Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Default Baby Payton's OFA x-rays

Little Baby P turns TWO YEARS OLD tomorrow.
Since he will be two, we can now finally do his official OFA x-rays. I'm (really really) eager to see how they turn out so I've made the appointment for Saturday morning.
Of course then we have to wait for them to be sent off and graded... it's like two weeks after the rads get to OFA before we get our ratings...
*flail flail flail*

I'm really hoping for an excellent rating. Grandpa has excellent hips, his dad has excellent hips, uncle has excellent hips, a granny on the other side has excellent hips, AND dad has thrown excellent hips before... I'm really hoping Payton inherited the excellent hips! A good rating is fine, but I'm definitely gunning for excellent.

Question - they are going to put him under but it's only light sedation. He has never been put under before. I asked about doing bloodwork and they don't normally do bloodwork for light sedation, but could if I wanted to. Should I bother? I told them if it wasn't routine I probably wouldn't bother but now I'm wondering if I should.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Top Dog

If your vet has digital xrays they can email them, which shortens the wait time

Good luck!

If Goose ever needs put out for something I'm sending hers for funsies (she's spayed). Her dad as excellent hips and that particular line is having more and more excellents in younger generations. Exciting in the Chow world!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I would ask them to try with out putting him under. Im not a fan of vets who automatically put the dog under. Personally I prefer to try without first.

That depends on what put under means as well. As in sound asleep or the dog singing "I feel pretty" to him self in his head. lol

I wouldnt worry about the blood work if it is just sedation.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Ohhh exciting good luck!

If he's never had bloodwork before, I'd do it just because. I kind of wish I had with Jackson so that we had more of a baseline to go off of ... when I was thinking he had pancreatitis, and they were doing bloodwork that kept coming back kinda high on this one thing, I just didn't really have a base to go off of to know if it was his 'normal' or not, since he'd never had the bloodwork before.

So ANYWAY, if it were me, I'd probably do it just for the heck of it. I also just like to hear "everything looks good" It's peace of mind.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Ooohhh I am going to be doing the same thing with Kastle on Monday - I am also super excited/nervous. No need to be nervous, his pedigree is full of good hips. I just am! Ahhh!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

I have no experience to draw on for advice, just wanted to wish him and you good luck!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

For sedation, I wouldn't do blood work. Sedation doesn't usually mean knocking them out all the way. Just making them drunk enough to cooperate Some dogs don't need to be sedated, but in general it makes for better OFA films (for regular diagnostic xrays most dogs don't need to be sedated at all...but OFA needs to be as perfect as possible).

That said, I do yearly bloodwork on my dogs anyway (I had it done twice on Logan last year, since he had surgery...but I wouldn't have done the second one if it wasn't for surgery). If you haven't had a baseline panel done yet, you might as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Big Dog

Good for Payton to have a depth of pedigree for good hips. My girl is the same way; lots of OFA excellents. Alot of her family is overseas, but her breeder strives for health and temperament above all else.

When we got her done this past November, I didn't bother with the anesthesia blood work. It's such a very light anesthesia that I just wasn't too concerned. Maybe I should have been?

Anyway, she came back OFA good, which was pleasing but I also was hoping for an excellent. Thought about doing PennHip to see her distraction index, but they're so darned expensive and I was ok with the OFA Good that we got.

We also did a spinal xray to see if we could see any calcifications, which would potentially indicate IVDD, but that was clear. Knees and elbows normal. No transitional vertibrae (she's pretty long, so I was surprised that she didn't have one, and in a GOOD way!). Her cardiac came back good. She's PRA clear by pedigree. DM normal (thank God) and her CERF came back normal.

Her dad has extra eyelashes that he has some trouble with, but she has never had anything like that.

The only thing I didn't do was have her thyroid panel done. But, I didn't see the need for that- she's got plenty of good coat, nice skin, clear eyes, and her temperament is excellent for a Cardigan.

Are you going to have additional testing done for breeding or are you just seeing what you've got?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Good luck! Are you going to sportvet?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I asked Auggie's breeder her take last night and she was all "meh" about getting bloodwork done. I think I will wait and have it done at a different time - or more specifically, off a different paycheck, since Monday we had an eye exam, yesterday I paid for Auggie's chiro and more heartworm meds, the x-rays coming this weekend, and Pepper had total liquid poo last night so I am totally prepared for an ALL THE DOGS MUST GO TO THE VET THIS WEEK!
He'll be due for his annual in about three months, so I'll have it run then just so we have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
Are you going to have additional testing done for breeding or are you just seeing what you've got?
About a million things depend on if he will be bred or not - this is just step one. He is a sport dog so I would do these anyway, I did them on Auggie as well.

Shai, yep, he did Auggie's too and I trust him to know what he's doing for the rads!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog