Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Should No-Kill Shelthers Euthanize?

What's your take on no-kill shelters? Do you think even no-kill shelters should euthanize dogs for certain reasons?

Just curious.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Yes. Behavior problems, illness. There are too many dogs overflowing in shelters to be saving the space and spending money trying to rehabilitate one aggressive dog, and in the meantime denying 10 other dogs a chance to come to the shelter and be adopted out.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Basically ^ that. I am fine with rescues/shelters that have the resources working with some behavioral or health issues, but I would never judge a rescue/shelter who euthanizes for behavioral or health issues.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I genuinely believe it is not my place to tell others when to kill or keep any dogs. That said there are many that do things, imo, wrong. I would not keep most human reliant dogs alive indefinitely in a sanctuary style setting just as I would not keep most any dog in a kennel run indefinitely as well. For that matter while I wouldn't "waste" my resources on some cases that others do and those turn out for the best.

It's very hard for me to judge them.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I genuinely believe it is not my place to tell others when to kill or keep any dogs. That said there are many that do things, imo, wrong. I would not keep most human reliant dogs alive indefinitely in a sanctuary style setting just as I would not keep most any dog in a kennel run indefinitely as well. For that matter while I wouldn't "waste" my resources on some cases that others do and those turn out for the best.

It's very hard for me to judge them.
I do agree with this. It's a complicated issue. When I think about it practically, it's hard to justify spending money on one dog meaning others can't be rescued. However, haven't you (general you, because I think a lot of people have) ever known (of) a rescue dog that came in injured or ill and needed a lot of work and love? Didn't you root for that dog to get better? Didn't you think that life was worth saving?
I know some people who would consider it a waste of resources to go to the moon and back for my OWN dog, which I absolutely would.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

I've never seen ano-kill shelter that didn't do at least some euthanizing..

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM
such sights to show you

Honestly I've been extremely soured by a few no-kill rescues that do stuff like... NOT having an open admission policy (only admitting highly adoptable animals and everyone else, too bad so sad) plus trashing open-admission shelters that euthanize; and/or being dishonest about an animal's medical or behavior background; and/or cutting owners loose with absolutely no support and refusing to take animals back when those undisclosed problems crop up.

The end result of which being that the mere phrase "no-kill" gives me an eye twitch.

Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I've never seen ano-kill shelter that didn't do at least some euthanizing..
There aren't truly any "no-kill" shelters. Only "low-kill" shelters.
Top Dog

For the right reasons. The animal being too sick/injured, extreme aggression towards people that makes it too dangerous to live in a household, etc.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Honestly I've been extremely soured by a few no-kill rescues that do stuff like... NOT having an open admission policy (only admitting highly adoptable animals and everyone else, too bad so sad) plus trashing open-admission shelters that euthanize; and/or being dishonest about an animal's medical or behavior background; and/or cutting owners loose with absolutely no support and refusing to take animals back when those undisclosed problems crop up.

The end result of which being that the mere phrase "no-kill" gives me an eye twitch.
That doesn't sound like any thing I've ever experienced!

I've never had a problem with euthanasia in no kill rescue, and I'm equally surprised when people don't know that it happens and the phrase no kill is a misnomer itself. My problem is who makes the big needle decision and why. Some rescues do this MUCH better than others.