the facility a few times a week. Off switches are definitely appreciated.

Summer is kind of lazy though these days. She loves her sleep. When she was four though she was a lot more needy exercise wise. Nowadays she's great to go whenever but totally not demanding.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Another suggestion, which is totally different, and may not EXACTLY fit *every* single thing you asked for, and I know you're not a terrier fan, but really a Border Terrier fits most of your wants. And I feel like I say that a lot lately, but they really do fit a LOT of people's 'wants' lists it seems after I read them. And I am totally biased because I really want one, but yeah. Just thought I'd mention it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
How muh exercise/work do your dogs need and get? Mine do gt quite a bit but every day is not packed full and my guys will relax a day or two if I need to with just yard time/nosework. I try to be fair though and we do a lot of off leash hiking and are training at the facility a few times a week. Off switches are definitely appreciated.

Summer is kind of lazy though these days. She loves her sleep. When she was four though she was a lot more needy exercise wise. Nowadays she's great to go whenever but totally not demanding.
I try to do something with my dogs everyday, with one day completely off during the week.

Right now Zinga's schedule looks like this:
Monday - go to work where she sleeps the entire time under my desk (8am-6pm), short disc or trick session when we get home
Tuesday - work agility for about a half hour total, maybe a hike or a swim if I can fit it in.
Wednesday - work disc, maybe two/three sessions (5 minutes each). Hike or a swim if she didn't go on Tuesday.
Thursday - goes to work, we are there from 8am-8pm, sleeps the whole time. We do a short lunch-time hike, generally about a half hour if the weather is nice.
Friday - stays home. Disc or trick session when I get home.
Saturday/Sunday - We generally do some sort of dog thing, disc comp/meetup or she goes and hangs out at an agility trial.

I can hardly drag this girl out of bed in the morning and she is game to go to sleep anytime I want. She is pretty chill around the house even if she skips a day of activity.

Zip Tie gets less as his main job is to hang out with the husband. Tim has been pretty good about doing one or two short disc sessions most days with him, but he doesn't take him on a lot of hikes or anything.