Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 AM
frostfell's Avatar
frostfell frostfell is offline
Kung Pow Fish
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 823
Default

Anyone see the irony in his statement? "... with a great attitude and a lot of friends..."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My confusion is slightly, why now then? I mean its a common known fact this company has always been like this and many others share in elitist and often times cruel marketing ploys. So, is it the public statement? Would it be okay if he didn't voice this?

I don't mean this as confrontational at all, it's genuine intrigue and the belief that this isn't a new found mission for the company.
I've known how they really felt once I started working there. Like I've mentioned, Abercrombie and Hollister were brands I liked when I was in middle school through college. They fit me well, I liked the styles, and I would buy the things without plastered logos.

For me, the CEO's views weren't common knowledge. I mean, it was obvious that the store was popular and a lot of people wore it. I never realized hey had size cut offs because I'd just grab my own sizes and not pay attention to the others.

Working there really gave me perspective on how the company runs from the top down. In school I thought it was popular and for "trendy" people because it fell into that niche. I didn't know it was because the CEO was spewing hate. I thought it was the same as American Eagle or any other company in that same category.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
OwnedByBCs's Avatar
OwnedByBCs OwnedByBCs is offline
Will Creep For Sheep
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 588
Default

I do think that it matters that he said it in such a public way. If Joe Schmo down the street says "I hate fat people" in conversation with his neighbor- it probably won't negatively affect anyone (unless that neighbor is fat), or at the most a few people. But this CEO saying it- suddenly it affects millions of overweight and obese people, all over the world, all at once.

People who are in the spotlight have to be more careful with what they say than normal people.
__________________

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 AM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

I don't mean it doesn't matter, I'm just shocked people aren't aware without being told.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM
~Jessie~'s Avatar
~Jessie~ ~Jessie~ is offline
Chihuahua Power!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't mean it doesn't matter, I'm just shocked people aren't aware without being told.
You can assume all you want about someone, but no, you don't know how they really feel until the actual words come out of their mouths.

Take American Eagle for instance. They go up to what, size 16? What if the CEO does that for a reason and it's not just to keep their inventory and manufacturing costs down? He hasn't released a statement, so I have no reason to believe that. They're targeting the same demographic as Abercrombie- the clean cut teen/college student/young adult. They were even in a lawsuit for copying an Abercrombie design.

The public statement made by Abercrombie's CEO does matter. Yes, it can be implied that the store isn't for the fat or "uncool" all day until the cows come home, but the words put that information OUT there. You could assume how he felt all you wanted, but now you KNOW how he feels.
__________________

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Tahla9999's Avatar
Tahla9999 Tahla9999 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,104
Default

I have an idea for a small business that I plan to make happen one day. It will be a business that will stay connected to the consumers as far as interaction goes, and it will be an online business. As the business owner, I know there is one thing I don't ever want to do, and that is **** off my customers.

Why? Because when customers are upset with a business, they want that business to fail. In person, they tell the people "I'll never shop at this store again" and for greater affect, they add something like "and I spend my money here all the time, you just lost a great customer!". They do this because they know one of the major ways to hurt a business is a business losing money, and businesses don't want to lose a regular customer who, to hurt the business even more, tell their friends not to shop there anymore. You just lost a butt load of cash. If you are the head of a business, you have be as politically correct as possible, avoid being too direct about certain things. Yes, we all have our freedom of speech, but when your comments will cause people to hate you, they will push that hate on to your business and try collectively to get you to fail. When your career is dependent on people liking you, you HAVE to be careful with what you say. Another example, if a famous actor said in an interview that he hated Asians, there is going to be a public backlash against him. People will protest by stop going to his movies, and directors will be terrified to hire him for their movies in fear of their movies failing due to him. He just lost his career.

People could careless if this store only sells a certain size, this is all about getting back at the CEO for his shameful comments by hurting him where it really matters- his pockets.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Jules's Avatar
Jules Jules is offline
Magic, motherf@%$*#!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
You can assume all you want about someone, but no, you don't know how they really feel until the actual words come out of their mouths.

Take American Eagle for instance. They go up to what, size 16? What if the CEO does that for a reason and it's not just to keep their inventory and manufacturing costs down? He hasn't released a statement, so I have no reason to believe that. They're targeting the same demographic as Abercrombie- the clean cut teen/college student/young adult. They were even in a lawsuit for copying an Abercrombie design.

The public statement made by Abercrombie's CEO does matter. Yes, it can be implied that the store isn't for the fat or "uncool" all day until the cows come home, but the words put that information OUT there. You could assume how he felt all you wanted, but now you KNOW how he feels.
This. It's like shopping at Walmart. You go there because it's cheap. Why is it cheap? Because most/all of their stuff is crap made from China, etc.

I wouldn't go there to shop for quality or American made things, because I'd assume otherwise. And that's fine. Everyone is fine with it and Americans love their Walmart. Now, if the CEO came out saying "We are outsourcing because we hate American workers", that's a different story and I'm sure there would be an uproar.

Not sure why people are so surprised that there's an outcry after the statement the Abercrombie CEO made?
__________________
A dog is a miracle with paws.
T-Bone, CGC
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,565
Default

A lot of Americans are OBLIVIOUS to stuff like this. I guarantee at least 50% of the people who shop at Abercrombie have no idea they don't carry XL or XXL, or that they've had lawsuits for refusing to hire minorities, etc. A good portion of them might hear the CEO say what he said, and not even see it as bullying or problematic, until they turn around and read some of the social media comments.

Heck, do you really think most of the people who shop at wal-mart know where the goods they're buying come from? They might, but I'd bet money that they have NO idea how buying domestically produced goods VS internationally produced goods affects our country or economy. A lot of them probably don't really know what a sweat shop is, or what child labor is. I bet a huge percentage could not tell you the definition of the word "outsourcing".

Most people don't think about where they shop. They either go where it's cheap, easy, and convenient, or they get sucked into going to places with good advertising, whether it's the store's own advertising or the larger industry's as a whole. Very few people look up the stances of the CEOs of stores they frequent, or think about the store's values whatsoever.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
For me, the CEO's views weren't common knowledge. I mean, it was obvious that the store was popular and a lot of people wore it. I never realized hey had size cut offs because I'd just grab my own sizes and not pay attention to the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
A lot of Americans are OBLIVIOUS to stuff like this. I guarantee at least 50% of the people who shop at Abercrombie have no idea they don't carry XL or XXL, or that they've had lawsuits for refusing to hire minorities, etc. A good portion of them might hear the CEO say what he said, and not even see it as bullying or problematic, until they turn around and read some of the social media comments.
Heck, do you really think most of the people who shop at wal-mart know where the goods they're buying come from? They might, but I'd bet money that they have NO idea how buying domestically produced goods VS internationally produced goods affects our country or economy. A lot of them probably don't really know what a sweat shop is, or what child labor is. I bet a huge percentage could not tell you the definition of the word "outsourcing".
I never knew this about Abercrombie, but then again I really never was interested in shopping there, even when I could fit in their clothes. There aren't many places I shop frequently at...I can get most things from the store I work at. I've really been becoming more conscious of where I shop, and do try to research products and buy USA made stuff when I have the option.

A LOT of internet stuff, I don't know what's true and what's not. If I had the choice, I would not shop at my local Wal-Mart, because of poor service and out-of-stock items. I don't think Walmart is as evil as people make it out to be. I've watched a few documentaries on various things, and it seems that Wal-Mart offers products that the consumer wants, period. They are always doing market research. If we as consumers start demanding USA made, they will offer USA made. Unfortunately like you said, a lot of people don't have a clue. The other day a friend of my coworkers' had a hummingbird feeder in her hand, and she says You know what, I don't think I'm going to take this, I can find them cheaper at Walmart. I explained that it is made in the US, locally owned store, etc etc and she still didn't take it.

Alright, now that I've gone completely off topic, I will step out.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site