Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
So have you come with any conclusion on this? I really think it's such a cool idea and Zinga is just crazy enough for it.

One day when I grow up I want to be as good of trainer as you
You are already as good of a trainer.

Yes, we are going for it. I've talked to quite a few people that have been successful in the disc community and they all are very excited to see it in a routine. I'll probably do that as my opening because she doesn't have a footstall from an outthrow yet like Zuma does. I hate footstalls in freestyle routines where the person has to stop the dog before they jump up, just breaks down the flow.

So it's a go. And I'm super excited to add the disc in.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

I've loved watching everyone's videos! I'm new to this so I don't really have any input other than they all look great. It's really cool seeing the progress in all the videos.

The stalls look super tricky and fun. I'm still not sure if I'll get there with Yarrow and a back stall, but we'll see!

And SaraB I think that's so awesome that you're going for the flip off a foot stall!! I love it.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Twin 2

Here's a question for Sara and Dex, how often would you work on the stalls?

I tend to do short sessions (one or two minutes) but I also like to do a lot during the day, especially when I get going. So I end up doing 1-2 minutes 5-6 times a day. Is that too many?

ETA: Wanted to add that I've gone back to having them step on my feet from the bed. Mainly to build the strength in both of us without the shock of the mounting. This way we can all just become comfortable with them up there but they understand the point of getting on my feet from the previous work.

Especially Traveler since I really have a hard time supporting his weight, I wish he would lay down like Cohen.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
You are already as good of a trainer.

Yes, we are going for it. I've talked to quite a few people that have been successful in the disc community and they all are very excited to see it in a routine. I'll probably do that as my opening because she doesn't have a footstall from an outthrow yet like Zuma does. I hate footstalls in freestyle routines where the person has to stop the dog before they jump up, just breaks down the flow.

So it's a go. And I'm super excited to add the disc in.
That's interesting, I was planning on asking how you might incorporate a foot stall into a routine since I think it'd look awkward at best and embarrassing at worst trying to get down into position during a routine. Starting with a stall/beg or stand may be a viable idea, but I'd love to see some videos (or just describe) about how the move can be incorporated into a routine.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
The Monster.

Quote:

I tend to do short sessions (one or two minutes) but I also like to do a lot during the day, especially when I get going. So I end up doing 1-2 minutes 5-6 times a day. Is that too many?

ETA: Wanted to add that I've gone back to having them step on my feet from the bed. Mainly to build the strength in both of us without the shock of the mounting. This way we can all just become comfortable with them up there but they understand the point of getting on my feet from the previous work.

Especially Traveler since I really have a hard time supporting his weight, I wish he would lay down like Cohen.
I know you didn't ask me, but I would probably do 1-2 minute sessions ~4 times a day. There are other things to work on which require different muscle groups if you're in a hardcore training mood that day.

I know with my back stall, once Cohen got a bit more proficient at it I was able to cue position changes (sit, stand, down). Cohen is still pretty unsure of her balance when I ask for a beg, so she pops up and down a lot. My end goal is a beg on my feet too, but it'll probably take a good long time to build it.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I tend to do footstalls maybe once or twice a day, but not every day. Just for a couple minutes each session.

I think that's a good idea to go back to building your strength as well. Even once your dog has learned to balance, they still move around quite a bit and you still have to have the strength to maintain your leg position when they are adjusting their position. If you watch any videos of Zuma's footstall, very rarely does she land and stay completely still. There is a lot of weight shifting going on that makes or breaks the footstall depending on if I can compensate for it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
That's interesting, I was planning on asking how you might incorporate a foot stall into a routine since I think it'd look awkward at best and embarrassing at worst trying to get down into position during a routine. Starting with a stall/beg or stand may be a viable idea, but I'd love to see some videos (or just describe) about how the move can be incorporated into a routine.
I'll video Zuma's footstall sequence when I get a chance. Basically I do a sequence where I'm on the ground already, throw and outthrow so I have time to get into position and everyone is watching her, and then ask for it when she's returning to me.

I can say though that our first couple of routines, she botched it and it was incredibly awkward because we had 3 failed footstalls before I gave up.

We've worked a ton on collection and the loading part of it now, and she will stick the landing 9 out of 10 times from a run.

Here's a video of Angela and Rally, they start with a footstall:
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Behavior Nerd

I think my dogs are building muscle faster than me - I'm rather sore in one shoulder today and yet Snipe is no worse for wear!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

It was awesome seeing these videos! I only read the first few and last few pages, but it's definitely something I want to try with Sir and Recon. Recon is way too young to have enough awarenes to try anything like it and he is too clumsy.. so maybe in another 6 months, but Sir is going to start tonight or tomorrow!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri knows a dog catch, and we learned a back stall (bailing onto a couch) this morning. Video tonight when I have a cameraman.

I am LOVING all of these videos!!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM
such sights to show you

I'm not going to video every single step, but I've gotten Maisy to the point where she is starting to hop her front paws onto my shoulders with a hand cue.

She still streeeeeettches her whole body and pretty much lays down on my back but I think she's getting the idea that I want her back feet up there, too. I'm slowly inching my own starting position away from the couch to make it physically more necessary for her to get her whole body up to follow the lure, so we'll see.

I think this won't be finished before the next trick starts but I'll keep working on it because who doesn't want a Maisy standing on their back? LOL.