Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is online now
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I will probably always have a spayed or neutered dog because i will always have at least one rescue or shelter dog at some point or another who will always have the procedure done before they come to me.

But as far as my own dogs, I might wait longer to sterilize, but as long as that remains the cheaper option, that is what I will do.

FWIW for me, who isn't rolling in money, the cheaper option IS the bet for the dogs because I don't want an emergency to catch me short of money because I decided to do the OSS procedure on my female or give my male a vasectomy instead of spay/neuter.

Imagine also how high adoption fees would be if shelters & rescue groups were forced to do OSS/vasectomies instead of the cheaper spay/neuter bdcsuse a few people think that spay/neutering is inhumane or wrong?

Think of me what you like but I will stick with spay/ neutering.
Have to agree.

Unrelated, I hate the sudden emergence of spay snobbery.

Like I've said before here, and I will maintain saying..... As far as I'm concerned spaying, neutering will always be promoted, because average joe don't give a **** about alternatives.

If someone cares, they will look. If they're interested then point them in the right directions. If they just own a dog, then just spay it.
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

New technology will always lend itself to snobbery. I don't see a reason for alternative altering at this point, I also choose to keep my dogs intact well into adulthood and then probably alter in a traditional way. Maybe my mind will change with time and exposure.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
Nuke it from orbit ...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Have to agree.

Unrelated, I hate the sudden emergence of spay snobbery.

Like I've said before here, and I will maintain saying..... As far as I'm concerned spaying, neutering will always be promoted, because average joe don't give a **** about alternatives.

If someone cares, they will look. If they're interested then point them in the right directions. If they just own a dog, then just spay it.
Agreed, I have been a victim of spay/neuter snobbery. I mean hey ... If people BOTHERED bothered to ask, my dogs CAME altered, I did not have any control over it.

Even with the emergence of OSS/vasectomies for dogs, I believe that rescues / shelters will always opt to spay/neuter not only because it will prolly always remain cheaper, but it is the only really surefire method to ensure the dog will not be capable of breeding. With legation/vasectomies there is always that small chance the tissues could regenerate (as they can in humans) no matter how small & I don't think that chance, although small is one shelters or rescues would be willing to take.
__________________
If there are any typos, it means I am on my phone LOL



Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM
CrazyDogLady's Avatar
CrazyDogLady CrazyDogLady is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 126
Default

I like to leave my dogs intact till at least 18 months, then alter females. My males stay intact. Personal preference, I've read the chances of something happening health wise and while I see a risk in keeping females intact, I just don't see that risk with males. I've never had a male mark or run off after a bitch in heat, no humping. And even if I did, those are training issues imho.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Agreed, I have been a victim of spay/neuter snobbery. I mean hey ... If people BOTHERED bothered to ask, my dogs CAME altered, I did not have any control over it.

Even with the emergence of OSS/vasectomies for dogs, I believe that rescues / shelters will always opt to spay/neuter not only because it will prolly always remain cheaper, but it is the only really surefire method to ensure the dog will not be capable of breeding. With legation/vasectomies there is always that small chance the tissues could regenerate (as they can in humans) no matter how small & I don't think that chance, although small is one shelters or rescues would be willing to take.
As was already replied to you...

Shelters ARE doing it. There's not THAT much of a price difference. Youre talking aa though theres hundreds of dollars of difference. Especially for shelters, where they have their own vet on staff, where they don't depend on other vets pricing.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
Nuke it from orbit ...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
I like to leave my dogs intact till at least 18 months, then alter females. My males stay intact. Personal preference, I've read the chances of something happening health wise and while I see a risk in keeping females intact, I just don't see that risk with males. I've never had a male mark or run off after a bitch in heat, no humping. And even if I did, those are training issues imho.
Although my rescued females were spayed early (as puppies) Buddy I thong was left intact before coming into rescue.

If I ever got a dog from a breeder, male or female. I think that I would leave them intact at least until 18 mos of age for males & allow the females to go through one heat before spay. Since I am in an area where I could manage an in heat female
__________________
If there are any typos, it means I am on my phone LOL



Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,032
Default

Does anyone have actual stats or a quote that states the cost of a vasectomy? The only figure I've seen on the interwebs is $1500, which at least in this area is significantly more than a traditional neuter.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
Nuke it from orbit ...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Does anyone have actual stats or a quote that states the cost of a vasectomy? The only figure I've seen on the interwebs is $1500, which at least in this area is significantly more than a traditional neuter.
Thats what it is here also. depending on the imediate area, some cities can be more. which is waaay too rich for my blood.
__________________
If there are any typos, it means I am on my phone LOL



Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

In theory, a vasectomy should be cheaper than a neuter. I need to make some calls, now, because I'm curious.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Here's one I found on a quick internet search (it's a holiday weekend, I can't do anything more than this until Tuesday):

Quote:
After a lot of research, I was able to find a vet nearby who was both experienced and willing to give my puppy beagle a vasectomy instead! I live in CT. The cost for the procedure, monitoring, anesthesia, post-op care, and anti-inflamitories to go home is $378. Required pre-op blood-work is $50.
That's $428. That's less than it costs at my clinic for a traditional neuter. I'd be 100% fine with that price. Granted, I may as well keep my dog intact and unaltered unless it's a contractual obligation to sterilize him. The ONLY thingit does is prevent puppies, and I can do that on my own. BUT, if AKC accepts vasectomised as neutered for their Canine Partners program, I'd definitely choose that in order to be able to compete with a mixed/non-pedigreed dog.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site