Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippylulu View Post
...Could the problem be something like feeding him too much?...
Absolutely. That's what happened with my Lab when he was ready to go from "puppy portions" to adult. I did what Beanine suggested above (fast for 24 hours, chicken & rice for a few days), then slowly re-introduced his kibble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippylulu View Post
...He was a self feeder but obviously did not self-regulate like all my other dogs have. I am measuring now but its so hard to know how much to give because the amounts on the food bags are too much.
I've never fed the amount of food recommended on the bags. It's always been way too much food for any of my dogs. At 73 pounds, I'd start with a cup of food, twice a day. You can always adjust up or down to keep him at a good weight, just do so gradualy (like 1/4 cup at a time). Two cups a day may not sound like a lot, but that's what kept my 75 pound Lab mix at a good weight (it didn't seem to matter what food I was feeding). Our current Lab needs 2 1/2 cups a day to maintain his weight (75 pounds also).

Oh, and for what it's worth, our current Lab got the runs from TOTW. Even after a slow transition. There's just something about it that doesn't agree with him.