Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I will send you a mal someday.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement! Sloan was doing 12 and trialing but something fell apart with the move. Recently we found our way again but I never seem to video her work. Here is one where i am just practing my reward placement and trying to not crowd her.

Haha give me a few years, and maybe I will be ready

Sloan looks great, too! When is your next trial again??? You definitely have to get someone to tape you

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
The Monster.

The SG craziness from yesterday reminded me of something I saw on Facebook a few weeks ago. A young girl posted a photo of her young dog wearing a comfort flex harness, panting happily and surrounded by a few discs. The comments on the photo were immediately critical of her choosing to play disc with her dog while it wore that harness. The girl was defensive and the critical poster said something along the lines of, "I just have the best interests of your dog at heart".

... Really? You're posting in a public forum simply because you're worried about this stranger's dog (who you will never meet in person)? You feel more invested in this dog's safety than its owner? Are you now A Better Dog Person On The Internet?

So, bringing this back to agility and the videos that have surfaced this week, I think the handlers need to take responsibility for how they run their dogs. I think if their dogs injure themselves, it is the handler who will have to deal with rehab or perhaps never running their dog again. And despite what people seem to think, it is the handler who cares more for the dog than a random person on the internet. I trust them to make responsible decisions and to be ready to deal with the fallout of the not so responsible decisions should something unfortunate happen.

The sports flooring video was ridiculous and I have no idea how anyone thought it would be a good idea to hold a trial there. Running in the rain though? That didn't faze me.

I personally have not scratched my dog from a run before. I tend to trial indoors on turf at a really nice facility, but I'll be outdoors next weekend. I've trialed in the rain before. My dog is fast but not a speed demon and aside from a few knocked bars it's never been an issue.

I did stop taking classes at a facility with rubber matting. It was more out of frustration of it not allowing my dog to get up to speed and turn properly than out of a concern for her safety though. For the most part I trust her to be careful, and I plan to take care of her should anything bad happen. I plan to be reasonable, but not overly cautious, and I'm comfortable with that.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Denis is handling Sloan this weekend at his first trial ever (and he's sorely been lacking training time lol). It's a CPE trial so it's not a lot of pressure but it should be fun. I registered B and I may or may not run him.

I'm excited to see what she and Denis do together, she really is a fun dog to run and runs beautifully for me but she is his dog and anyone who's seen her with me and then seen her with him tells me it's a world of difference. They say its clear how much she loves him so I'm excited to see this in agility as well.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

As a side note, Oh man, that crap about the harness hurt my heart. People are really needlessly vicious. One of the attackers of that girl has tried to challenge me on Malinois before. That didn't end well, know it all found she didn't know it all and I wasn't looking for a new leader.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
A young girl posted a photo of her young dog wearing a comfort flex harness, panting happily and surrounded by a few discs. The comments on the photo were immediately critical of her choosing to play disc with her dog while it wore that harness. The girl was defensive and the critical poster said something along the lines of, "I just have the best interests of your dog at heart".
Dogs can't wear a harness to play with discs? Huh. Noted for future reference.

I've had to deal with one agility injury in myself that caused missed work and trials (obtained while running on "the best mats they make" indoors - not a fault of the mats, just "what the heck just moved in my leg that shouldn't have?") and one injury, and a subsequent re-injury in a dog (first injury done while running in the woods, reinjured while practicing on indoor dirt). I just don't see agility in the rain as being inherently more dangerous than agility indoors. Have you seen how jump bars roll on mats? There are two dogs in our region who have been seriously injured by knocking a jump bar and then stepping on it after it had rolled away from the jump. On grass it wouldn't have rolled. I think the risks are different, but both are risky. It's a sport. They are dogs, and we are asking them to be athletic and bold.

Have you listened to the podcast on the footing in that indoor space? Apparently the shine was some sort of non-slip coating, which according to people actually worked for the humans. Obviously did not work for the dogs. I have to say that Susanne Clothier's comments and reactions (in the podcast as much as her blog), between this and the whole "teaching a dog to hump on cue" fiasco, shocked and disappointed me. Pretty much my entire knowledge of her is based off that fantastic "But he just wants to say hi!" article, so I had kind of liked her in a uneducated way.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Who's been following all the footing drama? Between the trial in California on the "sport surface" and Susan Garrett's dog's tumbles at regionals, my own little circle of agility is all abuzz with pronouncements of "I will never trial outdoors", "I will never trial in the rain" and more.

Where do you fall? Do you run only indoors? Only outdoors? Does it vary by the dog or weather? Have you ever scratched because you considered the conditions unsafe? Did you get/expect money back?
For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure that "sport surface" trial was in Texas. Pasadena, IIRC.

We don't have much in the way of outdoor trials here. It's trial indoors or don't trial at all. I prefer well groomed dirt first, good astroturf next, and good matting third. I won't run on bad matting and bad astroturf. If I run into it unexpectedly I will either scratch or attempt to compensate with conservative handling and sticky paw stuff for traction, which has seemed to help. But if I know about it I just don't even enter. Good grass is my favorite surface but while we practice on it at home, we don't get to trial on it, ever. Which is unfortunate. Also makes the "scratch due to weather" question moot for us, though.

And what Webster can run safely on vs. what Mira can run safely on are two different things.

I've never expected a refund for scratching my dog for poor surface. I've never been on a surface so incredibly bad that I felt such a demand was warranted. It was my call, and mine alone. If I were ever at a place with flooring as bad as that Pasadena trial though...yeah I would raise hell. That's just insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I say you train your dog the best you can, you teach them footing, you teach them collection, you teach them impulse, and you pray for the best.
Yep. And you keep your eyes peeled and keep them appropriately fit and give them time off when they need it. Be responsible.

The worst injury we've ever had, by far, was on a clear sunny day, moderate temperature, excellent grass turf, when MacNut ran full tilt into a concrete block as I sat on the grass quietly 50 feet away.

The second-worst injury when also on a clear sunny day on perfect footing when Kim decided to head off Mira, realized she wasn't going to stop, jumped over Mira instead, and landed funny. That was when I struck her from agility 13 months ago and put her through PT to give her time and opportunity to heal. And in the meantime, her spot on the agility roster was usurped by the Webby-man, so she's hasn't been back. Yet.

Agility gods be good, we haven't had an agility injury yet. Innocuous recreational time seems to be what gets us.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that "sport surface" trial was in Texas. Pasadena, IIRC.
Pasadena isn't in California? I have revealed my incredible lack of knowledge of geography west of Lake Champlain What can I say, I don't get out much!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Pasadena isn't in California? I have revealed my incredible lack of knowledge of geography west of Lake Champlain What can I say, I don't get out much!
I'm pretty sure there is a Pasadena in CA too...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
There is a Pasadena, TX. It's on the outskirts of Houston and Galveston (kinda inbetween the two). After I saw the comments in this thread I saw the video of the run. I have to say, it was pretty bad. To my knowledge, this was the first trial ever held at this place, and I'm sure they moved to draw more entries with an air conditioned, indoor facility. I bet they won't do that again.

I do wish the judge or someone would have spoken up, or the competitors refused to run. I wasn't there though, so maybe the video Suzanne Clothier posted on her blog was one of the first few runs on that surface?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

I am fortunate to have a dog with really good self preservation. She runs like the dickens when it's straight, but when going into turns or curved tunnels or what have you, she's really good about slowing down just enough (when I cue her early!) or choosing to go wide on turns instead of slip and slide (when I cue late).

As a result, we've never had an issue on surfaces that people often complain about. We train on rubber matting, so maybe she's learned from day one how to control herself just a bit better? There's a small facility that does NADAC games trials in the winter on the rubber matting, and the border collie people won't enter because their dogs slide into walls. Lucy's just as speedy when she wants to be, but she controls herself nicely in that facility (helps that it's solid cinderblock walls around the ring, so she's not tempted to run into them...) There's also an astroturf indoor soccer field we're running at next weekend that people aren't huge fans of, but Lucy has historically done well there.

You have to know your dog. I would not run her in the rain because we had huge dog walk issues when she ran over an unstable one at a bad training facility (gah!), and I would not want to risk her doing that again. I'd do tunnels and jumps in the rain no problem, but I don't want her falling or slipping on contacts. Other people might not have that concern with their dogs' running styles.