Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Aussie Obssessed

Except for "lightly built" you described Hawkeye to a "T"
even matches the bonuses lol
Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm All Ears

So basically I need you all to clone your dogs.

I've seen a few flat coats compete and they were definitely impressive. Never met one though, really. Just in passing. That pesky cancer thing though and same with goldens really. Both breeds are on the big side too.

Collies are one that I just am unsure about. There's been one I've known that rocked and the rest were not nearly drivey enough for me. A good collie though is a very nice dog. They're also big too though, haha. It seems like most breeds that fit that description though are on the larger end of the weight limit I've set for myself.

It's interesting to get ideas though! I'll have to file them away since I'll have a while until NextNextDog. Summer's going to live forever. Yup.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Collies are one that I just am unsure about. There's been one I've known that rocked and the rest were not nearly drivey enough for me. A good collie though is a very nice dog. They're also big too though, haha. It seems like most breeds that fit that description though are on the larger end of the weight limit I've set for myself.
You would have to do some research on breeders. The two collies I used to train were very, very low drive. One of them could train for 10 minutes at a time, then lost interest and went to take a nap. Smooths as a whole typically have more drive than roughs, but it does still of course depend on breeding.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Duuuuude.

I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been mentioned, but I wanted to pop in and say that I think Brittanys have too much of a frantic energy for Laurelin. My experience is fairly limited, but a lot of the Brittanys I've met have a very restless, uncontainable sort of energy to them... it's hard to explain, but it's often too much for me to want to handle, and I'm more of a sporting dog person than Laurelin is! Rowan is not that way but he's a weird Brit. I've known a few who weren't so tightly wound up, but also a few who are. IME GSPs and Vizslas are the same way, depending on the breeding. Again I can think of a couple of each that are more "laid back" (for their breed of course) but then a bunch that are pretty balls to the wall all the time.

I just wanted to bring it up since I know in the past she's talked about the difference in herder vs sporter energy and how she generally prefers the herder type.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

With the exception of this one:
Quote:
- Extremely high biddability and desire to work with you.
I would say you need a Siri

And it's not like she's not biddable (she is!) but she has independent moments and so I wouldn't call her "extreme" in her biddability. Overall though, she loves to work and interact with me. She is also the most independent of her litter

ETA: Derp, I need to go back to school and learn how to math. I think you're looking for something a little larger than 10 pound Siri...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Herders definitely fit better in my experience but I have no idea how papillons fit into that. I quite enjoy them but they're definitely not a herding breed.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Top Dog

I don't know why I keep recommending them to everyone, I've never had one, but Standard Poodle!

I think they hit everything on your list...some can be a bit reserved but I've met plenty that were happy and friendly out and about.

It seems your list fits the Sporting group. Or, like everyone said, BC or Aussie if you are leaning towards herders.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:01 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I don't know why I keep recommending them to everyone, I've never had one, but Standard Poodle!

Because once you get over the hair cut they are AWSOME dogs.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Top Dog

You need a Hudson, or a small female version of Hudson. Hudson is small for the type of dog his breeder breeds for, some reason all of the dogs from his litter are small. The biggest is around 40 lbs at 9 months. The rest (including Hudson) are around, or a little less than, 35 lbs. I would not call Hudson high energy level, but I think a lot of that is my doing. He is game for anything I might decide to do with him. We can do long-ish hikes, take a nap, and he is ready for more

He wants to please and work with me, but he is also a bad boy dog who has to pee on all the things. He is also hard to get to focus in environments where there are lots of other people and other dogs. But, we are developing a tug drive, so I hope that, that will help. He is NOT food motivated, like at all, but he has a sister that really, REALLY likes food. Her owner was complaining that it is hard to keep her focused on training because the silly girl wants to eat the cicadas. lol.

Hudson has never met a stranger. He is kind of wary of strange men, like the plumber we just had. He really wanted to be friends, but was kind of tail down, ears down, not too sure of him. Hudson LOVES kids. Like, loves LOVES kids.

I don't know if any of Hudson's littermates are going to do agility, but one sister is going to do flyball. I'm excited to hear how she does when she is old enough to play. Hudson is a little short and stocky, like his mom, but I know that there are people who compete with their ES in agility. I watched Hudson attempt (but not really succeed) at jumping up on our rock wall that is about 4.5 feet tall. The lower sections of the wall he just flies onto.

Hudson has been exposed to as much as I possibly can expose him too (which isn't a lot) and he has never met a stranger, dog or person. He is a little rude when playing and got into a few scuffles at the dog park, but he would back down from Julee's Em when she snarked at Hudson.

So, yeah, you need an ES

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
So basically I need you all to clone your dogs.

I've seen a few flat coats compete and they were definitely impressive. Never met one though, really. Just in passing. That pesky cancer thing though and same with goldens really. Both breeds are on the big side too.

It's interesting to get ideas though! I'll have to file them away since I'll have a while until NextNextDog. Summer's going to live forever. Yup.
Yeah and honestly for some reason I'm not really sure you'd enjoy a FCR or retriever lol. But on paper a good working retriever does pretty much fit your reqs.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13