Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Some vets here will do neuters for under $200, but there's no blood work, no monitoring, injectable anesthetics instead of gas (so no intubation), no IV fluids, and often no pre-operative, intra-operative, or post-operative pain meds.
That's how we do cat neuters (only we do a PCV/TP and do give a pain injection upon recovery). I think that totals out to being between $100-200.
We typically don't give our dog neuters fluids, but they do get bloodwork, intubated, monitored, pain meds, etc. I think a cost for a dog neuter is around $200, depending on the size of the dog.

Spays here are upper $200-300, depending on the size. They get everything a neuter gets, plus fluids.

The "low cost" places around here do cat neuters/spays for $20/$40, and dog neuters/spays for $90/$120.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
I like to leave my dogs intact till at least 18 months, then alter females. My males stay intact. Personal preference, I've read the chances of something happening health wise and while I see a risk in keeping females intact, I just don't see that risk with males. I've never had a male mark or run off after a bitch in heat, no humping. And even if I did, those are training issues imho.
To me this whole idea is kind of strange... people say that spaying/neutering CAUSES bad behavior changes but then doesn't cause good ones?

We've had a lot of intact dogs over the years. All but one has been fine when it comes to marking and humping. Beau on the other hand... was not fine. He humped and marked EVERYTHING no matter what we did and finally neutering him at 6 did decrease his desire to hump and mark everything. Not entirely but significantly decreased it to a rate that was livable and workable. So I definitely think that if you have a dog that has some severe issues with humping and marking then neutering might be a good option. I've talked to other people that have had similar experiences. I do think there are some (not all) male dogs that have a much much higher propensity to inappropriately mark and hump. Nard is still intact and he's fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
To me this whole idea is kind of strange... people say that spaying/neutering CAUSES bad behavior changes but then doesn't cause good ones?
Yup. Cooper was intact when we got him (at two years), and he had a marking problem. Neutered him = no more marking problem.

My sister's dog, Wayne, obsessively humps every dog he meets. He starts off social, then I see a switch flip in his brain, and it is just like he is acting purely on instinct. I'm hoping neutering him will stop this problem as well.

I've also fostered three adult intact male dogs, and none of them had marking/humping issue.

Future-Puppy will be left intact unless he develops a behavior problem due to it. Then he'll be neutered.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I have seen neutering improve persistent marking and humping problems in adult dogs.

However, I cringe when I hear the "I won't do it unless he blah blah blah" about puppies because so, so, SO many boys go through phases during adolescent when they experiment with marking the house, act like douchebags with other males, and mount compulsively, but like human teenagers they grow out of it. Neutering can reduce those behaviors but so often, so does time and consistent training.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 PM
orange iguanas.

We had someone come in last week with some sort of yorkie mix puppy. 10 weeks old. The owner wants to neuter him NOW. Because the "breeder" said she should do it before he's 16 weeks old. And the owner wants to do it early so that the dog NEVER lifts his leg. NEVER.

Thankfully the vet was like, uh no, I am not neutering your 10 week old, 2 pound puppy.

I don't really care when/if/how people spay/neuter their dogs, I just wish people were more informed about their decisions. This goes for BOTH people who choose to have it done on 6 month old puppies, and people who choose to wait. More often than not they're only coming to these decisions simply because someone else told them to do it that way.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

We worked with a yorkie breeder who neutered ALL of her boy puppies before they went home (so right around 12 weeks if I remember correctly). She said it drastically reduce the amount of returns she got. I don't really have an opinion on it I guess.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
We worked with a yorkie breeder who neutered ALL of her boy puppies before they went home (so right around 12 weeks if I remember correctly). She said it drastically reduce the amount of returns she got. I don't really have an opinion on it I guess.
Yeah I've heard of that before in small dogs specifically. I guess because they tend to be pretty persistent markers?

I don't know nothin' about it except that personally I'd do belly bands for like 3 years before neutering at 16 weeks, LOL, but honestly, I could see doing it for pet owners. No point in waiting to neuter for health reasons if no one wants to keep the dog, lol.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I just wish people were more informed about their decisions. This goes for BOTH people who choose to have it done on 6 month old puppies, and people who choose to wait. More often than not they're only coming to these decisions simply because someone else told them to do it that way.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Top Dog

Soldier isn't neutered and he is the only male in the house that will very occasionally mark, and usually only when the little dog goes into heat. I have a belly band for him now, it works fine.

(And the little dog is in a split heat right now... )

Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

We've had a lot of intact dogs over the years. All but one has been fine when it comes to marking and humping. Beau on the other hand... was not fine. He humped and marked EVERYTHING no matter what we did and finally neutering him at 6 did decrease his desire to hump and mark everything. Not entirely but significantly decreased it to a rate that was livable and workable. So I definitely think that if you have a dog that has some severe issues with humping and marking then neutering might be a good option. I've talked to other people that have had similar experiences. I do think there are some (not all) male dogs that have a much much higher propensity to inappropriately mark and hump. Nard is still intact and he's fine.
Bear never humped or marked anything (in the house, anything outside was fair game lol) & he wasn't neutered til about 6 years of age, he need roamed or tried to escape, even when we lived in the city. Buddy I believe was neutered late when he came to rescue & he does hump other dogs during play & also scratches/marks (outside only but will mark inside if I don't watch him)