Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
love the fluff

Premade comes in 1lb chubs, or sometimes packaged in 1 or 2lb bags I believe. I think they com in 5lb chubs as well. I feed prey model, which could be a little difficult with travelling maybe, but I know some people who travel regular and use premade raw on the road. If I was to travel, thats what I would use, the premade patties or something.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Owned by Belgians

I often throw raw meat into my dogs kibble, but I don't feed raw meaty bones with kibble. I worry about the bones not having enough access to the stomach acid to digest properly with the kibble competition.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
I often throw raw meat into my dogs kibble, but I don't feed raw meaty bones with kibble. I worry about the bones not having enough access to the stomach acid to digest properly with the kibble competition.
The bones would have as much access to the stomach acid as the rest of the food, it's just that the two digest at different rates so it's harder on the system as a whole. It's best to feed one or the other.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

I've mixed raw and kibble together before. Sometimes the dogs are fine, other times the Dobermans get a bit gassy (but are otherwise fine), so now I generally feed kibble and raw separately and that works better for us.

For my raw fed dogs though, I don't worry if I have to give them kibble for travelling or something. They don't get it every day to keep their systems used to it, but sometimes I give them kibble in the middle of the week just because. Or canned. Or freeze dried/dehydrated. Dance and Journey get a bit of everything and have no troubles switching from one type of food to another. They eat raw 99% of the time, but I like to make sure they're used to other types of food because inevitably I will go on a holiday someday or to a dog show/trial/tournament and it'll be easier to feed them something besides raw. And even my mostly kibble fed dogs get a raw meal a few times per week. I've found that by switching things up like this over the last little while has somehow strengthened their digestive systems and they easily switch from one type of food to another and so forth, whereas I used to have major issues switching foods on them. Maybe it's just coincidence though, who knows.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Thanks for all the input!

Food for thought. Ha!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Snow Girl

If youre at all worried about feeding them together just soak the kibble for at least an hr. This is what most mushers do when feeding kibble and raw together. This also helps with digestion so they arent running with kibble still in the stomach. Ever seen a dog puke 5+ hrs after eating kibble? Often there is still quite a bit of whole kibble chunks. We want the food in the intestines getting absorbed for energy, not in the stomach still getting broke down!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Puppy Dog

I've heard that you shouldn't mix from our trainer and dog health nutritionist (we feed raw to our dog), but I'm not sure about it. She said to wait 24 hours for their stomachs to digest before offering a different type. But she did tend to go overboard on some things...I would do raw in the morning (or kibble) and kibble in the evening (or raw). Good luck!

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3
Old 05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Just try me..

I have heard this so often but am not convinced of its veracity.

Just because something is man made doesn't make it easier or harder to digest. Bones are not easy to digest, yet dogs do it with ease.

Understanding the basics of metabolism (degree in biochem) it makes no sense to me that kibble would take longer than bone.

I do like the idea of soaking kibble, but then I always like the idea of soaking kibble.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Well they've been raw nearly 3 months now, and they don't get kibble.

But they do get various treats and we still feed the left over biscuits as treats too (we had tons left). Fred's stomach doesn't like grains I don't think, he's poo gets soft (it was always soft since a pup on biscuits if you recall).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein