Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

Why not just get point of lay pullets from a local hatchery? They'll likely be about $8 each, and be a productive breed/strain that does well in your area.

That way you don't have to worry about 1/3 chicks dying due to whatever and another's a rooster, etc. They'll be pretty plain-Jane and you won't have raised them from babies so if one is a dud/when they stop laying you won't feel so bad eating them.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Fishies!

I don't think we have local hatcheries. Does make sense if I go for a more common breed though.

CL has "pullets" for around $20.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

I love bantam Cochins. My absolute favorite breed but not really the best if you're looking for layers.

I had a couple of barred rock crosses. They were such pretty girls and very friendly! But my favorite girl is a red sex link. I call her Ophelia. She's actually very dog-like but gives nice, big, brown eggs.
Jolly Roger's Copper "Penny" - 05/08/13
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
I don't think we have local hatcheries. Does make sense if I go for a more common breed though.

Look for poultry auctions, you may be able to find a 'lot' for a good price.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

Hmm... I'm in Vancouver, BC and that's how I got most of mine (they were 45 min drive). If there's anything I've learned about US, it's that if we have it in Canada, there's a better selection of it at a better price in the US . We heard about the place through word-of-mouth but it's in the yellowpages as well (it doesn't have a website).

Our other source of birds was a Craigslist guy who was relaying retired layers from a commercial place for ~$7. One was a dud but some others were pretty good. I still have one and she's laid an egg a day for several years now.

$20 seems like a hell of a lot for a run-of-the-mill hen.

ETA: BTW, I have Bovans Browns.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post

http://www.manta.com/mb_44_C00FE_38/...cheries/oregon

http://www.oregonpoultryswap.com/p/p...atcheries.html

Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Taxiderpy

Craigslist is expensive for pullets, but I guarantee they sell at that price. Last year I made a small mint hatching eggs in a home made incubator and then selling 12 week old birds for $15 each. They go like hotcakes.

Since there's a city limit, here's what I would do if you can't find three started birds that you like.

Get some chicks, 6-12ish. Preferably sexed but at that number you should have at least three hens in the bunch.

Raise them until they're well started. By 6-8 weeks they'll be feathered out, and when they're chicks there's really no difference between having 3 vs. 10 except that the more you have the warmer they keep each other so you don't have to worry about them as much when you start hardening them off to cooler temperatures.

Anywhere between 6-12 weeks you should be able to sex them by sight (unless they're cochins, darn androgynous cochins...), have an idea of looks/personalities. Pick your three favorites. Put the rest up on craigslist for anywhere from $8-$15. I guarantee people will buy them. If you start with enough chicks you'll recoup all your startup money + some extra to buy feed for the keeper birds.

ETA: I've been to Shanks hatchery in Hubbard, OR and they have really healthy birds. I think they're called Lazy 54 now. They carry a ton of different breeds.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Fishies!

Looks like Shanks/Lazy54 closed.

The local store gets them from Farwest and a non local hatchery.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Fishies!

No plan survives first contact?

2 Welsummer
2 Orpington
2 RIR

Welsummers are 3 weeks, Orps should be 1 or 2, and the RIR are probably 1 week old (brought in last Fri, but could have been the week before). The older ones have the size, but the RIR are very feisty. A Welsummer grabbed a piece of pine and it was promptly stolen by a down covered chick.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like a nice little flock! You should post some pics soon!!

I think you should keep them all unless you get a complaint (: