Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Big Dog

I think maybe a bench labrador might fit your requirements. IE a lab meant for show, not work.

They're bulky, black and they can be amazing watch dogs.

They're not guardy per se, but you won't have to worry as much about who they're going to get a long with.

Newfies are another suggestion except for THE HAIR.

Both breeds are actually incredibly sweet dogs, and sometimes just having a bigger dog is enough to deter someone from wanting to break in.

Probably not what you were wanting to hear and I acknowledge that, but just thought I'd give some out-ofo-the-box suggestions for you.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
I like what I've read about Rottweilers. Do you think they need a more physical owner, though?
I'm a pretty small woman (120 lbs) and I worked with two really, really intense rotties. They were brothers, and I often handled and walked them both at the same time. If I walked them through manhattan at all, they were on prong collars, and they were essentially "good" dogs, but they were boisterous and full of energy and it was never an easy, leisurely walk.

They are a lot of dog, but probably not much more than a doberman, and it sounds like you're more than willing to do your research, find the "right" dog, and learn how to train it, and I don't think there would be any reason you couldn't physically handle a Rottweiler unless you have some physical handicap that would affect you handling any large dog.

Also, have you considered a beauceron?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
I think maybe a bench labrador might fit your requirements. IE a lab meant for show, not work.

They're bulky, black and they can be amazing watch dogs.

They're not guardy per se, but you won't have to worry as much about who they're going to get a long with.

Newfies are another suggestion except for THE HAIR.
Thank you for the suggestions. Don't think either of the dogs are what I'm after, but appreciate you chiming in nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I'm a pretty small woman (120 lbs) and I worked with two really, really intense rotties. They were brothers, and I often handled and walked them both at the same time. If I walked them through manhattan at all, they were on prong collars, and they were essentially "good" dogs, but they were boisterous and full of energy and it was never an easy, leisurely walk.
Exactly the type of information I was looking for, thanks. Rottweilers are a definite contender now, up there with Dobermans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Also, have you considered a beauceron
I haven't, but they look interesting. Are they follow-you-from-room-to-room dogs, like Dobermans? What's your experience with them?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

I've actually never met a beauceron, but from what I hear, they have a temperament similar to a GSD. A few members on here have them, so hopefully they'll chime in.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 PM
BRT - "the black watch"

I hesitated to mention this as, although I've read quite a bit about them over the years, and have corresponded with a number of owners, I've yet to meet one, in 'person' ...

Nevertheless, if you're comfortable with the idea of (for example) a Rottie, and would consider something more rare (and healthier), the Hovawart may be worth a look.
http://www.hovawartclub.org/abouthovawart.html

If it weren't for the shedding (allergies), this would definitely have been a real consideration for us.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Lord Cynical

I actually think a Doberman sounds about right.

These have been mentioned before, but I'll mention them again to make sure you're aware, and are OK with owning a dog who...
- might develop expensive health issues
- is probably not a good dog-park dog, especially if you get a male
- will cost $1800-$2000 for pet quality
- will have cropped ears (I only know one responsible breeder - that isn't a working breeder - that will consider leaving ears natural. And you do not want to get a dobe from a working breeder just based on ears... trust me!)

I've owned several over the years. They're fantastic dogs, in the right hands.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I actually think a Doberman sounds about right.

- will have cropped ears (I only know one responsible breeder - that isn't a working breeder - that will consider leaving ears natural. And you do not want to get a dobe from a working breeder just based on ears... trust me!)

I've owned several over the years. They're fantastic dogs, in the right hands.
I agree on the Dobe, but the OP is in the UK, the dog won't have cropped ears.

And it is possible to get an uncropped dog from a responsible breeder in the US, it would just be more of a small-time breeder. Here's one:

(the cropped dog in the photo is from a different breeder, and had issues. Yes, his legs are way too short.)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I agree on the Dobe, but the OP is in the UK, the dog won't have cropped ears.

And it is possible to get an uncropped dog from a responsible breeder in the US, it would just be more of a small-time breeder. Here's one:

(the cropped dog in the photo is from a different breeder, and had issues. Yes, his legs are way too short.)
Oh derp, didn't notice the OP was in the UK! My bad!

May I ask who the breeder of the natural eared dog is? PM is fine. (It's very, very, very uncommon to find a breeder that is doing everything right - that isn't a working breeder - that leaves puppies natural. It's always nice to be able to add more breeders to my extremely short list that leave puppies natural.)

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Active Pup

Firstly, thank you to everyone who offered their suggestions.

After a discussion with my other half, we've decided it isn't currently feasible to purchase a Dobermann. Because of the health concerns, we'd have to buy from a reputable breeder, and that's simply too costly right now (which is a shame because they sounded like the right fit).

We'd still like a dog with the same requirements as mentioned in my original post, only without the hefty price tag.

We're considering rescuing, or simply buying a less expensive dog (a breed less prone to disease). Again, I welcome any suggestions (in regards to breeds, or what to look for in the rescuing process, etc).

Thanks guys.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Active Pup

Firstly, thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions. I spent a lot of time researching dog breeds that wouldn't have otherwise crossed my mind.

I thought, for a moment, that the Doberman was the right choice for me and my partner, as the breed seemed to encompass all of the traits listed in my original post. However...

... After much debate, we came to the unfortunate conclusion, because of the hefty price tag they carry, that purchasing a Doberman simply wasn't feasible for us right now.

We still would like a dog, preferably one that fits the description I gave, only one that we can actually afford (sounds awful writing it like that, because I know that well-bred Dobermans are expensive because of the extensive health checks they're put through).

We're looking at potentially rescuing a Doberman, so any advice about that process would be greatly appreciated. If we don't go down that route, we'll be researching breeds that aren't prone to as many diseases, so suggestions are encouraged!

Thanks guys.