Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Mollie ate a corncob

My 3-year-old Lab was hanging around the kitchen like she always is yesterday evening and we were cutting corn and throwing the cobs in the trash, which we had removed from underneath the cabinet where it usually is. Completely absorbed in conversation, wondering about houses, schools, whatever, when...crunch crunch crunch. Looked at Mollie and she was eating corncobs!
Her BFF dog next door once ate a corncob and it got lodged in his intestines, so we're rather worried about Mollie. However, he swallowed the cob whole and she was chewing the cobs up thoroughly. (We looked in her mouth and dug out the bits that were left.) She also eats raw, so her stomach enzymes are very active. Do you think she will be all right? Of course if we notice her in any bad condition we will immediately take her to the vet, but I just want to know what to expect.
So far, it's been almost 24 hours and she is acting completely normal. I was told by someone else that we would know if it was hurting her in the next 24-48 hours. I'm keeping a good eye out for symptoms.
Thanks so much for your help!
-LabLover95

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3
Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Maddie ate a corncob once. Or twice and she's fine . . .

Keep a close eye one her!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 05-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Keep an eye on her for sure. Likely she will be just fine but I would definitely watch to make sure she doesn't seem to be having any issues pooping or eating. If she does it again I would recommend inducing vomiting. I believe a few of the vets/techs here have mentioned having to get into dogs and finding undigested corn cobs... that the dog ate years beforehand. yeuck.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Puppy Dog

She had a rather soft stool this evening. I'm keeping an eye on her. She was just fine this morning and is still running, jumping, eating, etc. If she's still got loose stools tomorrow I'm taking her in.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Puppy Dog

All right...she continued to have soft stools for another day, but no vomiting or anything. We waited another day and today she had 2 poops - one slightly soft, but not nearly as bad as before, and one completely normal. I'm so glad. She seems to be doing just great; but I will continue to monitor her for another week or so.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi did this.

Then threw it up (or pooped it out... If forget now! Sure it was sick though), MONTHS and MONTHS later. It was green and slimy.

Be careful. We are lucky it didn't get infected or something, I'd assumed it had gone through her!

We are super vigilant with them now!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

A friend's dog ate one, by the time they noticed anything was wrong, the dog had to be put down.

IF mine at one, honestly, since I can be paranoid , I would be taking an xray.
Hope she is ok.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi,
Thank you everyone for your concern. We actually noticed bits of chewed-up corncob in her poop, and I think that that's all she ate. I do think that she had a partial blockage for a few days, because she was having diarrhea, but now she is right back to very firm poops. One thing...she seems to be slightly constipated; do you think it's just the corn or is that a sign of impaction? BTW, she is bursting with energy and jumping in circles for her food, .

Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Bodhi did this.

Then threw it up (or pooped it out... If forget now! Sure it was sick though), MONTHS and MONTHS later. It was green and slimy.

Be careful. We are lucky it didn't get infected or something, I'd assumed it had gone through her!

We are super vigilant with them now!
Yesss, Boomer threw up a corn cob once, like two weeks after he got it .

Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Puppy Dog

The slight constipation has gone away and she is completely normal. My crazy little girl...she must have the 9 lives of a cat. She once ate a pound of unsweetened chocolate, once got hit in the eye with a tennis ball and couldn't see for a few weeks, once burst her rectum, once...etc. I've only got a few lives left LOL.