Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Pasadena isn't in California? I have revealed my incredible lack of knowledge of geography west of Lake Champlain What can I say, I don't get out much!
Yeah, apparently it was this trial: http://agilityevents.net/resources/pdfs/1305gckc.pdf , the Texas Pasadena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
I do wish the judge or someone would have spoken up, or the competitors refused to run. I wasn't there though, so maybe the video Suzanne Clothier posted on her blog was one of the first few runs on that surface?
The video that Clothier posted was the 7th run of the 16" class, according to the person in the video (see BadDogAgility podcast). And a *lot* of competitors did refuse to run and many of them raised a huge stink until the trial was reworked to allow all the dogs to run all classes on the other, turf, ring. But obviously some people ran it, even after seeing others run.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Who's been following all the footing drama? Between the trial in California on the "sport surface" and Susan Garrett's dog's tumbles at regionals, my own little circle of agility is all abuzz with pronouncements of "I will never trial outdoors", "I will never trial in the rain" and more.

Between those, a person would never be able to trial again. The sport surface was indoors, SG was outdoors... that's pretty much everywhere.

Our local trials are almost all on dirt (indoor arenas), which is varying degrees of good. Depending on how it's prepared, it can be softer or harder, pebbly, etc. Generally, I think it's a pretty safe surface for dogs, though it can be harder for humans to run on. I know people who will pull if they don't like the way the dirt is prepared, but I've never seen the need. We do still have a few that are outside on grass, and the Rose City Classic is run inside on very nice rubber mats.

I'll run on pretty much any surface, and I don't think I've ever scratched a run because of the surface. I've made different decisions based on surface, ie; the RCC used to be held on carpet, and I ran one day of it once (my 2nd actual agility trial, and I'd only entered the one day), and decided that dog shouldn't run on carpet. I went to another trial which was held on carpet a few years later, and didn't enter that dog, but I did run another dog I had, who was slower and more cautious. She did fine.

I've run in the rain, more than once, and it's not been much of a problem for my dogs. I did use to train outside, and we ran in the rain then, so my dogs were used to it. I train in a barn now, so I might be more wary of it. My dogs are fairly sure-footed, though. I've actually seen more trouble with dry grass, which tends to get really slick, and I'm not sure I'd run on it again.

When I took Tess to World Team Tryouts, which is held on artificial turf, she had some trouble with that surface. We'd practiced on turf before we went, but the turf at Tryouts was harsher, and she managed to tear her stop pads on the practice day. Not badly, but enough to be a bit tender. I know now to toughen my dog's feet if I ever go again. And not play tug on that turf. I did run her anyway, and she did alright, but I think turf is not a great surface for her. Interestingly, when we were at Purina Farms for our Nationals a couple weeks ago, their flooring was turf, and Tess still seemed a bit slippy on it. I was sure that Pirate, who is faster, would struggle, but he actually did great on it. Tess did slow down (because I was slow, not because she was slipping), and then she did alright with it.

My dogs have injured themselves in many dramatic ways, but never a real injury from agility. They've needed a chiropractic adjustment after doing something spectacularly stupid, but that would be the extent of it. I do kind of feel like their potential to get hurt in agility is so much less than what they do to themselves if I don't police them. However, if they were continually stressing themselves the same way in agility, I would choose to retrain, or not run on that surface/equipment/whatever. They're just pretty creative about finding new, rash things to do.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Well first practice after a month's break. Overall it went really well. It was also our first practice that was really hot and the girls seemed to handle the heat really well.

Summer is freaking fantastic. I don't even know.... she is so talented and getting faster and faster and faster. Easily the fastest dog in the class. Never knocks bar. Totally confident and happy. Also 5 years older than all the dogs in class. She does tend to go careening off course though lately. We really need to work on her wraps. But she is SO FUN to run and so easy to run. I love it. I really do wish we'd gotten to it while she was young. I can only dream of what training a 1 year old Summer would have been like. If I could have a dog right now, I'd want a one year old or puppy Summer. Wish that were possible....

Mia's a lot more sensitive sometimes and always has been. If something starts to go to **** with Summer she's still all 'YAYAYAYAY AGILITY!' and right back on course at the same speed like nothing happened. Mia starts to get frustrated and slow down when things go wrong. But she ran well except for her jumpers run which was last. She stopped in the middle and peed for about a minute straight. Then she reluctantly finished pretty slowly. :/ So after class I took her and did one last sequence of jumps and she ROCKED it. I have no idea what it was about the jumpers course that she just checked out on. The other runs went fabulous and Mia saved my butt on our first run of the evening about three times. I had some bad handling going on. lol My trainer even mentioned how I was so lucky I had such a good dog, haha.

Of course 'slow mia' is still faster than all the other dogs in class other than Summer so I don't know why I worry so much.

Both my dogs suck at weaving. No idea why I am so bad at training weaves. I've tried channels and 2x2s. All the other dogs are doing the weaves much better than mine but mine are way ahead on everything else. Makes me feel frustrated because save the weaves my dogs are trial ready. Grrr got to get creative on this one....

Last edited by Laurelin; 06-09-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
She stopped in the middle and peed for about a minute straight. Then she reluctantly finished pretty slowly. :/
Keep an eye on her and make sure this was just an accident and not that she has a UTI or something brewing. Auggie started slowing down and acting "off" in agility right about the same time he started giving me signs (in retrospect) of a UTI. He never peed in the middle of a run but he DID start refusing weave poles... something he'd never done before. It could just be her being sensitive, I'd just watch her!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm All Ears

She's been acting a bit weird since getting sick on thursday. She got constipated at the park and has been straining a bit to poop.

She's also been doing the butt scooting on the ground. Making me wonder if her anal glands are acting up. That might be another thread though, lol.

She had been drinking a lot between runs and didn't go pee before class at all. Not at home at the potty break or before class when I tried to potty them. Summer also peed during one of her runs but of course she kept going like nothing happened afterwards.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

No idea why I am so bad at training weaves. I've tried channels and 2x2s. All the other dogs are doing the weaves much better than mine but mine are way ahead on everything else. Makes me feel frustrated because save the weaves my dogs are trial ready. Grrr got to get creative on this one....

I almost think weaves can be harder in some ways with little dogs because there's a few extra steps in between each weave. I know Lola didn't really "get" weaves until we shaped them. Which in retrospect had it's downfalls, she still looks up at me after each weaves when she's on the right. But the glances are getting quicker and quicker, so I have no doubt that we'll have nice weaves on both sides ..eventually lol. She did them in a trial in Snooker shortly after I started shaping them and I was so surprised.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
She's been acting a bit weird since getting sick on thursday. She got constipated at the park and has been straining a bit to poop.

She's also been doing the butt scooting on the ground. Making me wonder if her anal glands are acting up. That might be another thread though, lol.

She had been drinking a lot between runs and didn't go pee before class at all. Not at home at the potty break or before class when I tried to potty them. Summer also peed during one of her runs but of course she kept going like nothing happened afterwards.
Scooting the bum and excessive drinking are also a sign of vaginitis and/or a UTI in dogs. Trim any hairs around the vulva, use a non alcohol baby wipes and clean her, put her on good probiotics (not plain yogurt, you need more than that right now) and cranberry relief powder (purchased at any holistic pet store). If she doesn't improve in a few days, she might need antibiotics.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie qualified for nationals.

=)

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Izzie qualified for nationals.

=)
CUTE! And congrats!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Scooting the bum and excessive drinking are also a sign of vaginitis and/or a UTI in dogs. Trim any hairs around the vulva, use a non alcohol baby wipes and clean her, put her on good probiotics (not plain yogurt, you need more than that right now) and cranberry relief powder (purchased at any holistic pet store). If she doesn't improve in a few days, she might need antibiotics.

Good luck
Hmmm, that might be a good thing to check out. Now that I am thinking of it when I was gone Saturday for four hours she went and peed on the potty pad, which is really unusual for her especially for such a short time. Last night I went to bed at 11:30 and at 5, Mia was crying to go outside. Also unusually short time for her to hold it.

Congrats Mandy and Izzy!