Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Puppy Dog

Default could be IBS

Yes, it could be IBS out of nowhere. I switched him to Nutro Venison and Sweet Potato last night. I didn't transition since he was a disaster on the TOTW Salmon sea select stuff. Results not good today but I am not surprised. I am tempted to give him some diarhea medicine just to slow it all down while he makes the change. Guess I will see how the day goes.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Love my pets

I just want to say that since you switched foods without transistioning over a week or so, the dog is most likely going to have the runs because of getting used to the new food. Again, it takes awhile for a new food to take effect. My vet always says to try a food for at least 4 weeks to see if the dietary change works.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I repeat my advice to fast this dog for at least 24 hours. Switching him to a different food abruptly isn't going to help.

Chicken and rice in a crock pot is easy and very cheap as well. A bland diet can help illuminate things.

Nutro is not that great of a food and was involved in the massive melamine recall in 2007. You could do worse but you can certainly do better as well.
I fed Nutro to Auggie when he was a puppy. When I switched to Canidae it cut my feeding costs in half. If you're worried about cost, especially in the long term, I don't think Nutro is a good idea.

High Prairie is TOTW's venison and bison variety. However the ingredient list is going to be quite a bit different from Nutro. If he doesn't do well on Nutro that doesn't mean the High Prairie TOTW won't be fine.

If you're really concerned about finances, going out and buying different food after different food after different food, switching them around rapidly and not giving his stomach time to adjust, and not fasting him or trying a cheap bland diet isn't going to help. You're wasting money buying a bunch of different bags of food.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Puppy Dog

I see that Nutro isn't exactly the highest rated food. I picked it because of the limited meat ingredients. It also came in a small bag and the feed store I was in had mostly the huge bags. TOTW Venison seems to still have chicken in it but I will double check. I didn't feed him last night, this morning I gave him the Nutro (smallish portion) and things weren't too bad. The good news is that tonight he had 1 1/2 cups, we went on a LONG walk and he didn't poop at all! It may mean he wakes me up in the middle of the night but he doesn't seem gassy or uncomfortable. So, if this Venison based food works out I may look around for a better quality Venison based kibble that I can still afford. Keeping fingers crossed. Part of the problem is that I myself am going through some major health problems (lots of doctors appointments, pain, exhaustion) so taking care of myself, my daughter and the dog is a lot but I think we made progress (I hope). Luckily our second dog can eat anything and always looks good so is happy as a clam with all the changes (gotta love that multi-mutt gene pool).
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
(gotta love that multi-mutt gene pool)
That really has nothing to do with it.

We can't help you if you don't take our advice.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Puppy Dog

I thought I did take your advice--or at least some of it. I skipped his dinner (doesn't that equal 24 hours?), then fed lightly in the morning. Its hard not to give any food becuase he takes medication in the morning and I didn't want him to throw it up on a totally empty stomach. He didn't poop at all last night after his dinner (a miracle) and this morning things weren't too bad. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Now what

What single protein food did you use? I am at my wits end? I thought he was doing better adding Blue Buffalo Basic grain free (turkey base) to the Nutro Venison for sensitive tummies but nope...I think I have to avoid protein and am not sure I have to avoid grains. I am ordering some of this Perfect Form stuff becuase I can't find it anywhere nearby but am at my wit's end regarding food. I simply cannot afford the highest end dog foods (even Blue Buffalo was out of my price range). I yearn for the days when plain Canidae All Life Stages worked for all my dogs. It was affordable and everyone was happy---until now. And what happend to the days when we fed our family dog Ken-L-Ration burger and he lvied to 16 1/2 and that was junk?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Again: STOP CHANGING FOODS. You can't tell anything that quickly. Give it 2-4 weeks MINIMUM. Feed ONE FOOD ONLY in that time. No treats, no mixing kibble, nothing.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Puppy Dog

I have not changed foods. I was adding the Blue Buffallo Basic Grain Free to make a slow change since he wasn't doing so well on the Nutro Venison. It seems to have just made things worse. BTW, he does not seem in any great distress. He is not gassy or having acidents. His stools are just really soft and not formed (can't scoop them up). Something is not right in how or what he is digesting.

Could the problem be something like feeding him too much? He gained weight in the past 6 or 9 months from a healthy 64 to 73 pounds. He was a self feeder but obviously did not self-regulate like all my other dogs have. I am measuring now but its so hard to know how much to give because the amounts on the food bags are too much. Its so confusing...some of the best brands have protein of 32% while others its 20%.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippylulu View Post
I have not changed foods. I was adding the Blue Buffallo Basic Grain Free to make a slow change since he wasn't doing so well on the Nutro Venison. It seems to have just made things worse.
You are mixing kibbles so you can change foods.
This is NOT what you should be doing.
Of COURSE it's making things worse because you keep throwing a bunch of different foods at an already distressed digestive system!

Skipping a single dinner isn't 24 hours... 24 hours is a full day. Two meals. And I would skip AT LEAST two. What meds are you giving him that must be fed with food?

I don't know how you can be at your wit's end when you have not even tried this advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
First of all, no food for 24 hours. He can have as much water as he wants but no food, no treats.

When you start feeding him again, feed him something very mild. Whenever I have an upset belly around here, I get out my crockpot, put some uncooked rice in it, lay chicken breasts on top, cover with water, and leave it on low until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. Store this chicken and rice mixture in your fridge and you will feed it to him for several days. Start off with just a little bit. You are giving his stomach and digestive system a break so don't load up his bowl with food - think about after you've had a terrible stomach bug. You don't want to go right back to eating like you did before, you start with something bland and just a little bit. Same principle here. So just a little bit his first meal. If he does okay with that, feed him a little bit more next meal, then a bit more the next time you feed him.
I make enough that I can feed bland for about three to four days - it should give plenty of time for his system to clear out anything that might still be bothering him from his other diet.
Come back in five days, after you have fasted him for 24 hours then fed nothing but chicken and rice for the next four, and please report to us then what his stools have done.
We can then help you re-evaluate what to do with his diet from there.

NO
KIBBLE
UNTIL
THAT
IS
DONE

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog