Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

Nose Work?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Nose work actually might be ideal, as far as the sort of activity he's allowed to do. But - and I say this with love - I think Gusto qualifies as disabled as far as smelling ability goes. He is *terrible*. I think that might be why he's so heavily distracted by smells at agility and hiking; he can't find the smell for the longest time. If I drop a treat on the ground, it can be two inches from him, and it takes him forever to find it.

Luckily the weather is holding up for us; upper 70s and sunny. Having to walk him on-leash through the woods to get to the swimming area is a pain, but he's been really good about just going back and forth fetching sticks, and not bolting out of the water to go galloping about. Hopefully the swimming will keep him a bit calmer! I give serious credit to those of you who are doing this with dogs that need full crate rest.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Another 6 weeks lead walking

Do I win a prize???

Although we have been given the ok to start hydrotherapy!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

You win a case of beer and my sympathy.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
You win a case of beer and my sympathy.
Agreed. We can't start swimming for another 4 weeks and 4 days. Leash walks until then, although on Monday we can increase to 20 minutes twice a day instead of 10.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Sit! Good dog.

We are also up to 20 mins. Huzzah.

We can increase by 5 mins per week too, so it's not all bad... And they've ok'd us to go back to training as its all lead work, and as long as its very low impact. Double huzzah! And they've also ok'd showing, again as long as we don't over do it. But trotting round a ring is ok.

He's still sore in his right shoulder (when manipulated), and has some muscle atrophy so is obviously still not fully weight bearing (you can't see this, they felt it).

But they said it will continue to improve, and we need to bring his strength up...

No need for a follow up appointment, just phone them in 6 weeks. Continue with meds.

Fingers tightly crossed........ I am waiting for them to say, ok you can let him off the lead..!!

And waiting for him to instantly injure himself in his excitement throwing himself into something
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
And waiting for him to instantly injure himself in his excitement throwing himself into something
THIS! So much THIS!

I am so worried about the day we are given the thumbs up for off leash. He already tries sneaking in the giddy, silly, jump/bucking bronco impression right after we walk down the steps onto the grass. I have to be ready to tighten up on the leash so he doesn't have room to jump.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
THIS! So much THIS!

I am so worried about the day we are given the thumbs up for off leash. He already tries sneaking in the giddy, silly, jump/bucking bronco impression right after we walk down the steps onto the grass. I have to be ready to tighten up on the leash so he doesn't have room to jump.
Ha yeah. You should have seen Fred when he was stalking a blackbird and a rabbit ran past. He managed some self control for about 30 seconds bless. Then he was a tigger on a piece of string. We often compare it to walking a tigger

He's ok on his lead walks as long as I don't take Bodhi. He gets lost in smells and sights though, so we've been working on me standing still and not moving again till he remembers to give me eye contact. He seems to be figuring it out

I think he'll be full pelt when he is let off though... I just think he's forgotten about running for now...

Old 05-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Top Dog

Gusto went back in for another laser appointment yesterday, and got a gold star. I haven't seen any lameness in the last week, and the vet could not longer feel any sensitivity. One more week of gradually increasing his leash exercise, and after his next laser appointment, if things look good, he can go back to a bit of agility, with a goal of having him able to run a few courses by mid-June. Still no off-leash, outdoors running, which is what I miss most. She worries that in his insanity, with the uneven footing, he will do more damage than any agility could do.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Top Dog

Oh, and because it came up earlier - he LOVES his Back on Track coat. Obviously I have no idea if it is healing him or he's healing himself, but he practically begs to have it put on at night. This is a dog I have to wrangle to get into his winter coats for walks. I wanted to let him and Meg share it, so since he's sleeping in it, I went to put it on her after dinner one night. As soon as he saw me with it, he squeezed in between me and Meg and sat perfectly still, waiting for his coat.