Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Agreed romy, I have met "exceptions" to those rules before & it is a shame how they are treated not by other races but by their own races simply because they don't fit the stereotype, it's sad
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

I've met far too many people who are the opposite of "their" stereotypes to really believe in stereotypes anymore...

I admit that is one thing I used to do, some good some negative...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Taxiderpy

It is something we all do, not consciously but we do it. I'm going to quote a review and then put a spoiler from the book I mentioned that explains it better so if you ever plan to read it, don't highlight this post.

Quote:
In Winter, or Gethen, Ursula K. Le Guin has created a fully realized planet and people. But Gethen society is more than merely a fascinating creation. The concept of a society existing totally without sexual prejudices is even more relevant today than it was in 1969. This special 25th anniversary edition of The Left Hand of Darkness contains not only the complete, unaltered text of the landmark original but also a thought-provoking new afterword and four new appendixes by Ms. Le Guin.

When the human ambassador Genly Ai is sent to Gethen, the planet known as Winter by those outsiders who have experienced its arctic climate, he thinks that his mission will be a standard one of making peace between warring factions. Instead the ambassador finds himself wildly unprepared. For Gethen is inhabited by a society with a rich, ancient culture full of strange beauty and deadly intrigue—a society of people who are both male and female in one, and neither. This lack of fixed gender, and the resulting lack of gender-based discrimination, is the very cornerstone of Gethen life. But Genly is all too human. Unless he can overcome his ingrained prejudices about the significance of "male" and "female," he may destroy both his mission and himself.
So, that was well and good, and fascinating to read. I was sympathetic to Genly, because really he was a nice guy, he didn't hold any bad prejudices about either gender, and he was trying so hard not to apply his ideas of gender to the people around him.

Then halfway through the book, one of their leaders asks him, "Are all humans are dark as you are?"

It was a punch in the gut, and that's the moment I realized that the book wasn't about sexism, or gay rights, or anything else to do with gender.

It's written in first person. Genly Ai never stood in front of a mirror and described himself to the reader. He never glanced at his arm and thought, I am very dark brown today, just like so many other characters in other works never mentioned that they have white skin. It's assumed, I assumed, that whenever a character is not described in detail they default to white.

And it made me feel like an idiot. It's a perfect example of white privilege if you're ever looking for one.

And her rant at Sci Fi for whitewashing the Earthsea miniseries based off her books.
A Whitewashed Earthsea

There's also a link to theses blog posts, which are REALLY good. Some are compiled letters and responses from readers of her Earthsea series. Some of the letters are heartbreaking.
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Index-E...iniseries.html