Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Aussie Obssessed

I have actually seen better results with gluing with salon glue for human hair. It seems to be easier on the dog, easier to remove, and stay in better.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I used salon glue on both my boys, I saw it recommended online by a few people. Terrible! It's no easier than Speed Sew or anything else to put in, if anything drying time is a bit longer. It stays in - but that's exactly the problem. It REALLY bonds. Baby Auggie had hair being constantly ripped out, at one point he had a little bald spot on his head. Then I had to try and get the remaining clumps out of his fur, which was a joke. With Payton I actually went out and bought the bottle of hair glue remover to try and get it out. I used about half the bottle trying to remove the glue from Payton... one time.

Payton ended up ripping a chunk of skin and fur off his head when he scratched at his ears and it was glued with the hair glue.

In front of his right ear there. I took a close-up shot on my cellphone at the time to send to Auggie's breeder but don't have it anymore, not that anybody wants to see it. It was disgusting, a big open wound, it oozed, it was obviously painful to him - and since it was right where I need to glue his ear to set it, we couldn't set that ear for a few weeks until it healed. x_x

Never again after what happened to Payton. I use Bish's Original Tear Mender now and it's great, dries super fast and comes out super easily with adhesive remover wipes.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Are you dead yet?

Use tear mender or just leave them. I really don't think those look bad and probably won't look weird at adulthood either, but that's just me... I'm not really picky about ears and I think Aussie ears have more personality when they're like Merlin's.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 PM
overdogged

I think they look fine, but if they bother you, try to fix them. I don't regret glueing Bean's ears even though I got a fair amount of heckling for it. I really wanted them to stand. And stand they do. Beautifully.

and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Top Dog

I used to use TearMender, but it's a bear to get out, especially the night before a show. Now I use paper medical tape. It takes seconds to put on, seconds to take out, leaves no residue...I can leave it on until ring time and not worry one bit about pulling it out right before he comes out of the crate. And I usually color it with sharpie so it's less obvious when we're out and about, but that might be tougher with a red merle It stays in place for days, weeks even, which is REALLY surprising since it comes out so easy. I had several people at the last show ask me what it was and where to get it. I get it at the Dollar Tree
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I don't regret glueing Bean's ears even though I got a fair amount of heckling for it. I
From who?

And Bean's ears turned out to suit him perfectly

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Radical.

Honestly? Don't fret. He doesn't have prick ears, he doesn't have hound ears. They appear to be a bit bigger than the usual with thicker leather, but they are nowhere near hound. Examples can be seen here: Clicky
Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Aussie Obssessed

You guys must be using different salon glue than I did...
I tried Tear Mender first but it took way too long to dry (over 5 minutes) and it was way too runny and drippy.

Then I tried the salon glue I bought and it was nice and thick and dried within a minute. I only glued Larks ears between 9 weeks and 4 months, after 4 months she never had them glued again.

I taped Haweyes ears for a short time (a couple weeks) when he was around 6 months old after and he looked AWFUL when the tape came out.

Here he was right after the tape was taken out, I almost cried because they looked so bad, I'm so glad they don't look like this anymore. I don't particularly find is current ears very attractive but they are WAY better than this.

The Aussie breed standard requires lift from 1/4 to 1/2 up from the base. Hawkeye's lift was completely GONE in this photo.

Last edited by Keechak; 05-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Not a Border Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
That is a beautiful dog& a beautiful photo!
Merlin looks fine ..my guess is the majority of people won't even notice& you'll find it more endearing than anything else
Thank you!!

Quinn - English Shepherd