Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 AM
SpringerLover's Avatar
SpringerLover SpringerLover is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B-ville
Posts: 3,085
Default

Tunalini is $62.49 or $62.99 I know that much... which means Surf and Turf is going to be less...?
__________________
Megan and the Aroha English Springer Spaniels
To Infinity and Beyond! ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC 5/4/1998-5/20/2014
The Hallway Monitor Bailey VCD1 RE NAC NCC TN-N CGC 14 years
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

I've been very pleased with the Victor line of grain-free. If you can find it, it's an excellent choice. The ONLY kibble I'd prefer to feed over Victor is Orijen...but it's crazy expensive here, and when I did try a small bag Logan has diarrhea on it. He hasn't had loose stool with the Victor unless he gets into something else he shouldn't (like catching and eating starlings ). I pay anywhere from $36-$45 for a 30 lb bag of Yukon Salmon and Sweet Potato GF Victor. I get points every time I buy food and then I get discounts with points.

Would a pre-made or ground raw work for him? Pre-made from a store might be insanely expensive for a dog his size, but you could give it a shot, and if it works, invest in a meat grinder and grind your own pre-made raw for him. Or you could try something like Honest Kitchen or Sojos.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 AM
kady05's Avatar
kady05 kady05 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I've been very pleased with the Victor line of grain-free. If you can find it, it's an excellent choice. The ONLY kibble I'd prefer to feed over Victor is Orijen...but it's crazy expensive here, and when I did try a small bag Logan has diarrhea on it. He hasn't had loose stool with the Victor unless he gets into something else he shouldn't (like catching and eating starlings ). I pay anywhere from $36-$45 for a 30 lb bag of Yukon Salmon and Sweet Potato GF Victor. I get points every time I buy food and then I get discounts with points.

Would a pre-made or ground raw work for him? Pre-made from a store might be insanely expensive for a dog his size, but you could give it a shot, and if it works, invest in a meat grinder and grind your own pre-made raw for him. Or you could try something like Honest Kitchen or Sojos.
Victor was one I had seen also, but no one close to me sells it. There is one store that does but it's a 30mi. drive.. does anyone online sell it that you know of?

Either way, I decided on the Nutrisource as a tester. It's lower in protein than anything else I tried him on when he did eat kibble, so I'm interested to see how he does on it (since he has issues with loose stools on the higher protein kibbles). Plus I got it on doggiefood.com for $43 for a 30lb. bag & a bag of treats.. free shipping over $49 and 17% off if it's your first order. Yay.

Pre made or ground would probably work, as it seems to be the chewing part (his mouth/teeth have been checked, blood work is all completely normal, btw) that gets him all.. weird. You know how most dogs are all "FOOD! YAY!" when you're making their breakfast/dinner? Sako now runs and lays in the other room.. it's like he dreads eating. He DID eat bone in chicken this morning, so that was great. But I'm just done "fighting" with him over this, so we'll see what he does with the kibble and go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 AM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,543
Default

Quote:
PureVita is still slightly under, the most expensive variety is just $60 I believe. Fromm is around $60 - between $55 and $65.
Lies, the bison PV GF id 62.99 and I know salmon is over $60 too
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 AM
JustaLilBitaLuck's Avatar
JustaLilBitaLuck JustaLilBitaLuck is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,914
Default

Really? I could have sworn the labels were still in the $50s...Maybe I'm a few price changes behind .
__________________
Megan
| Jack - Lhasa Apso | Missy - Rottweiler | Heidi - Cocker Spaniel | Sassy - Siamese | Emmy & Oscar - Parakeets |
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Hillside's Avatar
Hillside Hillside is offline
Original Twin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Victor was one I had seen also, but no one close to me sells it. There is one store that does but it's a 30mi. drive.. does anyone online sell it that you know of?

Either way, I decided on the Nutrisource as a tester. It's lower in protein than anything else I tried him on when he did eat kibble, so I'm interested to see how he does on it (since he has issues with loose stools on the higher protein kibbles). Plus I got it on doggiefood.com for $43 for a 30lb. bag & a bag of treats.. free shipping over $49 and 17% off if it's your first order. Yay.

Pre made or ground would probably work, as it seems to be the chewing part (his mouth/teeth have been checked, blood work is all completely normal, btw) that gets him all.. weird. You know how most dogs are all "FOOD! YAY!" when you're making their breakfast/dinner? Sako now runs and lays in the other room.. it's like he dreads eating. He DID eat bone in chicken this morning, so that was great. But I'm just done "fighting" with him over this, so we'll see what he does with the kibble and go from there.


What I like about the Nutrisource and why I think it helps Nico's poo issues is the added pro/probiotics and the fact that it has a higher fiber level than most grain free foods, plus the fat and protein levels aren't super high. So far I'm extremely pleased with it. If I remember correctly, I don't believe the company has a recall, either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Whitewave Whitewave is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 184
Default

I didn't have the greatest results with Victor on my Greyhounds, but the place I get it from has American Bullies and most of the people who buy it own APBTS, ASTs and American Bullies and they seem to do really well on it.

http://www.rocketpetz.com/m-17-victor.aspx

This place just reduced their outrageous shipping prices and some formulas are free to ship.

http://www.victorpet.com/
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM
kady05's Avatar
kady05 kady05 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
What I like about the Nutrisource and why I think it helps Nico's poo issues is the added pro/probiotics and the fact that it has a higher fiber level than most grain free foods, plus the fat and protein levels aren't super high. So far I'm extremely pleased with it. If I remember correctly, I don't believe the company has a recall, either.
Yup, that's why I wanted to try it. We'll see how he does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewave View Post
I didn't have the greatest results with Victor on my Greyhounds, but the place I get it from has American Bullies and most of the people who buy it own APBTS, ASTs and American Bullies and they seem to do really well on it.

http://www.rocketpetz.com/m-17-victor.aspx

This place just reduced their outrageous shipping prices and some formulas are free to ship.

http://www.victorpet.com/
Good to know, thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
tucksmom's Avatar
tucksmom tucksmom is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 40
Default

Fromm Four Star is what has worked best for us. I have tried so many other premium dog foods and just don't think any of them compare. I stick with the grain free formulas. The largest bags are around 63 on chewy.com. There is also the Fromm Gold if you're watching money which is more around 50 a bag.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site