Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Scent work- search style.

Summer was hilarious this week at nosework. I'd restrain her and shed be pulling like mad to go then when I'd release her she would sprint out and do a lap around the room (interior search). At first I thought she was doing zoomies because she was so excited. But hen my trainer and I were observing and she seems to be doing on quick lap around he room to canvas out everything. She seems to find the odor in the initial sweep then she comes back in and starts getting really methodical about things.

Mia's vey different in that she comes out the gate and picks up the scent right out of the gate really.

Have you noticed any different search patterns/methods with your dogs.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Rider is very slow and precise about his searches. He just slowly moves about the room smelling all the objects in the middle, and then moving to the perimeter. If he can't find it, he will go back through. Vehicle searches are a tad faster, and outdoor searches are still pretty all over the place.

We are currently taking a break as we were starting to struggle with drive again, so we are doing a ton of focus work outside again and I'm hoping that will let him have the same methodical search style out there.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Never done any formal work with bodhi, but she is amazing. She does wide sweeping circles outdoors, and covers a huge area, till she narrows it down. She is also able to follow commands. Eg, I took her to the river and threw her ball the other bank. She swam over and went hunting for it. It's long grass and tree roots. I can ask her to wait, go steady, and point left and right and she will look at me. She can get caught up though and just goes backwards and forwards.

Indoors she tends to be quite methodical, but if she gets nothing she will just go back and forth to the same spots till I give her a direction, or hint.

Fred is just learning, and tracking will be part of what he learns. He is MAD for sniffing, so will be interesting to see what he does. At the moment he is way too easily distracted, so hunts got for something for all of 2 seconds before being led off by something else.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein