Favorite Thing to Do with Rhubarb

Xandra

Either the rain or my dog broke off a bunch of big stalks from my mom's rhubarb plant.

What should I do with them? We just had a crumble the other night. A pie seems like a lot of work.

Many bonus points if you know of something that doesn't have 15 cups of sugar in it!

Paradis

cut it up with a few strawberries, add a small splash of lemon, vanilla, small splash of water, and roughly 1/2 cup of splenda (or a few packets to taste) and simmer on the stove till it mushes down. Oh and put it over ice cream. Usually I'll use a lot less splenda than the 1/2 cup, more like 1/4 cup if I'm putting it on the ice cream.

GipsyQueen

I always make jam!!

I have no idea what the recipe for you would be, because a certian sugar isn't availble in the US :(

Romy

Taxiderpy
Jam. Syrup. om nom nom nom.

I don't drink, but one of my friends likes to make rhubarb wine. I have no idea how involved it is though.

Xandra

Thanks guys! I made crisp last night to get rid of some of it and still have enough for another crisp ++. Apparently you can freeze it, so that's its fate for the time being (not sure I want to get into a big jam project or something right now!). I am totally going to try making wine some day!

I actually didn't think of substituting Splenda for sugar, I might try that! That would make me feel better about most recipes out there.

Some of the salads look cool! I don't mind nibbling on raw rhubarb but a salad of it is a bit much... the recipes where it's cooked and cooled look good though!

Thanks!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I really have nothing constructive to add, except I'd never normally eat rhubarb, but had a rhubarb pudding when we went out the other week and it was THE best dessert I have EVER eaten. Granted it was cooked by a Michelin star chef....

It was rhubarb champagne trifle.

And I nearly died with bliss.

If you can make that, you might too!!

CaliTerp07

My mom used to make strawberry rhubarb pies all the time. The strawberries cut the tartness and lessen the sugar you need.

Members online

No members online now.