Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 AM
Bored Now.

Default Non-shedding or longhaired breeds

Trying to figure out what route I want to go, as I need to have some idea in mind in the next year or two.

I want a non-shedder, ideally. I am so tired of fur. I hate it. I am tired of bathing,and blow drying, and lint rolling, and keeping the dog off the bed and off my work clothes. If I have to have fur I want a longhair, preferably single-coated - but I can deal with an Aussie type coat.

I want a clingy velcro dog.

I want a dog who is medium to high energy who will keep me active.

I want a dog who is a little sharp. Not all happy and doofy and "yay I love everyone." Not necessarily protective, but a little more engaging than Middie is.

I preferably not want a breed that is known to be excessively barky. Want the ball? Bark. Excited to see you? Bark. Squirrell? Bark. Someone outside? Bark. DO. NOT. WANT. I can work with barking, but when the default behavior is "bark," I am ripping my hair out. (Otherwise I'd be like COLLIES AND AUSSIES YES.)

I am having trouble deciding on a breed that fits these requirements. At all. I want a Dobe, and that's what I keep coming back to. Every time I think about it, that's the perfect temperament.

Every time I come back to coat, I just want a freaking labradoodle-thing. They don't have the ick factor of poodle coats or wire coats )they always feel greasy). They're long and soft and fluffy and usually low-shedding. But I would feel kind of bad for seeking out a designer mutt.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Aussie Obssessed

I have honestly never seen a Poodle or a wirehaired coat that was well kept and groomed to be greasy. Labradoodles also have wire coats like a terrier, at least the F1 generation does.

Could look at the Portuguese Water Dogs. The two I've known were agility dogs and were not big on barking but that's only anecdotal.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Allons-y!

What about something like a Bouvier? I admittedly know very little about them, but the two that used to be in my agility class had temperaments similar to what you're describing.

Emily &:
Aurai Treasure Island - "Simon"
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Apart from the Velcro dog thing, you want an Afghan hound!
If you don't want to bathe every two kr three weeks then you want an Afghan hound in a puppy clip or even a slightly longer clip.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM
BRT - "the black watch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydogs View Post
What about something like a Bouvier? I admittedly know very little about them, but the two that used to be in my agility class had temperaments similar to what you're describing.
I'll second the Bouvier suggestion. We had Bouv's for 20 years ... gr8 dogs! Assuming we're speaking of a decently-bred, well-socialized, and decently trained dog:

"I want a non-shedder"
- You'll need to cut the hair, or have it cut. But a well-groomed Bouvier sheds about as much as a Poodle (in our experience).

"I want a clingy velcro dog."
- Your Bouv will always want to be with you or, at least, will want to know where you are at any given time. If he's not sitting at your feet, he'll be lying down, right outside your door.

"I want a dog who is medium to high energy who will keep me active."
Couch potato inside, but always ready for any kind of action.

"I want a dog who is a little sharp. Not all happy and doofy and "yay I love everyone." Not necessarily protective ..."
- Watch your lines, but it should be easy getting exactly that. These guys are very tolerant, but are very selective when it comes to sharing affection with outsiders. As far as protectiveness is concerned, in general, the breed has softened over the years. If protection is important, again, choose your lines carefully.

"I preferably not want a breed that is known to be excessively barky."
- They only bark when necessary.

"I want a Dobe, and that's what I keep coming back to. Every time I think about it, that's the perfect temperament."
- Another gr8 breed (we had a Dobe, too). If you don't like shedding, you might not like the Dobe. Those needle-like hairs get in everything!!! These days, health is also a big concern. That aside, generally speaking, I found the Dobe to be overly velcro-y to the point of being needy; the Bouvier tends to be (IMO) a better balanced dog, overall.

Every "bad" Bouvier I've ever come across has been a result of poor breeding and/or poor owners.

I'm not on this forum too often, but if you need any more information about the breed, feel free to PM me.

Good luck in your search!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Porties would be a great choice, we have several at work here. Put an Aussie in a bark collar and you have your ideal dog though. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I probably don't know enough about them to suggest them strongly, but what about a standard Schnauzer?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 05-16-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Standard Poodle
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I probably don't know enough about them to suggest then strongly, but what about a standard Schnauzer?
That's a great choice. I work with one and my coworker breeds them. I'm very impressed with the breed all together.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Lord Cynical

Dobes do shed, but it's not the same as other short coated dogs - I never have to worry about mine with clothes or furniture, because they simply don't shed enough for it to be noticeable.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)