Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh yes, I would never get a Trey again on purpose. Bad choice for me.

But this:

Quote:
It depends on why you got the dog in the first place. Did you want a heart dog? Did you want a sport dog? Did you just want a dog?
I don't know that it's fair to ask a dog 'I will only keep you if you can play this game with me'. I don't know... I have very mixed feelings on all of that.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

That's a tough one. I honestly can't say since I've never been in that position.

I was very lucky with Jackson... I got him with pretty much zero research on anything, had no goals in mind (i.e. I don't think I even knew dog sports really existed), no training goals or real experience. And he turned out to be exactly the dog for me and just what I needed.

We bonded very quickly on his first day home, and during the first few weeks of course I had a few moments of "oh, man, did I do the right thing?" but I don't think the thought of rehoming him ever actually came into my head. Had a year gone by and it was just... an awful fit? I still don't think I could've gotten myself to do it. We've just never rehomed dogs in our family.

I probably would've just gotten another dog (with knowing more dog knowledge) that suited me better, but still kept him of course, and just loved him in a different way.

That said, now, let's say I get a second dog and it's just horrible... I give it 6 months and I just know in my heart it's not going to work, I don't think I'd have a problem giving back to a breeder (assuming my next dog will be from a breeder). But after a certain amount of time, I don't think I could get myself to do it.

Eh. I don't know. I don't think it's something I'd do but I wouldn't judge someone for doing it.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

Everything Laurelin said.

No, I'm not going to ream someone apart for rehoming a dog. It happens, some people do it very well. But there is always going to be a part of me thinking "you should have tried harder".

Quote:
I don't know that it's fair to ask a dog 'I will only keep you if you can play this game with me'. I don't know... I have very mixed feelings on all of that.
Mine really aren't mixed. If you want something with a guarantee to perform, get a car. I love agility, I would be heartbroken if I couldn't play anymore (and the thought has been going through my head with Meg ready to retire and Gusto's injury), but if tomorrow I find out they are both done agility, they would still have lifelong homes with me. And I have a two dog limit where I live. My desire to play the game is less important than my commitment to my dogs.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Oh yes, I would never get a Trey again on purpose. Bad choice for me.

But this:

I agree. But I also am not 'into' dog sports. And I don't spend thousands on my dog(s).

If I spent $2,500 on a dog so we could do Rally-O, I'd probably have a different opinion on re-homing a dog I didn't 'bond' with.

As it stands now, I don't really agree with it, but it's not my area of expertise. (I've yet to find that )
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

In a dog with no issues, I'd see it as a very kind thing to do if it were rehomed.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yes, it's very very hard for me to understand this point of view. On one level I do, but on another level I don't. I don't think I'm personally capable of it... but I'll most likely never really be tested on that. And my dogs have all so far been pets first and then "let's figure out what we can do together" second rather than loving any particular activity or sport SO much that I've gotten a dog specifically for doing it.

I know a few people who do have dogs coming in and out of their lives for sports or obedience or conformation or whatever, and it's hard for me to truly wrap my head around. Not that I think it's badwrong or they are terrible people, it's just so foreign to me. I mostly just file it under "tastes differ" as long as dogs are rehomed thoughtfully and responsibly if they don't work out for someone.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Been there. If it is my one and only dog, and I have tried my absolute hardest to build a bond and it failed, I would keep the dog and get another dog that is better suited to my personality. Not that I'll forget the other, it will just be more of a balance. I own dogs for the purpose of that bond, and if we don't click than that just destroys the purpose. Not that I blame the dog for not clicking, just like how some people just can't click with each other, some people and dogs just don't click. The only dogs I tend to have a hard time bonding with are dogs who have no drive to play or be active and at the same time, aren't openly affectionate.

With that said, if someone I know does end up bonding much better with the dog and they expressed interest in keeping the dog, I would consider rehoming.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Having had a dog for 14 years that never bonded with anyone in the family, he bonded with my female Shiba Inu and that was IT, no one else ever. One could pet him, but he never came to see you for any reason at all by choice, like ever! It was sad because he was so bonded to Ruffian that he could never be without her, I had to have him PTS when I had Ruffian PTS because being without her caused him to have seizers, constantly, for 12hours, that's when we brought her home (trial at a friends home to see how he would do) he never even bonded with our other dogs, it was just her, and only her. Had he bonded with another person that was I the rested in him you bet your butt he would have went to live with them, for his own sake. I loved him, and I miss his quirky personality, and I learned from that to not allow my dogs to become that bonded because loosing one because its time, is hard, having to Loose the other one because he looses his mind without her, but is 100% healthy otherwise is brutal, I still feel like I failed him.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I'd actively seek to rehome, but if someone I knew mentioned they were looking for a similar dog, or the dog seemed bonded to someone else I knew, and they decided they'd want to take him or her, I'd give the dog to that person.

It would be very different if the dog was a problem dog in my household, or was supposed to be some kind of performance or working dog and that wasn't working out.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Mine really aren't mixed. If you want something with a guarantee to perform, get a car. I love agility, I would be heartbroken if I couldn't play anymore (and the thought has been going through my head with Meg ready to retire and Gusto's injury), but if tomorrow I find out they are both done agility, they would still have lifelong homes with me. And I have a two dog limit where I live. My desire to play the game is less important than my commitment to my dogs.
Yes, I am in the exact same boat. The thought has been going through my head too recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yes, it's very very hard for me to understand this point of view. On one level I do, but on another level I don't. I don't think I'm personally capable of it... but I'll most likely never really be tested on that. And my dogs have all so far been pets first and then "let's figure out what we can do together" second rather than loving any particular activity or sport SO much that I've gotten a dog specifically for doing it.

I know a few people who do have dogs coming in and out of their lives for sports or obedience or conformation or whatever, and it's hard for me to truly wrap my head around. Not that I think it's badwrong or they are terrible people, it's just so foreign to me. I mostly just file it under "tastes differ" as long as dogs are rehomed thoughtfully and responsibly if they don't work out for someone.
I do get the desire to play the game but I can't help but feel the game is for the dogs, not the other way around. I don't see why 'my dog can't play the pvc pipe obstacle course game' is a good enough reason to rehome but at the same time many reasons JQP has to rehome are not good enough? I don't think us being 'dog people' makes it any different.