Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I am a dog owner, my dogs are my possessions, and my possessions are protected by laws.

I'm not going to give that up so that someone can feel warm and fuzzy about calling themselves a guardian.
This.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
I am a dog owner, my dogs are my possessions, and my possessions are protected by laws.

I'm not going to give that up so that someone can feel warm and fuzzy about calling themselves a guardian.
^ This.

My dogs are mine. My property. I can treat them like members of the family and dote on them without having to call them my "children", or that I am their "guardian". They are MINE.

Quote:
Call myself and others "guardian" rather than “owner”
Make a lifetime commitment to my animal companions
Adopt animals only never buy or sell
Spay or neuter my animal companions for their health and to prevent overpopulation
Provide nutritious food, fresh water and daily exercise for my animal companions
Care for the emotional needs of my animal companions
Refer to my animal companions as “he” or “she,” not “it
^ And I have so many issues with some of those statements. Actually, all of them, except "Make a lifetime commitment to my animal companions", and "I will provide nutritious food, fresh water, and daily exercise".

Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

No. I own my dogs. I buy and sell dogs, I haven't adopted a dog (although I have fostered) in many, many years. I keep my dogs in tact, and I can call them whatever the hell I want.

My dogs live a **** good life, they're fine with me "owning" them. The way I see it, if they were just "friends" or "partners"- I wouldn't be providing them with free food and a place to live. The trade off for getting everything they need when they need it is that I get final say in the rules, and I get to put silly hats on them and they can't say a **** thing about it.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

This. A million times this.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Nope. I own my dogs. I'm not their guardian, I'm not just taking care of them temporarily until they strike out on their own, or someone else takes them over. They belong to me, and I have full responsibility for them, until they die.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Taxiderpy

Sooo... does being a "guardian" give someone the right to make the decision to surgically remove another being's reproductive organs? Because that's basically done for the "guardian's" convenience.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 PM
*Now with Snark*

I own my dogs. Guardian and companion replacing owners is just a bunch of treehugging BS done by AR idiots that happens to fit well into the marketing emotional to get you to buy more BS championed by retailers like petco and petsmart. So hand in hand they skip down the path of this marketing stupidity and we are sure to see more crap marketed to guardians and for our canine companions. I already get mail for the parent and guardian of Booker like I am getting my kid's report card.

I buy dogs. I raise dogs. I breed dogs. I sell dogs. They are not my mute furry children. I may love them but without a doubt they are domestic animals living a pretty rad life with me as their owner.

In context of this dogs vs child thing, if I hit your idiot kid with my car after he darts out into traffic there is a good chance I may be facing jail time. If I hit your dog after he darts out into traffic there is a good chance you will be paying my insurance premium.

No sane person thinks a dog equals a child.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Puppy Dog

I'm glad so many dog people see it the same way i do! it's just stupid!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 AM
BusterLove

Quote:

This. Exactly.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Duuuuude.

Quote:

Yep, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
My dogs live a **** good life, they're fine with me "owning" them. The way I see it, if they were just "friends" or "partners"- I wouldn't be providing them with free food and a place to live. The trade off for getting everything they need when they need it is that I get final say in the rules, and I get to put silly hats on them and they can't say a **** thing about it.

I want a version of this painted on a canvas displayed in my living room, either in old-timey sepia tones or garish bright colors. No joke. And I'd love the quote beneath it, engraved in metal, but really all I need is the painting. Thanks.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff