Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Default How much exercise to TRULY tire your dog out?

When is your dog just... really pooped out?

I can take Jackson on a short 30 minute walk and it will 'satisfy' him to the point that he will come home and lay down if I tell him to, but he's not truly 'tired'.

I mean, today we spent 3 1/2 hours at the park today (which we usually don't do that long) and walked about 4 miles and spent the rest of the time in the dog park. Got home around 4. After dinner, my step-dad had a fire going outside so I had Jackson out playing long distance fetch with the chuck-it and just running around for over an hour. Just came inside like 45 mins ago and he started whining at the toy box. Seriously, dog? I told him to go lay down which he did, but jeez, you'd think he'd automatically be tired.

The main time I see him TRULY just exhausted is at my dads house in the summer, where we often will spend 5+ hours outside and he's constantly in and out of the pool swimming, jumping, and running around in the yard in the heat. Those are the only days I see him come inside truly tuckered out.

On an average day, we'll often do a 2 mile walk or a session of fetch in the yard up-hill. It is enough for him to be content but it definitely doesn't exhaust him at all.

So what is your dogs 'exhaustion' point, if they have any? LOL

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

About 2 hours at the dog park including swimming.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Err.. Up until her last day, Rosey needed at least 3+ hours of hiking and swimming a day to make her bearable to live with. LOL and even then...

I never managed to exhaust her, so I'm not sure what would have done it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Twin 2

But seriously, they do get "tired" in the sense that they come in and fall asleep and maybe aren't as fast to jump up if I leave to go to the bathroom. Especially right now since both are out of shape from winter.

Like today I got home from work and my sister goes "There is something wrong with Traveler. He's laying down and when I move he doesn't get up right away. Is he ok?" and it's because yesterday we did a lot of disc training and then a couple hours at the dog park where he swam a real lot which he isn't used to yet this year. So today he's a little lower key.

Didgie yesterday got a bike ride and about 30 minutes of swim fetch and 15 minutes of up a steep hill fetch and again, more willing to lay down when we got home. But if I get up for the door or make any indication of doing anything she's right there.

Then today Didgie and I spent about three hours at the dog park where she swam and ran A TON. I mean, she's never swam this much before (first few times swimming! Yay!) and I was using the chuck it to the best of it's and my ability.

Right now she's sprawled out on the floor sleeping but ten minutes ago when I took her out she was picking up her disc.

Heat though does seem to do them in pretty well! Stupid Australian dogs.

So, they become content pretty easily but flat out exhausted I've never seen! Which is why I <3 off switches.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I do about 3 miles once a week with mine at the lake, they are content with it, but they could keep going. Most of it is off leash so they are running and playing. I dont know how much would really tire them out to be honest. A few years back we went to a friends in AR and they were in the pastures all day with us, we were on 4 wheelers and they ran and swam all day, a day like that wears them out lol
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM
such sights to show you

Daily something (training class/practice, dog park, long walk/hike, scootering, going nutbar with each other in the backyard for an hour, or skijoring) for 5-7 days in a row to truly, truly tire them out to the point where it's like we don't even have dogs because everyone is napping soundly and doesn't jump up every time we move in case something awesome is going to happen.

To make them pleasant to be around, something 4-5 days a week.
To keep them tolerable, something 3-4 days a week.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer gets worn out after about 2-3 hours on average days. If it's hot she is tired after about an hour. But she's older so I forgive her.

Mia really is still going pretty much all the time. We did 4 hours in the park the other day and she came home and crashed pretty good. She was still keeping good pace at the park though and I am sure she could've gone for quite a lot longer. I don't remember if she was still jumping up at my every move or not when we got home. These days she'll hang out most the day, being relatively quiet, but she's always been a dog that jumps up at every movement. Like today we did about 30 minutes and she's hanging out (awake) on the back of the couch. But she's being good.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
such sights to show you

Also it depends on the weather a bit... warmer = less needed.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'll let you know if I ever find out.

I know my dogs can begin to heat stroke after a bit and last weekend they were pretty easy going after Schutzhund (tracking, obed, Bitework) and dock dogs from 9-3 but they still had enough to go if I asked. They are bred to go all day though. You can tire them mentally and physically but give them ten minutes and they'll give you three more hours.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Both of my guys will go to sleep once we come in from any kind of excursion, they are pretty forgiving. Running or biking is always good, or playtime with other dogs out in a big open space. Definitely the times I've seen them most exhausted is after a really huge hike. We tend to go hiking a lot in the summer and cover a lot of ground, all the way up a mountain, and the dogs are offleash running around the whole time. Also, going on really long horse rides really tires them out as well because we cover a lot of ground, and often at a quick pace. Generally after days like those, they are pretty pooped.