Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I think I'm getting hang of it...was a bit of dry spell due to cold/rainy weather last couple days, but today is nice and we all ready got some practice on a lady working out on her yard and a guy mowing the lawn. Overall, I think he's doing well...he's def not obsessing once he gets his treat and I haven't heard a snort since we started doing this [sure I just jinxed myself]. He'll look back at them here and there, and if it seems like he's fixating...I just treat and he refocuses on me.

The petting thing is difficult right now...I didn't even think about it, but people really aren't even asking if it's ok [they usually do with my adult dogs]. They are allowing him to come to them and sniff first, but after they automatically reach for top of head. I just need to learn to be more vocal and instruct them as suggested.

I think I found an obedience class, so hopefully that will help too. Thanks again all!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applebear View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I think I'm getting hang of it...was a bit of dry spell due to cold/rainy weather last couple days, but today is nice and we all ready got some practice on a lady working out on her yard and a guy mowing the lawn. Overall, I think he's doing well...he's def not obsessing once he gets his treat and I haven't heard a snort since we started doing this [sure I just jinxed myself]. He'll look back at them here and there, and if it seems like he's fixating...I just treat and he refocuses on me.

The petting thing is difficult right now...I didn't even think about it, but people really aren't even asking if it's ok [they usually do with my adult dogs]. They are allowing him to come to them and sniff first, but after they automatically reach for top of head. I just need to learn to be more vocal and instruct them as suggested.

I think I found an obedience class, so hopefully that will help too. Thanks again all!
In my puppy class, we actually practice saying, "Sorry, he's not ready for attention right now!" etc because it's so hard for most people to say no. When they try to reach for him, call him back to you and put yourself between him and the person (you can be subtle about this) and then explain that he needs to be approached a certain way.

Also, if anybody ever comes barreling at you with obvious intentions of getting up in your dog's space, the traffic cop hand, outstretched, does a great job of getting people to put on the breaks.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Big Dog

Thanks Emily, I am seeing more and more I'm going to have to get firmer. Yesterday I told a neighbor that approached to pet him under the chin. He did real well with this, though I was treating him, he went right up to her and tail was wagging entire time. At end just as she was about to walk away, she reaches from above down onto his head without warning and that ruined that.

Ever since I started the treating, he's improved greatly with a couple exceptions...yesterday a guy on a mobile scooter came up and he snorted once. I actually treated him in time [before the snort], but then the guy distracted me by asking questions and that gave opportunity...unable to leave, I just dropped some treats and answered his questions. He seemed fine with this and became indifferent even when I became too distracted to keep dropping treats.

I had some hopes I could use this pup for a psychiatric service dog, but I think I choose poorly in that area and probably should of gone for his more outgoing sister [I wanted a boy]. I am not seeing issues with him being around the public, but issues with the public themselves. Adults 'usually' have common sense, but more worried about the unsupervised child just running up and not knowing better [parents should know better, but that's a whole other subject].

I start class next week, so we'll see where he is by the end of that. I think our biggest hurdle now is strangers touching him.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Active Pup

After I brought Krystal home from the shelter, she started with her fear barking of other dogs. It got so bad people were afraid of her, and I didn't know how to handle it.

Luckily we were starting a training class and the instructor had 4 terriers. Krystal's half Westie and half Poodle, weighing in at 10 pounds.

The instructor told me to start praising her the moment I saw another dog in the area, expecially if it's before she sees the other dog. I was instructed to "good dog" over and over. The intent was to get her attention on me, not on the other dog.

It was slow to take affect, but it eventually did and life got a lot better for the both of us. I still repeat "good girl" when encountering new dogs, or dogs where there's a history of growling/barking between them. I also shorten the leash. She's a great dog, and now she can calmly walk by another dog who's barking away. And, she has dog friends, which I never thought would happen.

My suggestion is to combine the treats with the "good girl" method. That could be very powerful and help your dog get through life easier.

My blog is OhHappyDogs
Old 03-22-2014, 01:52 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I personally don't like to be in public and have tons of people always touching my dogs, sure I take them into public and get them used to a variety of different settings, but I don't want them to think that they are going to get harassed and bombarded every time they go somewhere.

he sounds like he doesn't care for stranger touching and if he doesn't want it then he shouldn't have to go through it. I would start at a park, at a distance to strangers who are ignoring him and do the steps in the link (which is very good by the way).