Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
Well, that's what I was told. For two weeks after delivery, no lifting anything heavier then the baby and avoid stairs.

And I did feel like I was in a car accident for that two week period of time.

It's pretty exhausting at first.

I don't know how her birthing experience will be, but if she decides to work with her pup, then she will have to find alternate arrangements for his care until she adequately recovers.

I stand by my post.
Meh... that's another "there is no black and white, hard and fast rules".
I had a c-section and felt like a train wreck the first day, was mucking stalls the 3rd day. The 4th day we had an ice storm and I was trying to bring horses in and one reared and I thought I had ripped everything in my gut, but I was fine. I am in NO way recommending this to anyone, just saying experiences differ.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I really think it is valid to say she'll be exhausted and no one should have to, nor really wants to, balance other things right after a baby but many do. I wouldn't weaken Amber before she gets there, only she can judge what she can handle and I guarantee it will be more than she thinks it is.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

I posted like a bagillion pages ago, but I actually kind of completely forgot about my childhood German Shepherd, Sadie.

She was an extremely unstable dog. My dad got her for me when I was 10yrs old so we bonded. And that was the problem... she became SO protective of me. By the time she was 3, she had bitten (that I can recall) my step-mom's father, one of my close friends, and two of my dads friends. And last but not least, at 4yrs old, she attacked a man who came onto our property to check the oil in our house.

All of these were our fault. For the most part, we managed very well, but I forget sometimes how difficult it really was living with her. Any time we knew someone was coming over, we finally started locking her up in the bedroom, but well... people are stupid. When she bit my dads friend, it was because he claimed "every dog loves me" and decided to let her out. He reached out to pet her and she bit (but let go quickly). That was forgiven. My stepmoms father once went into a bedroom where he did not know she was and she got him, but he closed the door quickly enough to not have too much damage. My friend, who was 13 at the time, was being obnoxious and jumping up and down on my bed and Sadie went after her. The last time, she was off leash in an unfenced yard and we did not know the service man was coming to our house. She full on attacked him, puncture wounds, etc, and he had to call AC since he was on the job. They put her to sleep that day. I think they basically told my dad that he was obviously getting cited or whatever, and she would now have a bite record, and if it happened again, there'd be huge fines and a whole mess.

But my dad being the kind of person he was, wouldn't have put her down had that not happened. And he would've continued living the way we did.

But with all that said, my brother Camron was born about 8 months before she was put to sleep... we honestly never even worried about it. She never cared at all about the new baby and if anything, was very protective of him. So that was the main thing we were worried about -- we would put her away when visitors came over because we did not want her thinking they were harming the baby.

But it WAS very stressful from what I remember.

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Meh... that's another "there is no black and white, hard and fast rules".
I had a c-section and felt like a train wreck the first day, was mucking stalls the 3rd day. The 4th day we had an ice storm and I was trying to bring horses in and one reared and I thought I had ripped everything in my gut, but I was fine. I am in NO way recommending this to anyone, just saying experiences differ.
Yes, generally speaking ... People who work with horses are as a whole tougher then the average person . Not claiming to onow for sure lf course ... But I am sure just like every person is different, not all pregnancies or birthing/ post birth experiences are created equal either.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Professional Nerd

Can i just say I hate the term "unstable"? It means very little and is often applied to dogs that are actually very predictable. I don't consider that unstable. We may as well be using the term "crazy". I've yet to see a dog that is truly unpredictable. Perhaps they exist. I've seen many labeled as such that practically took out an ad in the paper warning that they were going to bite, but nobody read it. I don't like to even attempt to diagnose described behavior as I've often seen with my own eyes that what is being described and what is actually happening are so very different. Hence why I don't comment in behavior threads often.

Bamm needs to be seen by a behaviorist in person. If they use the term "unstable" they are not a behaviorist or a scientist. We need to answer the question of why before we can proceed in any direction. As both Adrianne and I both mentioned, my nasty pants of a dog was amazing with my kid. It can go either way, and nobody on the Internet can begin to guess how it will.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Can i just say I hate the term "unstable"? It means very little and is often applied to dogs that are actually very predictable. I don't consider that unstable. We may as well be using the term "crazy". I've yet to see a dog that is truly unpredictable. Perhaps they exist. I've seen many labeled as such that practically took out an ad in the paper warning that they were going to bite, but nobody read it. I don't like to even attempt to diagnose described behavior as I've often seen with my own eyes that what is being described and what is actually happening are so very different. Hence why I don't comment in behavior threads often.

Bamm needs to be seen by a behaviorist in person. If they use the term "unstable" they are not a behaviorist or a scientist. We need to answer the question of why before we can proceed in any direction. As both Adrianne and I both mentioned, my nasty pants of a dog was amazing with my kid. It can go either way, and nobody on the Internet can begin to guess how it will.
Where is that clapping emoticon when you need it?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Where is that clapping emoticon when you need it?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
Which is something Bamm did is it not?
Yes...and I think many people in this thread who are suggesting that a dog that has bitten or may bite isn't necessarily more of a danger, or less of a good pet, than a dog that won't ever bite, are recounting bites they've witnessed or bites they received as children, that never did any serious or permanent damage and didn't escalate without intervention.

It does seem unreasonable for someone to say "No dog who's ever bitten or who might bite should be allowed in a household with children".

It seems just as unreasonable for someone to look at a dog with a bite history that is with multiple bites, serious bites, and bites that have continually been unpredictable for an owner, and say "lots of dogs bite kids, but they're still good family dogs, so maybe he'll be fine around your child".

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
It seems just as unreasonable for someone to look at a dog with a bite history that is with multiple bites, serious bites, and bites that have continually been unpredictable for an owner, and say "lots of dogs bite kids, but they're still good family dogs, so maybe he'll be fine around your child".

That would have been Harry in less capable hands. I could read him like a book, but a lot of people don't have that ability. He got in a couple of live bites with people who didn't take NO TRESPASSING seriously. And, he was damned good with my kid.

That's why I'm saying this Internet Quarterbacking is pointless. He needs to be evaluated by a professional, preferably a board certified behaviorist.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Again, a fantastic post from someone with experience. Thank you for speaking up.