Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

My grooming shop doesn't have a receptionist. Whomever is closest just walks out front to pick up incoming dogs. Drop off hours are only from 7-9 am, and pick up is generally only after 3 though, so for almost 6 hours there are very few interruptions.

I agree with the idea of hiring an extra set of hands, but not giving the person the title of receptionist. Can they be the sweeper, the greeter, the bather, the phone person, etc? And yes, I would think they would absolutely get part of the commission, if they're making your jobs easier.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Was BackwardCinderella

Thanks everyone! I spoke to her this afternoon and it looks like it might be happening.
This salon is an insanely busy place. Friday I clocked the time I spent on the phone / doing intakes and go homes... It was almost two hours, and I want even the one answering the phones most. If a receptionist were there to do the work I personally could fit in at least one more dog, possibly two.
We have a bather, she refuses to answer the phones unless she absolutely has to, she's always late, just not dependable. There may be a staffing change in that area soon as well, we'll see what happens.

The owner of the salon said that I had a way of explaining things without making her feel like I was telling her what to do, but also made her think. I'm really enjoying this job, can't wait to get in tomorrow!

I also pitched a military / senior discount, and a yearly plan for clients which she jumped on. Pretty stoked to be listened to. The other girls had me worried that she was more unreasonable than I had originally thought, which isn't the case. Things just hadn't been explained to her in a way that made sense in her mind.

http://doofydogblog.blogspot.com/
In which creeper dogs, products and nonsense are discussed.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad it's working out for you!

That said, no, I don't think grooming salons generally need receptionists. I worked at a busy salon as a bather/assistant, and IMO it sounds like that's more along the lines of what you need than a receptionist. If you have a bather who is not doing her job, then you need to find another bather, not add on a new position and a new employee.

As a bather, not only did I handle the dogs who were "just" there for a bath, but I freed up the groomers by bathing their dogs, too. Groomers generally ONLY clipped their dogs, the bathers did everything else - nails, teeth, ears, baths, etc. As well as making appointments and handling customers.

Personally, if I were taking my dog to a groomer, I'd want to talk to the person who was going to be working on him; when I picked him up I'd want to talk to the person who HAD worked on him. I would not be satisfied talking to the receptionist.

A few times I've had to drop my cats off at the vet. Once when I picked my cat up, the doctor was in surgery so he couldn't talk to me about the exam. While the receptionist was helpful in explaining what was going on, I personally felt cheated, that I'd paid this professional quite a bit to treat my cat, and he couldn't even talk to me about what was the problem.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I get my hair cut at hair salons that are walk-ins and they don't have a receptionist. The stylists will stop cutting hair to answer the phone, greet people when they walk in, et cetera. That's how it has been for probably five or six years now. I wouldn't be totally shocked at a grooming salon that worked the same way.
But a human can be told "I'll be right back, I'm going to answer the phone. Stay right here." A dog can't. They have to be left alone somewhere safe. So ideally, crating them. Or, as I imagine, they may get left on the grooming table when someone is in a hurry, and then they can jump off and get strangled or seriously injured. I see a whole host of issues with dog safety if people are stressed and in a hurry.